A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: blind hemming a dress  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feedthesquirrels
« on: July 18, 2010 04:30:00 PM »

I've been working on the Coffee Date Dress from Burda Style for weeks and I'm FINALLY finished...except for the hem. This is turning out to be really tricky. I'm sure it doesn't help that I've never really sewn a dress before (my experience is mostly reconstructing t-shirts) and I just had to pick a slippery silk charmeuse to work with.

So I'm trying to do a blind stitch hem right now and following the instructions on this video (http://www.threadbanger.com/post/8120/how-to-do-a-blind-hem-stitch-on-your-sewing-machine) but my fabric just does not want to iron flat. Works fine with a plain square of fabric but since the hem of my dress is circular it just isn't working the same way. I know a blind hem stitch is used for formal dresses all the time so there must be some way around this but I can't figure it out. Can anyone help me out?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010 06:39:07 PM by feedthesquirrels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my sewing adventures at http://shonastitches.blogspot.com
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010 04:50:51 PM »

Personally I almost always hem by hand.  Maybe a rolled hem would work better for you?

http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog/tutorials-tips-tricks/tutorial-how-to-create-a-hand-rolled-hem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010 06:02:24 PM »

I help out at a costume shop sometimes, and we hem our formal dresses by hand with a blind stitch. It gives you more control to tuck the fullness in (since it's circular, when you fold it up there ends up being extra - this may be why it's not ironing flat). You still have to iron the hem, but if it's not ironed perfectly you can fiddle with it when sewing it (at least that's what I do), then you can iron it afterward and the stitches will hold it in place while you do so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010 06:49:12 PM »

I just wanted to say - It's not just you! hemming curved skirt pieces is always a pain to me, in part I think because some of it is bound to be on the bias, and as mentioned above, there is a little extra fullness you have to ease in as you go. My tip would be to keep your seam guage handy and use it often!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
feedthesquirrels
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010 07:04:16 PM »

I think I'm going to have to learn some hand-hemming here. I really don't see how anyone does this on a skirt or dress by machine. I've been trying to avoid hand-sewing because I seem to have lost all of my needles and I've been eager to use my new presser feet, but by now I'm just ready to have this thing finished! Thanks for all the advice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my sewing adventures at http://shonastitches.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crayon Lipstick
Insider Tips on How to Master the At-Home Facial
Chocolate-Covered Almond Self-Tanner
Most Expensive Manicure
Insect Secretions to Reduce Cellulite
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...