A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What does your partner mean about your sewing?  (Read 3228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Idle Hands
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010 06:27:44 PM »

My BF is totally an enabler and got me into sewing.  He started sewing costumes for ren faires and pirate festivals before we started dating.  Usually I'm asking him for advice but I still do my own thing if we disagree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
CurvesMayBeIcy
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010 05:00:26 PM »

My husband is totally supportive of everything I do, thank goodness!!!  I have had several "hobbies" (and still do!)  He's supported my writing, my crocheting, my beading, my making hairbows (which never went anywhere lol), and now my sewing.  I am amazed when I can make what I set out to make, while he acts as though he knew I was going to!  Very very good man!

We do have a small home, several children - 5 still home at last count lol, so there isn't that much room.  He does good humoredly grumble about fabric being on our bed, thread pieces on the floor, stepping on pins (which I am EXTREMELY careful with!), the messy desk, etc etc.  He always encourages me!  I don't like him to pick out fabric - his taste sucks, and I don't like him to go into fabric stores with me either lol.  Not because he complains about price, etc, but because I can be in there for HOURS and never get bored.  He takes 2 steps in and he's ready to leave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010 05:10:39 AM »

I've been sewing since I was a child and married the hubs when we were in our mid-30s. It's too late for him to argue - I was already a firmly established seamstress. As opposed to sewer, which just conjures up memories of really bad smells. Smiley

And, since we live in Sri Lanka, the land of the skinny and petite, and I am neither, it's been a sew-or-go-nekkid situation, so yeah, he's supportive. Cheesy Plus my sewing skills are better than most seamstresses here, so by sewing, I get a better product anyway. Smiley Plus it's cheaper. Even if you add in the cost of the sewing machine against everything I've sewed. And I stitch up his mother's and grandmother's saris for them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniJo85
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010 03:47:33 PM »

My husband doesn't mind because when I'm sewing, I have the door shut and he has the house to himself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be my facebook friend! Willow Grayson (the koala).

http://www.workinginthegreenroom.blogspot.com - My Blog!
http://www.vendio.com/stores/JoliVousHomemade - My Shop!
http://www.wists.com/MeanOrange - My Wist!
WVCrafter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010 10:18:35 PM »

Normally my husband doesn't notice my crafting until my supplies get in his way!  We bought a pair of fold-up director's chairs on a clearance sale but when the boxes were opened we were unpleasantly surprized to find there were no seats or backs included.  I told hubby I could make needed pieces & to my total amazement he actually went to the craft store with me & picked out the fabric he wanted for the chairs (the chairs are for his workplace).  He even went in my craft room to watch me fix the chairs.  Everything was going great 'til he started telling me how to cut the fabric & how I should sew it up & where the seams should be!!!  I looked him straight in the eye & said "Baby, this ain't my first rodeo!"  We both burst out laughing!  I think he may pay more attention to my crafting.....or maybe not!!  lol     Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead & some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
                                                 Dr Seuss
Creatastic
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010 03:59:46 PM »

My husband likes the idea that I have a hobby. He is a computer junkie and is glad that I have something to keep me occupied to give him time to himself. I think sometimes he likes some of the things I make and I don't think he minds me spending the extra money because he spends a lot on his hobbies too. However, occasionally he will make a comment that he is kinda mean even if he isn't trying to be. I was really surprised how many people have supportive partners. I guess it helps keep you motivated that you can actually make something that is awesome. He hates going into fabric stores with me except when I made a cover for the futon in his office. It takes longer for us to pick out something together than it does if I just do it. But for the most part he likes that I make stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010 08:12:50 AM »

My lovely, darling, wonderful butthead of a man can be absolutely cutting with his comments and non-support at times, but he's also my enabler. He understands that clothes off the rack do not necessarily fit well and are not cheap (especially for work - I wear scrubs, and a full set of "budget" scrubs can easily cost $35-40).

He's not a 'normal-sized' guy by any stretch of the imagination. He stands almost 6'4" and is still growing due to a minor thyroid issue, and weighs in at nearly 300 pounds (21+ stone), is very broad across the shoulders and has abnormally short arms. He's tried to make his own clothes from time to time, and appreciates that I've taken over in that category. No matter how much he fusses about material choices, the cost of it all, etc.

He'll whine and complain when I get the machine out - the only place I can set it up is in the middle of the living room - and often makes it problematic for me to use it, since he insists on keeping the blackout curtains closed and the lights off most of the time, but he's the one that bought it for me in the first place. I don't like using electric machines, and we found an old treadle Singer in an antique shop. I came home from work one day and it was sitting there waiting for me.

He truly has a love-hate relationship with my sewing, and that's ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AimeeRose
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010 08:18:12 AM »

Occasionally my hubby gets grumpy about the size of my stash, but for the most part he is very supportive! I've made him hunting clothes (because we are both short, and ready made hunting clothes must be made for the gargantuan 6' plus people!), a dress coat and hemmed innumerable pairs of pants and jeans. He says home made is better quality any way.
  The better quality comment is one I get often from people I've made stuff for as gifts, too.  I got my daughter an out fit at the Disney store, and the seams on the jean shorts come apart after just 2 washings. Now I have to fix them...but the won't come apart again!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyDoe
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010 11:41:46 AM »

My BF is totally an enabler and got me into sewing.  He started sewing costumes for ren faires and pirate festivals before we started dating.  Usually I'm asking him for advice but I still do my own thing if we disagree.

THIS! Very much this. However, I stumbled into sewing on my own, he had previously won an award at one of those faires for one of his costumes. Anytime I get frustrated, he's there to help me sort it out. He is VERY supportive, and dare I say, an enabler at times. I'm a pretty lucky girl to have him, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing Machines:

1954 Singer 319w
1951 Singer 15-91
Brother XR-7700
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010 11:02:36 PM »

I am amazed when I can make what I set out to make, while he acts as though he knew I was going to!  Very very good man!
He does good humoredly grumble about fabric being on our bed, thread pieces on the floor, stepping on pins (which I am EXTREMELY careful with!), the messy desk, etc etc.  He always encourages me!  I don't like him to pick out fabric - his taste sucks, and I don't like him to go into fabric stores with me either lol.  Not because he complains about price, etc, but because I can be in there for HOURS and never get bored.  He takes 2 steps in and he's ready to leave.

You sure we aren't with the same man? You just described my partner lol.I decided to learn crocheting, and last night was my first time. Initially I was getting frustrated, in my head I knew what to do but my fingers couldn't quite grasp the concept and Steve (my bf) told me I couldn't expect to learn it that quick (fooled him, I figured out the first 3 stitches in a couple hours lol) and to stop getting frustrated. I told him if it was him doing it, he'd have pegged the whole thing at the wall by then and he answered "but I'd pick it up again".
Sometimes I'm nervous he won't like something, but generally even if he doesn't like it, he'll think up something I can do to fix it. On more than one occasion I've gone to tell him a solution and he starts to tell me the exact same solution lol.
He's a house painter so he's very good at colour coordination but still finds fabric shops *really* boring.
He's also supportive in that, if I show him something I've made like a scarf or apron, he suggests I could make one for him. I'm never sure if he means it or is just being supportive, but he told his workmates I'm getting good at sewing and now they send all their sewing repair jobs to me to "practice" on lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Demi Lovato Vs Miley Cyrus: Style Battle
Worst Dressed at Golden Globes...Ever?
Different Celebrities With the Same Dress
Grammys Red-Carpet Style
Jessica Chastain Vs Anne Hathaway Style
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...