A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 306,445
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Hate this Shawl  (Read 6114 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006 07:23:00 AM »

I made my mother a TINY little ascot scarf out of that metallic ladder yarn (not matrix, whatever Lion Brand's version is called) last Christmas and it KILLED me.  Then I got stupid and used the leftover to make a waist shawl/belt for myself (to wear at my recital), which took even longer.  And THEN I bought a couple balls of incredible to make a 'thank you' for a friend who accompanied at my recital, and that wasn't so bad, because it was just a simple dropstitch scarf, but it still stunk.

No more ribbon yarns for a while now.

Your shawl looks fantastic, though, and your mom will surely love it, as my mom loves hers.  She wears it over a caftan or loose top when she goes to fancy places.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
angelwings219
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011 09:37:22 PM »

i must say i absolutley love this shawl....you did an amazing job, personaly i love ribbon yarn...be proud of your shawls and smile Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherade9
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011 01:29:41 PM »

I feel your pain. Some ribbon yarns can work, if they're solid knitted tubes for example and you keep them from twisting as you knit. I can't abide any kind of fake 'fur' yarns or Snowflake fuzzy soft yarn. It's too frustrating to bother with. I even find then a pain to crochet with, though it's easier. I'm pondering if they'll be easier to weave with.. we shall see!

P.S. Your mum will love it because *you* made it. Us mums are like that. When my son brings home his artwork it's a real and genuine thrill that he made it for *me*. Even my master knitter of a mum appreciates me knitting for her, especially socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011 10:29:27 AM »

Well, you may not like it, but I'm sure your mom will LOVE it! It's beautiful and elegant looking and very impressive to someone like me who can't knit or crotchet a damn thing! Lol. Smiley

I second that!  It looks gorgeous and I have this EXACT stuff and about to make a shawl for MY mom with it too!! So as much as I'm not looking forward to fighting with this stuff, I am impressed with the final result.

I also love the bead and charm details - that's brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lynda Obst on Pre-Awareness and Sequels
Oscar Hijuelos Dead At 62
Author and Activist Cornel West on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Novelist Jonathan Franzen on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Author Junot Diaz on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...