A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: adventure pants  (Read 2995 times)
Tags for this thread: pants , stretch_fabric , dye , fly , jeans , pocket , embroidery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 19, 2010 09:54:18 AM »

When I was backpacking through Europe, I got used to owning only one pair of pants and wearing them till they fell apart. Initially I selected dark, sensible colors, but by the time I was about to leave France I got a little more daring and opted for bright fuchsia.  Now Im up to three sets of trousers, but I still like the idea of everything I wear being as versatile as possible. I want to go on adventures and get messy along the way, but still look awesome when I get there.

Cue the new adventure pants!

I didnt use a pattern, but Ive made enough pants for myself that I can just cut fabric into the right shape without having to do any prep. The fabric is super stretchy, so I can climb things or lay on the couch comfortably. The fabric was originally a dark grey but I put it through a couple dye baths to create a wonderfully deep purple that will hide dirt and wear well while still being colorful.

In the spirit of thriftiness, the front pockets are made out of a silky pair of my boyfriend's boxers that had a big tear. So yes, every time I put my hands in my pockets I am technically digging around in his undies.

I always like to do something special on the back pockets of pants I make, and its never the same thing twice. I usually come up with a design based on my initials, but I also like the idea of telling a story. So these pants have a star shooting across the back. Its a nice design with plenty of pleasant symbolism. I also did a lot of handstitching details on the pants. I happened to have the embroidery thread in my stash but it wasnt quite the color I had in mind. Luckily, after a washing the extra dye in the fabric toned down the brightness of the thread.

You can see more on my website
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010 09:56:26 AM by julibooli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010 12:58:50 PM »

Best. Pants. Ever!!!

Very very cool Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010 06:53:55 AM »

LOVE these pants - super stylish and look dead comfy as well, plus purple my favourite colour.

I wondered - I noticed at the back there's a piece between the waistband and the main leg part of the pants - is that the same at the front, or does the waistband attach directly onto the leg part??  I've made my own self drafted yoga style pants where I attach the whole trouser part directly onto the waistband, but wanted to try a pair with a piece in between and just wondered if you had any advice on this??

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010 07:57:05 AM »

That piece is called a yoke. It is only on the back of the pants; the front is sewn directly onto the waistband.

I usually use a yoke on my pants because, well... how to put this politely... I've got a lot going on in the back of my pants. What has many times been referred to as a "ghetto booty" gluteus ghettous in Latin. So having the yoke, that extra piece of fabric, gives me more control when shaping the back of my pants so that the fabric doesn't have to stretch over my butt but still comes in nicely at the waist without any gaping. This is also advantageous when I'm cutting out the pieces, since the back of the pants doesn't have to be cut 5" higher than the front.

What's more, I like the way the seaming looks.

I'll assume yoga pants will be made out of ultra-stretch fabric like jersey, and in that case I don't think you'd necessarily need to add a yoke. Those pants are also more loungey than these, which I wanted to look sharp. But I totally understand going for it for aesthetic reasons, so the yoke is two pieces, each a triangle, with the long end the length of one back piece of your pants (about 9 inches), the rise about 4-5 inches, and the side where the back joins the front will only be about 1" high.

You might also try experimenting with different shapes, like a curve.... I think I'm going to try that on some jersey pants I've got on my to-sew list! This really seems like way enough info, but let me know if you've got any other questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010 09:37:31 AM »

These are great! Love the pocket detailing. You button looks like you sewed it on nice and tight, did you make a shank? That gives plenty of room for the other layers of pants to button under it so it does not break. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010 12:36:39 PM »

Thanks so much Juli - that does help tons!!!  I love your stitching, and I was planning on using a contrasting thread and some decorative touches, or possibly hand embroidery on the back pockets, I guess I'd just never noticed this before on jeans/trousers - but having looked through my wardrobe I find that many of them with a more fitted shape all have yokes.  And there was me thinking that yokes were just what you had at the top of your shirt (or inside your egg!! lol)

I'm sadly not blessed in the bottom department, having quite a flat backside (wide but flat), I even wear padded knickers sometimes to give my bum more of a gorgeous curvy shape.  I think I'm going to try cutting some triangles out of cheap stuff and make up some shapes to try, I've got some gorgeous stretchy blue/purple denim, but not enough to make mistakes with if that makes sense, so I'd rather try it on old sheets first.

Thanks again x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010 12:55:51 PM »

It's a yoke as in a yoke of oxen (that's the wooden "collar" that keeps them teamed together) instead of an egg yolk!

The extra seaming on the back of the pants could be done in a way to give the illusion of more curves. Maybe instead of the lines going straight as in a V you could have them curved down like } rotated 90... I can't really find anything on my keyboard that resembles the shape I want. Maybe m? Sorry about your butt, mine brings me comfort in times of hardship and sadness.

@zowiewoahie: The button's sewn tight to the waistband, no thread shank. When I'm sewing on buttons I put two or three strands of thread through a needle and double it (tie them all in a knot at the bottom) so that every stitch is done with 4 or 6 strands of thread. This way buttons are securely and quickly sewn on. I'm it's nothing new to a lot of people, but the day I figured it out I smacked my head and asked myself why I'd never done it that way before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annajeff.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010 10:54:59 AM »

i love the color. these are super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010 07:36:40 PM »

Adorable.  I love the stitching on the back.  Makes them one of a kind.  I hate plain boring jeans and this would be an awesome way to customize them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
rucniradovi
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010 01:26:44 AM »

These pants look great, and fit perfect. I was wondering if somewhere on the net there s tutorial how to attach zipper this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Florian Reads His Poem Worker Bees
Dominque Moceanu Shares Her Olympic Memories
Dominique Moceanu on Her Autobiographic Novel "Off Balance"
Mothership Book Trailer
Jermaine Jackson on Growing Up with Michael Jackson
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...