A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Hour of Invention and other new steampunk pieces! (Picture-Planet-Sized)  (Read 1595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NightTerrorzChick
« on: July 15, 2010 10:28:10 AM »

It hasn't been that long since my last topic in here, but I sold both of the new pieces and some older ones at a convention (ConnectiCon) and needed new ones for my store! I really do suggest that if any of the rest of you steampunk jewelry makers see that a convention is in town, you try to get a vendor spot. It was amazing how much interest there was in the jewelry!

Anyway, I decided to branch out from just necklaces and ones on normal chains to some more interesting things. So I ended up with a necklace that was partly a string of vintage pearls (probably not real ones), a ring, a brooch, and a set of post earrings with pearls as the posts.

First, the Pearls of Time necklace:

This one was a bit of a pain. The necklace itself was originally many more strands of pearls, but had been broken since it was so very old. There was also a different extender following the pearl strings that was made of more little pearls on metal hooks, but the metal between them was very rusted. So I had to find a way to make it the right length while still keeping the lovely cap on the pearl strings and the accompanying clear crystals:

I managed to find a nice gold tone chain to use as an extender and also put on the gold tone gear toggle clasp that I have a bunch of.

The charm itself was also a huge issue to attach to the strings of pearls. I ended up having to cannibalize a different gold necklace to use to loop around the string under the pearls and also through a small loop in the pocket watch base that makes up most of the charm (the rest of it is a small watch movement, a clock gear, and two small clock hands).

The Elegance Engine ring I'm pretty proud of, because of how delicate and subtle it is and also because of how well I managed to attach all the little tiny gears.

The ring itself was a size eight that had lost all of it's central, petal shaped gems but still had some smaller, clear gems around the edges. Most of the gears were glued in over where the petal gems would have been.

It was also pretty difficult to get a good, clear picture of all of the detail since it is so small.

Chained Flight, the one brooch I've made, is my favorite because of the design itself. It started with he idea of making a sort of military-like piece with chains coming down from a key that had gears and such on it, then morphed into also having mech-looking wings, and ended up like this:

The left side has an oval watch movement with what I think is the speed control of an old pocket watch. There is even some sort of small pink looking gem still in that part.

The right side has a similar speed control, and another random pocket watch part to balance the weight of the piece.

I glued an old pin backing where the center of weight is, and now it really does look like some sort of airship military award!

And finally, the Hour of Invention Gearrings (which is what I like to call all of my earring with gears on them). These have pearl stud posts with hour hands from a clock set onto them. Then, gears and watch movement parts are glued and stuck into the clock hands to really give them character.

While they look a bit bulky, they are really not as heavy as one would think.

Thanks so much for looking! C&C welcome, and if anyone was wondering, the book I took many of those pictures on is about probability and statistics (I liked having tons of equations in the background).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrimmEverafter
Monster Maker

I live under your bed!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 01:51:25 PM »

*knocked out by overexposure to pure awesomeness*
Not exaggerating either!!  Those are very wonderful pieces you have made!!  

The attention you put into detail was fantastic, as well as being able to work with something that appears so delicate.  Makes me fall in love with steampunk aesthetics again ^^

I may not know much about steampunk, but maybe you can make belts to go with the rest of your jewelry?  I once started to doodle a belt that had gears and chains on it, so its pretty plausible to just make the clasp be the gear covered parts Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 01:53:01 PM by GrimmEverafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all have a cute, creepy, and/or downright scary monster deep inside of us.  Don't be afraid to let it out!

My deviantART: http://grimmeverafter.deviantart.com/
NightTerrorzChick
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 02:14:13 PM »

I may not know much about steampunk, but maybe you can make belts to go with the rest of your jewelry?  I once started to doodle a belt that had gears and chains on it, so its pretty plausible to just make the clasp be the gear covered parts Cheesy

Thanks so much!

Yeah, belts actually would be pretty cool, but that would probably require more soldering skills than I have. I think I've seen some of what you're talking about, often they have holsters also for rayguns and what-have-you.

I'm glad you liked my work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beki710

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010 11:54:22 AM »

I have hit the this rocks button and wisted these! They are amazing, I love the ring, can't imagine how much patience you need to have to be able to make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010 11:11:05 PM »

Haha, love the gearrings. They all turned out so well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.c om
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
katara
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010 10:59:29 PM »

Your jewelry is awesome!! I absolutely LOVE the earrings and the ring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megakukla
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010 06:34:54 AM »

im addicted! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is exposure?
What are some basic rules of shot composition?
What is the best camera for everyday shooting?
How much should I budget for a digital camera?
What is an SLR camera?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...