A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fluffy rug of love! (Yay, assonance!)  (Read 1707 times)
Tags for this thread: heart , rug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chineseathena
« on: July 14, 2010 10:22:54 PM »

So The Knitting and Crochet Bible is a seriously cool book. That's where I found the pattern for a heart-shaped rug using the loop stitch. I saw it and remembered that my boyfriend had recently picked up a few skeins of yarn for me from a Salvation Army store. It was several skeins of acrylic worsted weight yarn from a brand called Sayelle in red, hot pink, pale pink, and white. It must have been really old, because the labels were kind of yellowed, although the yarn itself was still lovely.

Anyways, armed with the perfect colors and a size H hook, I made this rug with 4 skeins of red and a skein each of hot pink and pale pink. And I'm in looooooooove...

Is it not adorable? I'd actually hoped to make concentric hearts instead, but since the pattern was given in rows, I have no idea how I'd manage it!

Here's a close-up of the fluffy loopiness...

The underside looks kinda neat...I already see a loose end I forgot to weave in >.<

And a beanie baby for size reference below. It was huge! Two and a half feet wide! I forget how large the rug was supposed to be originally, because the pattern actually called for bulky yarn and an L hook. I can only imagine, because the size of this one definitely surprised me! (the colors are most accurate in this pic)

Question: so the technique for making these is really versatile, and I already have tons of other shapes I want to try. Would you guys buy fluffy, loopy rugs of love like these if you saw them on etsy?

Thanks for looking! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghanne
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 10:46:27 PM »

OMG I love this and would totally buy one for my place.  I'm hitting this rocks!  and please keep me in mind if you do decide to sell rugs Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 12:32:14 AM »

What a cute rug. I've fallen out of crocheting quite a bit, but I think I'll have to try this loop stitch. Plus, I have a friend who would just love you. She's a huge Prince of Tennis fan. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 01:51:01 AM »

It looks lovely, the texture looks like you'd just want to touch it all the time. It's very neat and professional (and loops are hard work to make), but still has that nice handmade vibe, so I don't see why people wouldn't want to buy them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010 04:02:57 AM »

i would possibly purchase one if you were to sell them, but perhaps make up step by step kits so people can make there own? coz it kinda looks like it would be alot of fun to do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
veggiechef
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010 02:41:24 PM »

Question: so the technique for making these is really versatile, and I already have tons of other shapes I want to try. Would you guys buy fluffy, loopy rugs of love like these if you saw them on etsy?

ABSO-FRIKIN-LUTELY I would totally buy one of these :-)
You did an awesome job!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010 07:14:17 PM »

I don't think the hubby would dig it but I like it Smiley I used what I think is the same technique (or one similar) to make yeti slippers for my son a while back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010 08:09:21 PM »

this rug rocks.  I want this rug.  To answer your question. yes I would likely buy one... cause I'm in the mood to be to lazy to make my own Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chineseathena
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010 09:59:56 PM »

Wow, thanks for all your comments!

Perhaps I should say as a disclaimer, I don't think I'm allowed to sell this particular heart-shaped rug, because the exact pattern came from a book (see above) Roll Eyes However, I do want to try out circles and stars and other fun things, and if those work out I would most certainly seriously consider selling them!

However, the day when I have that much free time is very far off...until then, if anyone cares to check out The Knitting and Crochet Bible for this pattern and decides to go commercial with these rugs, remember that the Craftster community has spoken, and it approves of such fluffy wonderment. Smiley

Special note @amalgam: Whoever your friend may be, she is automatically awesome. Of course, my fellow Craftsters are all also quite awesome by default.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Painter Marta Sanchez
Meet Glass Calligraphist Hayat Gul
Meet Muralist Michelle Ortiz
Making a Mural with Michelle Ortiz
Meet Young Manga Artist Lilly Cernak
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...