A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,203
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer dress or top?  (Read 3015 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fontiua
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010 08:58:00 PM »

super cute great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
luckdragon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010 10:45:14 PM »

It looks super cute on her as a dress, but I agree with everyone else...if she's more comfortable in pants, I'd go mid thigh. 
What pattern did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
Emeraldcutie
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010 07:22:12 AM »

I think it looks great either way, is the fabric light enough where you could temp tack it up for the top,then let it out for a dress.
It is very pretty, I am also curious about the pattern used. My daughter would love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gizzybird
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010 11:28:50 AM »

It looks super cute on her as a dress, but I agree with everyone else...if she's more comfortable in pants, I'd go mid thigh. 
What pattern did you use?

She chose the pattern, it was a simplicity  Roll Eyes 2882, view C. Of course it required some reworking for me as simplicity patterns usually do. I don't always follow the recommended instructions Wink . First, her measurements had her between a size 14 and 16, of course having used their patterns before, I cut a size 12 and ended up having to take that in after I fit her. Looking back, I should have cut the size 10. Also, the piece for the back of the bodice back ended up being about 1 1/2 inches too short after I put the front pieces together. Luckily, I had bought the recommended yardage so I had plenty left over to cut new back pieces that were longer. I'm going to use the short back pieces to make a bag for her to carry her phone and lip gloss in at the wedding. Hate to waste that cute fabric! The straps are also on backwards on her dress. They are curved and when I tried to put them on the way the pattern suggested, the only way to get them to lie flat on her shoulders was to have them criss-crossed in the back. I actually wanted to keep it that way because I thought it was cute but she overruled me. So the front of the straps are actually attached to the back of the dress.

It was a pain figuring out the changes as I went but overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm thinking about knitting a black, lacy shrug to wear over it if anyone knows of a quick, easy pattern. I only have a couple of days to make it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010 01:01:12 PM »

I think the pants win -- she likes it better, it definitely looks sassier and more hip (even in the pictures of her she looks sassier in the pants; in the dress alone she looks kinda sheepish Wink )  AND, because she's blonde and on the pale side, just the white dress makes her look a little unicolor. Wink You know, washed out. The pants give the outfit that extra kick of bold color that picks up the black music notes. Boom!  Wink

The dress itself looks great, though -- nice job, AND nice job wrangling with all the silly pattern instructions and defects! And I love the idea of a music notes dress. Fun!

As for length, that length looks OK to me over pants . . . and it could also go up a few inches if wanted; I agree with the "no higher than mid-thigh" as posted earlier. (black shrug would be fine, but certainly not required, if it means two days of furious knitting! ;o)

woot! well done. have fun at the wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Farm Themed Crafts Using Stencils
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric Waterproof Finish
How to Etch a Monogram on Glass
How to Transfer Photo Images
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...