A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 303,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer dress or top?  (Read 3226 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 17, 2010 10:11:08 PM »

I'm finally getting back into sewing and knitting after 2 years of working and going to school at night. Now that I'm finished with school (yeah!) I finally have a finished project to post! I made this dress for my daughter to wear to an upcoming wedding but we're debating whether it should stay as a dress or if I should hem it shorter and make it a top for her to wear with pants. I think I like the dress better since it's for a wedding but she says it's better with pants. What do you all think? Dress or top? If I shorten it for a top, how much shorter do think would look best? (Ignore the weird face, she hates having her picture taken Smiley)

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010 10:17:57 PM »

ooh that is cute! i love it as a dress  Wink

October Crafty Inspirations! I made it!http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361238.0

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010 10:19:17 PM »

I think it looks very cute as a dress especially for a wedding but if she's more comfortable in pants than a dress (as I usually am) i would say take it up to upper/mid thigh so you don't lose the fullness of the skirt. Nice work either way!

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010 10:21:27 PM »

I would leave it as a dress for the wedding, and shorten it afterward so she'll get more use out of it. I think it's really cute both ways.... is that music fabric I spy?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010 10:22:32 PM »

Personally, I love it long with pants! But if she wants it shorter I would make it hip length. Either way you did an amzing job! And congrats for finishing school!
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010 10:52:15 PM »

i like it better with pants but i typically sport all my dresses with pants.  i think the length is fine with the pants as is but wouldnt go any shorter than mid thigh.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010 07:42:23 AM »

I like the look of it with pants as is, seems like lots of hip kids are wearing pants and skirts/dresses together.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010 08:03:10 AM »

Thanks for all the replies!

shan-E-bear, she is definitely more comfortable in pants, she'd wear jeans to the wedding if she could! I guess with her knees all bruised up from volleyball Tongue , the pants would probably look better anyway.

BluAndRedCows, yes, that is music fabric. We were actually shopping for fabric to make a shower curtain and she saw it and fell in love and begged me to buy some to make an outfit to wear to the wedding.

I guess I better grab my scissors and start trimming!

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010 08:29:31 AM »

i think it looks great as a dress, thats how i would wear it. but if she's going to wear it with pants i would shorten it for sure.

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010 09:47:36 PM »

I would leave it as a dress for the wedding, and shorten it afterward so she'll get more use out of it. I think it's really cute both ways.... is that music fabric I spy?
I agree completely! It looks awesome as a dress and it's perfect for the wedding, however, if she's more comfortable with pants, you can cut it a couple of inches below the hip and it'd be perfect Smiley
Really amazing work by the way!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Takoyaki to go with your Beer
Some basic ingredients for Chinese food
Seasoning A New Carbon Steel Wok - Chinese cooking
Prepare an Onion in Chinese cooking - Part 2
Prepare an Onion in Chinese cooking - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...