A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Mei Tei Baby Carrier  (Read 1315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheerupem0kidx0x
« on: July 16, 2010 07:09:17 AM »

This was my first big sewing project and my first homemade mei tai. I used fabric from a harry potter pillow I had. The straps and red side are twill. Its reversible and has a sleeping hood, padded shoulder straps, extra long straps... I found some tutorials online that helped a lot and just changed a few features to fit what I wanted. I tried to do an applique on the red side but it didnt turn out too good. Its starting to peel a little now around the edges. But not bad for a first attempt and its comfy and my baby loves it Smiley
The 2nd one I made was for a family member, it turned out a lot nicer. I tipped the straps in the print fabric and added a velcro pocket to one side. Heres pics of both!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
scorpios_stinger
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010 07:19:53 AM »

what a great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hisgem
me?! sarcastic?!

hey, wait! I can make that?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010 07:37:47 AM »

those both look great. I've been looking for some kind of carrier/sling for my daughter but I'm having trouble finding one that won't absolutely kill my back, how is this style on back support? I can see it does have a wrap-around in the back which I'm sure helps. and do you know what the weight limit would be on that? sorry to ask so many questions but yours look so nice that I'm interested in trying to make one of my own. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
cheerupem0kidx0x
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010 01:37:54 PM »

Thanks! This type of carrier is really good and supportive, it distributes the weight evenly. Weight limit would probably be about 35lbs. My daughter is around 20lbs now and I can still wear her a few hours before it starts to get uncomfortable. It can be worn on the back, front, or hip. I dont mind the questions, ask away Smiley Alot of info about different carriers and stuff can be found on thebabywearer.com. They even have a DIY section on the forum. I used 2 different tutorials to make this but I changed some stuff around. I did an internal X structure with the shoulder straps. When I sewed the straps onto the middle layer, instead of stitching them a few inches in like it shows on the tutorial, I took the shoulder straps and crossed them to make an X over the whole length of that layer from one corner to the other if that makes sense. Then I stitched the X box the whole way down the straps about 1/2 in away from the edges. I stitched the waist strap on top of the 2 shoulder strap pieces and x box-ed that the whole length also. This gives it more support. You have to cut the shoulder straps longer than what the tutorial says if you do it that way, I got 3 yards of fabric and just used the whole length of that for the shoulder straps. And I custom measured the hood because I didnt like the dimensions used on the tutorial. Other than that I didnt really do anything different. Heres the links for the tutorials, there is a lot more info on the forum I was talking about too.
http://www.scanditute.blogspot.com/
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?232139-how-i-make-a-3-layer-turned-amp-topstitched-reversible-Mei-Tai-*pic-heavy*

And heres a few other links I had saved in my favorites that are related to making one:
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?177441-MT-Answers-a-compendium
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/bbo.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hisgem
me?! sarcastic?!

hey, wait! I can make that?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010 12:12:14 AM »

awesome, thanks!!! I'll check out those links when its not the middle of the night and see if I can make sense of things. some days my brain remains in the idle position Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
cheerupem0kidx0x
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010 07:46:42 PM »

i know how that is lol. good luck if you end up trying to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Beauty Travel Essentials from OscarPRGirl
How to Get Big Brows
How to Create Bold, Pink Lips
How to Apply Winged Eye Makeup
How to Contour Your Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...