A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Most valuable baby items to sew  (Read 3148 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbleandme
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010 02:38:27 AM »

oh agreed!

a stroller here is one that folds like an umbrella, a light pram.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010 06:31:30 AM »

Us and our English

Pram is like a sturdy moses basket on wheels (silver cross pram being one of the originals and best)

Pushchair is a big sturdy stroller.  Also known as a buggy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
runciblespoon
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010 01:02:42 PM »

I'd agree with the post above about making things in white. Once you have your baby everyone will want to give you pink / blue clothes (depending on baby!) so you really can get away with the basics. I made the mistake of making too many first size dresses, and my baby grew so quickly that she never even wore some of them! I still use the blankets I made for my first son (now Cool - they were fleece which I edged with Paddington bear fabric. I made a couple of bean-bag type kidney shaped cushions for breastfeeding as well, and am still using those now - the secret is not to overfill them. And if I'd known how useful, and how expensive, baby sleeping bags are, I'd have made those too.

Good luck with the sewing and the baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefancypants
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010 06:23:21 PM »

Can never have too many wash-cloths!  Or burp cloths... receiving blankets are always needed too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefancypants.co m  My apparel fabric store
elladoll
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010 07:56:18 PM »

Cardigans and those sleep sacks are probably of the two expensive in a ridiculous way items that are incredibly useful. They're also easy to make.

Diaper bag! Unless you spend some many, a lot of diaper bags bought from the store don't last. Make something nice and sturdy.

I had these lap pad things that were super handy. They were fleece with a rubbery core. Maybe do PUL sandwiched in fleece? The squares were maybe one foot by one foot. You could use them as burp clothes, use them to change diapers, use them to  mop up the inevitable milk or formula that seems to spill everywhere...lots of possibilities.

Also, you could do a whole Boppy. I've heard they're not terribly hard, and you can customize it to fit you - I'm pretty thin, and even I stretched out the Boppy I had.
(Boppies are handy, even if you're not breastfeeding. Your arms will get tired from feeding!)

A mobile might be kind of cute. Those mobiles at the store that have all the black, white, and red danglies are expensive. You could easily sew (or heck, cut out with paper if you end up strapped for time) little danglies. Some animals would be cute.

You could also do some cloth-type books. They don't really have to say anything - maybe sew in some different textures and little appliques and things. When baby gets a wee bit older and starts reaching out to touch things, s/he will like to touch and chew on the book.

Grocery cart cover - kiddos will start chewing on the grocery carts when they're old enough to sit in them. Also a pricey item!

If you plan on breastfeeding, some tops couldn't hurt. I had some cool nursing camisoles that doubled as bras that I bought from Target. With some elastic and a bit of know-how, they wouldn't be hard to make.

Here's a neat site:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Color Replacement Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Recolor with the Brush Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Red Eye Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Red Eye
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Select Color Ranges in Hue/Saturation
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...