A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needed opinion on prices  (Read 1227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kornelia
Kanzashi artisan

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2010 09:53:54 AM »

Hello,
Some time ago I've opened an Etsy store http://www.etsy.com/shop/elblack where I sell kanzashi- ornate hairpins made out of silk. I've been lucky enough to sell some of the items, but at the end of the day it wasn't really profitable for me. I've risen the prices now, but I'm afraid that now, even if the prices reflect the time and materials, my items won't sell because of them. Huh

Those are the samples of my work and the prices:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51485721/white-chinese-bellflower-silk-kanzashi $28

http://www.etsy.com/listing/50723297/blue-sunflower-silk-kanzashi-alligator $14

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48250291/candy-kiss-banana-clip-silk-kanzashi $25

Please, tell me what do you think about it. Every constructive comment is really important for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftycakelady
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 10:25:01 AM »

Personally, I don't think your prices are bad at all.  Pricing a handmade item is very difficult and something I think most of us struggle with, at least initially.  I don't think those prices are unreasonable but there will be those that do.  The important thing is to factor in ALL of your costs and find a place where you are comfortable.  Then go about finding the folks who will appreciate your handiwork and are willing to pay for it.  Remember two things, you can't base your price simply on what others charge (who know if they are taking a loss) or on what you would pay (I can't afford my cakes  Grin Grin).  The other thing to remember (maybe that's three  Wink) is that you can't please all the people all the time!

I don't know if that is helpful or not, I hope so.  You do very nice work!  I know the process is time consuming and the price should reflect that.  Best wishes to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MVPMOM
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 10:39:24 AM »

Hi!  I have a hard time with this same sort of thing.  But I agree that your prices are very reasonable.  Especially for the beautiful items that you have posted.  If I were looking for items such as these I would totally pay for this type of quality and workmanship. And the fact that it is handcrafted makes it that more special.

Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 12:16:28 PM »

you did a great job! love them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010 01:12:47 PM »

They all seem reasonably priced to me.  You see more expensive, mass produced things in the department stores.  (Here anyways)  I would rather something a bit unique.
:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010 07:44:38 PM »

I can't see going less than $10 on anything; very pretty stuff, clearly taking time and care to put together. The only hard part about pricing is that if you want to sell something that nice for the price it's worth, you also have to put more time into marketing it. Otherwise you'll have to settle for being a great crafter for an unsatisfactory price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandarenee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010 02:48:39 PM »

Your prices seem very reasonable to me.  The thing about pricing is that sometimes if it's too cheap, people won't buy your items.  I assume it's because people equate low prices with poor quality items.  I hope your business picks up soon, they are beautiful items!  If I had long hair, I'd be ordering a few.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a knittin', sewin', crochetin' mama-to-be!

Baby #1 Due Aug 14th!  Cheesy
beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011 12:05:08 PM »

I personally think that these items are underpriced!  When I see beautiful, handcrafted items like this priced so low, I wonder if the quality isn't very good.

I took a look at your store, and I have a few suggestions.

1)  Looking at all the pictures for your items, your work is really pretty from the front, but the pictures of the back of the work are not so good.  Customers want to know that your construction is good, but from the look of the back of your work, I wouldn't be confident that I'm buying quality.  For example, this comb looks like it's glued on with super glue:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/57630466/fuchsia-peony-silk-kanzashi-on-comb .  That doesn't look professional to me.  I would suggest using a different glue or finding some way to hide the glue.  I like E-6000 for my work (though I don't know how it would work on cloth).  It takes longer to set, but it's waterproof and dries super clear.   

2) Photography:  Some of your photos are over-exposed, making it hard to tell what the true colors are.  Also, use models more!  Giving dimensions of your work isn't enough.  Customers aren't going to pull out their ruler and try to imagine it on themselves.  People need to be able to see it in use!   I loved the model shot for this item:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/50825029/white-sakura-bridal-silk-kanzashi-comb

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shiitake
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011 07:12:52 AM »

I agree with the others who have replied to this discussion.Your work is really talented and looks very professional so I think that the prices are very good,maybe even under priced. The pictures are also looking very nice and the shop is overall pretty and I'm sure you will have a lot of sales Smiley Your work is very beautiful and there is a lot of people who admire and respect it so much that they are ready to pay for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Guide: Tartan Trousers
DIY: Two-Tone Oxfords in One Step!
The Hottest Show Trends From New York Fashion Week
Fashion Week Detail Camera: Winter Wear - Fall 2014
Tips for Shopping at Forever 21
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...