A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 301,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fishbowl & Cat Cake  (Read 737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 15, 2010 09:03:58 PM »

My BFF's daughter is celebrating her 11th birthday tomorrow and I was asked to make the cake.

I don't have much experience in cake decorating so much of this was trial and error...
There is MUCH room for improvement, so I'll be sharing how I proceeded and the lessons learned.

The perfectionist in me is fighting the urge to NOT present this to the large group attending - but it's still very cute and time does not permit a remake (though I would gladly eat this one all to myself). It looks like I'll have to step on my ego a bit, taking comfort in knowing she'll love it!

First off, here are some pictures:

Steps & Recipes:
  • The birthday girl is allergic to lactose, so I replaced any milk in the recipes with vanilla almond milk and consequently omitted vanilla extract.
  • The cake recipe (the best & easiest chocolate cake recipe ever) can be found here. Sugar was lowered to 1 1/3 cups.
  • Baked in two round 8-inch cake pans. My oven is broken so I had to bake them one at a time in my convection toaster-oven and so, had to lower the baking temp to 325F.
  • The icing is my mom's recipe, flavoured with almond extract and coloured blue.
  • Between the two cake layers is some rosehip jam mixed in with some icing (before colouring).
  • The cat's "fur" is make with toasted coconut, to which I added some sugar & a little water, and boiled to the soft ball stage.
  • The cat's eyes, nose, mouth and whiskers (outlined with white piping gel), as well as the goldfish and the fishbowl's "rim" are made of (store-bought) marizipan, which I coloured.
  • For the watery effect, I mixed in some agar-agar with water and sugar (1tbsp agar flakes for 1 cup of liquid), boiled until fully dissolved, then spooned on when partially set (mostly filling in cavities between the cat and the fish) but covering everything; then I allowed to cool completely. I then made another, smaller, batch which was more concentrated in agar-agar (about 1 tbsp for a 1/2 cup of liquid), and brushed it over top with a pastry brush, making sure everything was covered.
  • I then made another, smaller, batch which was more concentrated in agar-agar (about 1 tbsp for a 1/2 cup of liquid), and brushed it over top with a pastry brush, making sure everything was covered.
  • The sides were made to look like waves using a fork.
  • I had intended on making the cat lick its lips, but I forgot to add the tongue prior to the agar-agar mixture. Undecided

Observations:
  • Next time, I would make the whole picture with different items/candy because the marzipan's colours had a tendency to bleed once the agar was added.
  • I would also omit the piping gel, which clouded up the "water".
  • I'll also try using an apricot glaze prior to frosting because I had a hard time to not have cake crumbs in the icing.
  • I liked the coconut, but the water & sugar made it loose much of its colour. Maybe use coloured coconut instead of toasted?

Hope my "adventure" can inspire and/or enhance your next cake decorating endeavor.
Your expertise and suggestions are more than welcome!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 10:12:36 PM by Burgz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 11:45:41 PM »

This is so cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010 03:17:33 AM »

I love the smile on the fish. Completely unaware that it's about to become a snack. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Missing Beauty Products From the U.S.
A Frizz-Free Braid That’s Perfect for Summer
Should Guys Wax Their Body Hair?
Teeth Whitening Product Made Out Of Three Items
Ms. New York Senior America LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...