A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Children's Literature Themed Nursery Help  (Read 1324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RBrandt87
« on: July 15, 2010 09:41:54 AM »

So my daughter is due is 3 weeks and we need to finish up the "nursery" which is actually just half of our bedroom. Since it is half of our bedroom we didn't want to do any really crazy colors. We picked out bedding before we had a theme in mind and then it went on clearance so we bought it. I'm hoping to find a way to incorporate a book/writing/childrens' literature theme into the room as we are naming her Harper after Harper Lee, the author of To Kill A Mockingbird.  We would like to maintain the colors in the bedding, or colors that go well with them just so the whole room doesn't get too crazy. I plan on making a mobile to hang from the ceiling above the crib but I'm still torn on what to make. On the wall above the back of the crib I am going to put a wall quote up in chocolate brown, probably a quote from Peter Pan (or Harry Potter if I can find a suitable one) and on the smaller wall above the crib I want to print out her name and frame each letter using these but I feel that it will be a little plain if that is the only thing on the wall,obviously one for each letter, to spell out her name.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated it. I feel a little overwhelmed with her arrival quickly approaching and am still working through the end of the week and in graduate school so I really haven't had a whole lot of time to put into it.

Overall room, the second shorter dresser will be used as a changing table. We have a changing pad on the way.

Close up of the bedding.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 09:50:09 AM by RBrandt87 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phoreiobothrium
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010 05:51:01 PM »

Could you use some brighter colors for the circles that spell out her name?  Maybe paint the outer frame the same raspberry red as the darker tulips from the bedding, then paint the background of the frame white and use dark green for the letters?  You could make a mobile out of bird silhouttes (mockingbirds??) in the greens, pinks, and white of the bedspread, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shannonkay
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010 05:17:49 PM »

cute idea!

I agree with making the name letters pink and green to match the bedding. As far as the quote, I think there are some great Winnie the Pooh quotes for nurseries.

here's my favorite
Some people care too much, I think it's called love.
-- Winnie the Pooh

And a few Peter Pan ones that might be good
"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

"All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust."
J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. "
J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rmpbklyn
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010 08:51:09 AM »

Use cardboard and draw some images or trace using carbon paper. Cut out the stencil. Then with pencil gently outline the stencil onto the felt.  Cutout the felt shapes, arrange and frame.  None of this requires sewing. Have family and kids- kids love crafts, to help out, 'bribe them ' with a pizza party.  Also you can use felt as frame mat or border also.

Many coloring books and story books are great ideas to photocopy from

If you have more time, use the stencils that were made and sponge to paint on the walls, such as a trimming or border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010 11:31:15 AM »

That's a really cute idea.  Oh, and congrats!  My suggestion is to search for old copies of children's picture books (those old Golden ones, ie the Pokey Puppy) and make photocopies of some of the pictures to frame and hang.  I think some editions of the Winnie the Pooh books have really adorable vintage illustrations, as do some Beatrice Potter (Peter Rabbit) books.  Oh, and you could also do fairy tale illustrations.  Look up Rackham (name of illustrator.)  You could probably find a lot of really cute pictures online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Erase Wrinkles in Seconds? My Nanoblur Product Review
Odor Solution: Fresh Wave Pearl Packs
2013 Beauty Buzz Word: CC Cream
Laser Treatment for Red Skin
Ask Marianna: Best Skin Care Routine, Favorite Foundation and More
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...