A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Most valuable baby items to sew  (Read 3397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainysunshine789
« on: July 15, 2010 09:39:05 AM »

I am planning a pregnancy soon.  I have a lot of time right now and I was thinking about starting to sew clothes and other baby stuff now.  Since I'm not pregnant yet, these items would have to work for either boy or girl.  I'm not a big stickler on boys wear blue, girls wear pink, but a boy isn't going to be wearing dresses.  I have already figured out onesies and have made some of those out of t-shirts.  What other things should I have a lot of?  I'm planning to make bedding, clothes, and everything else. 
I would love some advice from more experienced mothers about what I should make.  What did you always wish you had more of?  What did you use the most?  Any toy or other not-so-obvious things to sew?

Thanks for any advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will sew for stamps!  Or swap stamps for fabric!  Send me a message for a personal swap!

http://pinterest.com/laneyruth/

OTT Swap Secret Pal Round 2 ~ Gathering ideas, crafting, sending, or sent.  Maybe. 
Inchies Mania Swap ~ Set #1 done, Set #2 begun
Jar of Whimsies Rd 12 ~ Partners! Stalk
RedPlanet
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 08:55:01 PM »

I am currently pregnant with my first so i lack 'experience' but i hear you can never have enough receiving blankets!
I made my own bedding and for friends ive made a ton of burp cloths, taggies, etc.

(This is a great question Ill be back to see what other say!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbleandme
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010 09:40:43 PM »

it depends on the baby!

my son was a huge chucker, so lots of big burp clothes (much bigger than commerical ones) were useful.
it also depends on the season, new winter babies need little hats and blankets, jumpers and lovely warm things, while summer babes need sun hats and lighter, shade items. ooh, baby leg warmers are fabulous for winter bubs.

are you planning on using sposies or modern cloth nappies? because you could sew the MCNs. or even cute as covers for sposies.

i know it's a bit hard now, as you don't know the sex, but if i was sewing while preggers, i'd make larger sized items too. things like little overalls are great. you can always make a plainer item and add an appliqu or something later. oh, and PJs!

oh, sleeping bags! make sleeping bags, the best item (IMO lol)

there's always toys, and other decorations which are fun.

ummm, that's all i can think of for now, but have fun! that's the main thing, enjoy the spare time you have  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbleandme
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010 09:45:03 PM »

thought of something  Cheesy

are you planning on using a sling? if so, making one now could be good. probably a hug a bub or ring sling, and maybe a mei tai.
or even if you aren't, a pram skin (it's like a sleeping bag but for in the pram, and the top part zips off and you can just have an easy to wash pram liner) i know you probably haven't bought a pram yet, but it's an idea.

oh, and a nappy bag! there's a beautiful owl one on here somewhere
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elowezil
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010 02:59:14 PM »

I've just started sewing again after many years of my old sewing machine being packed away in a cupboard looking sad!  LOL  We are expecting our first grandchild in Nov. and my DIL is not a sewer, so I'm happily making lots of things for the new baby (a boy).  I've found many free pattern downloads (search here or Google free baby patterns) and have been making a lot of receiving blankets (already mentioned) and clothes (and a few cute toys and shoes which I couldn't resist!)  This free pattern site has great ideas that can be used for boys or girls http://babypatterns.atspace.com/overview.html
Have fun and show us what you make (and I hope you have a little one on the way soon!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010 01:44:14 AM »

this is my list and if I was doing the baby thing all over again I'd make the lot.  I went white cotton for the first 3 months.  It was so much easier.  everything went in wash together and could be boiled when really soiled.  Yes it happens.  the colour stuff I had were presents or clothes I bought once Ds was born.  I think you could get away with yellow and green as a same sex.  also pink and blue in the same outfit isn't a prob either.

If you make plain then when you know the sex you add the girly/boy stuff such as sew on patches/iron on transfers/lace/ribbon and so on.
Oh and make size 0-3 - most babies born these days fit into the 0-3 size brackett.  plus iff a bit too big the baby is not going to know!

the list
fleece/knitted/crochet cardigans
Curtains
quilt - technically not to be used untl over 1, but might as well have one ready as you won't have time when they are born and the 12 months go very quick
pillow case - same as above re age group.
blankets
burbing clothes - loads from muslin
very fine light weight muslin/net to hang over pram/pushchair to stop flies and keep sun out.  the broolies and lids arn't always enough.
all in ones - you can not have too many.
10 pairs easy trousers - 5 in the wash and 5 waiting for wearing - some days they'll go through 5 outfits!
10 easy on tops
dungarees - make sure you can get to the bottom easy and they are big around the bottom
baby grows at least 6 min
sheets - at least 6 min - 3fitted and 3 not.
pram sheets as they are a good light weight cover up.  I had moses basket size and they were invaluable during the hot summer.
hat
mittens
2 pair little booties - soft ones
15 nappies - oh yes I'd make and we use the washable ones.  Great when at home - not so great when out and about.
Pram/pushchair cosy - one thick and warm and a lighter one.  they must allows the staps to pass round the baby and through the crotch.  make it big, so it'll last as they stay in pushchair for quite a while and even on a summer evening a light weight one in fleece is good for a stroll, esp if can't get little one to sleep.
coat - all in one and a normal button up
Poncho - great for keeping off the chill in the car and can be used as a blanket.

Try some vintage patterns.  When they are small you can get away with some really good old fashioned stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
rainysunshine789
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 08:20:10 PM »

Thanks!  I feel like I need a translator for some of this stuff, though!  A few things (pram!?) I had to google to figure out what it was.  I'm American, so British slang is lost on me!  But thanks for all the great ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will sew for stamps!  Or swap stamps for fabric!  Send me a message for a personal swap!

OTT Swap Secret Pal Round 2 ~ Gathering ideas, crafting, sending, or sent.  Maybe. 
mamaof5
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010 05:56:36 PM »

OK, I have 5 kids (the youngest is 14mo, and oldest is 9), and these were some very helpful items to have:

- Baby bundler (like Bundle Me by JJ Cole) for the car seats (for winter).

- Baby swaddler (by Kiddopotamus - probably not spelled right).

- Cloth diapers were used for burp cloths.  They are very inexpensive and soak up fast.

- Blankets, of course just for keeping the baby warm.

- Extra covers for the Boppy 

- Not sure what they are called, but in the hospital they have towel type things that are absorbent on one side and leak proof on the other.  Nice to have for diaper changes when you don't get the new diaper on fast enough.

- Baby Bjorn

You might be able to find patterns to make some of these instead of buying.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbleandme
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010 05:56:58 AM »

Thanks!  I feel like I need a translator for some of this stuff, though!  A few things (pram!?) I had to google to figure out what it was.  I'm American, so British slang is lost on me!  But thanks for all the great ideas.

whoops, sorry! what do you call a pram?
and i'm from australia Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainysunshine789
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010 11:00:27 PM »

whoops, sorry! what do you call a pram?
and i'm from australia Tongue

Oh, Australia.  Sorry.  Wink  We call it a stroller.  English is so different in different places.  Lol.  Even across the US we have many different types of slang and some groups that don't understand each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick and Easy Summer Grilling Recipes
Ultimate Sandwich: Gobstopper Po’ Boy
Cooking With Watermelon: Delicious Recipes
How to Make Vegan-Style Mac and Cheese
A Midwestern Twist on Chicken Vesuvio
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...