A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY deodorant... does it work?!?  (Read 1064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: July 19, 2010 08:18:20 PM »

Hey there! Since the summer heat kicked in, I've been on a quest for the perfect deodorant. I'm looking for a deodorant that's gentle on my sensitive skin and that works. Yes, I am one of those women who really does stink without deodorant. I've tried a few natural deodorants but I've had no luck so far.

So, I'm trying out a DIY recipe to make my own! The recipe I've made contains baking soda, arrowroot powder, coconut oil and essential oil - lavender in this case. I just made it tonight. If your interested, let me know, and I'll keep you updated on how it works for me.

For those of you who have made your own deodorant, does it work for you? Do you like it? Have you found ingredients that work for you and ones that don't? I'd love to hear about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010 05:39:20 AM »

I've never tried natural deodorant, but part of me thinks tea tree oil would be a great addition as it would kill off a lot of the odor causing bacteria.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahtar
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 01:30:59 PM »

I make my own, though i notice that as long as I'm eating well and don't have PMS, my odor is not bad or strong, so I actually rarely use it at this point. It's of course not an antiperspirant.  http://blvddesigns.wallypop.net/?p=157  I use Amy's recipe from Angry Chicken blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallypop, Affordable cloth diapers, slings, & other products for natural families.
Boulevard Designs, My Etsy shop
One Crafty Girl, My Blog about crafting
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 01:48:12 PM »

Thanks for the comments! So far my homemade deodorant is working fine. But I've just been hanging out at home, so it's not the best test.

I've never tried natural deodorant, but part of me thinks tea tree oil would be a great addition as it would kill off a lot of the odor causing bacteria.

I'm not a big fan of the smell of tea tree oil, but I think you're right. It would probably be great in deodorant.

I make my own, though i notice that as long as I'm eating well and don't have PMS, my odor is not bad or strong, so I actually rarely use it at this point. It's of course not an antiperspirant.  http://blvddesigns.wallypop.net/?p=157  I use Amy's recipe from Angry Chicken blog.

I'm jealous of your lack of stink! Cheesy I eat well, too (lots of organic veggies, not a lot of meat, whole grains, etc.), but if I forget to put on deodorant, I can definitely tell.

How's the texture on the angry chicken recipe? I used coconut oil and it feels very moist and a bit slippery when I put it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindylu
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010 10:28:12 PM »

You can buy a product called Tinosan which destroys the odor causing bacteria.  I add it to a solid lotion bar recipe and then scent however you would want.  It's a big seller for me.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010 12:18:43 AM »

Thanks for the info, Lindylu. I'll check it out.

I've been using my DIY deodorant for the last week and a half and so far it seems to be working fine. It's held up throughout all day errand runs and walking the dog in 80+ degree heat. I think it's a winner! I really like the lavender scent, too. I'm thinking about making a batch with tea tree oil for my hubbers to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindylu
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010 09:43:19 AM »

The other thing you can do is if you find that you're really sweating is dust on some cornstarch to absorb the dampness.  And you're welcome...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating Designs with The Bernina Cutwork Accessory
How to Make a Flower Card for Special Occasions
How to Create Posh Seam Finishes
How to Knit Red Heart Sashay Scarves
How to Crochet Scrap Infinity Scarves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...