A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ocean Themed Baby Shower  (Read 6234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: August 02, 2011 12:45:54 AM »

The daughter of one of my mom's close friends and the son of another one of my mom's close friends are having a baby boy at the end of the month, so this past weekend we hosted a baby shower for them. (Apparently friends of the mommy and daddy to be wanted to be at a shower but didn't want to plan one...they asked me if we were going to plan one.)
The theme for the nursery is ocean animals so it was a little hard because honestly, I could not find much already made stuff where I live. (We only have one party store in addition to Wal-Mart.) Plus, once we got the list of addresses to send invitations to, the people count was around 70. Yes...70. So anything I did needed to be easy enough for me to make a lot of and fast.

Here's the invitation (edited to take out last names and addresses.):

We sent out around 65 of them along with matching RSVP cards. It took me a couple of weeks to get the design right.

The Mommy and Daddy to be. I had this genius idea to freezer paper stencil shirts for everyone in the family. His family had blue, hers had green. We were going to use iron on transfers but it got a little expensive when I had to make 10 shirts. My super talented neighbor made the banner behind them. She free-handed the entire thing.

The centerpieces. Ivy crimp bowls with tissue paper wrapped floral foam and we stuck in about 7 cake pops that I stayed up making the night before. (I ended up having to make almost 200 cake pops because we decided to have them available for people to eat so they wouldn't eat the centerpieces.) The fish and the turtles are taped onto a bamboo skewer and stuck in the foam.

The favors. Small boxes with a few pieces of candy in them and decorated with some cutouts. I used a Sizzix die to cut out the boxes and my Create a Critter Cricut cartridge for all the animals. There were about 5 different ones.

The cake. Marissa's sister made it. It took her two nights after working all day to finish it.

The guestbook/scrapbook. I'm not one for "normal" guestbooks, so we set out pages for guests to write messages to the new family on. Then I added more pages with pictures and bound the book before we went to their house the next day. Here's one of the inside pages: 
The black paper is a pocket that we were supposed to stick a copy of the invitation into. But we forgot. Oops.

Sorry for so many pictures. The decorations were pretty sparse because the shower was at someone's house and the weather had been so unpredictable that we didn't want to have all these decorations up and then it rain. (And it ended up raining.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011 07:48:50 AM »

It sounds like you put a lot of work in to this event, and it looks like it turned out really sweet. I love the idea of shirts for the family members. Also, ocean animals is such a cute idea for a babies room, and quite unique. I've never heard of an octopus in a nursery Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Casting Tape for Reality Competition Show
How to Create a Casting Tape for Reality Performance Show
Long Story Short with Darin Brooks
How to Arrange Scenes in a Film Script
How to Ask for Feedback on Your Script
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...