A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: This is Not a Sketchbook handmade journal PIC OBESE!  (Read 2320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 14, 2010 08:56:01 PM »

Note to self: Wait until paint is dry to take photos Tongue The bottom left is a very subtle yellow/green streak once dry and I managed to get the shadow of my head in the pic

I entered to contribute to the Sketchbook Project. http://arthousecoop.com/projects/sketchbookproject My sketchbook arrived and was less than satisfactory. The paper was too thin and the sketchbook was constructed rather cheap. So I pulled all sorts of bits and pieces from my art stash and put it all together. You can join in and discuss it on the Craftalong board http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=353126.0

I love it JUST as it is. I almost want to keep it the way it is. I did choose the theme "this is not a sketchbook" after all.

Some of the pages:

I kept the cover of the original notebook and made it the back cover. That way the barcode on the back is left intact and where it's supposed to be. I made one too many holes so my binding is really messy. By the time I realized my mistake I was more concerned with stability than looks. Front cover is also made in a pamphlet style.

Obligatory binding shot.

Other pages include canvas paper, gessoed drawing paper, drawing paper, watercolor paper, and a few other materials left to be revealed later Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010 11:05:32 PM by raeraethejetplane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kyrakat
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 09:11:08 PM »

I've never heard of this project, but I looked it up and it looks awesome...I might join Smiley Your book is beautiful just as it is. I love the simplicity of the cover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - http://whereartart.blogspot.com/
Personal Swaps = open
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010 09:19:31 PM »

My sketchbook arrived and was less than satisfactory. The paper was too thin and the sketchbook was constructed rather cheap.

Oh, i'm so upset!! Why would they send us cheap books?! Sad

You have done an amazing job rebinding yours. I might have to ask you for help once mine arrives for advice about rebinding... I've never had done it before.

I have a binding machine... Do you think metal spiral binding would be allowed? It wouldn't look as pretty though... hmmm.

Can't wait to see what else you do to your book! Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010 10:29:38 PM »

I've never heard of this project, but I looked it up and it looks awesome...I might join Smiley Your book is beautiful just as it is. I love the simplicity of the cover.
Thank you Smiley It's so tempting to leave it as is but I have big plans already for a few of the pages. Also, paying for getting it scanned and uploaded online would have been a waste of money.

My sketchbook arrived and was less than satisfactory. The paper was too thin and the sketchbook was constructed rather cheap.

You have done an amazing job rebinding yours. I might have to ask you for help once mine arrives for advice about rebinding... I've never had done it before.

I have a binding machine... Do you think metal spiral binding would be allowed? It wouldn't look as pretty though... hmmm.

I'm sure they were cheap to keep the project affordable. I don't know anything about the organization but it doesn't look very large.

Thanks for the compliments! I've found many helpful tools online including some great youtube videos. I'll be more than happy to send along the links to you. Just let me know what style you want to rebind your book in and I will try to help. I'm sure metal spiral binding it allowed. I would measure the size of the binder and include that in the maximum size requirements... I'm not sure how sturdy that is though. Things to consider would be: How well it will take people flipping through it? Will it get squashed in shipping? Will it do that stupid thing that school notebooks do and get snagged on something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010 10:48:44 PM »

Thank you Smiley It's so tempting to leave it as is but I have big plans already for a few of the pages. Also, paying for getting it scanned and uploaded online would have been a waste of money.

I'm sure they were cheap to keep the project affordable. I don't know anything about the organization but it doesn't look very large.

Thanks for the compliments! I've found many helpful tools online including some great youtube videos. I'll be more than happy to send along the links to you. Just let me know what style you want to rebind your book in and I will try to help. I'm sure metal spiral binding it allowed. I would measure the size of the binder and include that in the maximum size requirements... I'm not sure how sturdy that is though. Things to consider would be: How well it will take people flipping through it? Will it get squashed in shipping? Will it do that stupid thing that school notebooks do and get snagged on something?

Oh that's so true. Pages could easily get ripped out! Thanks Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010 06:22:36 AM »

Very cool - looks wonderful!

not sure what I'll do yet - would love to rebind but my binding is limited at best (only bound a few little books and that took all weekend  Undecided)

maybe I can practice on some other books while I wait on my journal.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010 08:20:16 AM »

raerae, your book looks amazing already! I can't wait to see it as it progresses.

You may want to check out our Sketchbook project craftalong: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=353126.0  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
raeraethejetplane

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010 02:37:10 PM »

Thanks for the compliments Smiley I don't know where I want to start today... I think I'll combine my studies with my art today and sketch some anatomy in there. I will update the spreads in the craftalong board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010 02:46:15 PM »

Hey, raerae, I got my book today and I definitely want to rebind it as well. Did you use the same number of pages when you changed out your paper? I'm thinking of cheating and putting less pages in.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
raeraethejetplane

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010 02:52:46 PM »

I think the original book had 40 pages... This book has around 34 plus the covers open up into a two page spread. I made the amount of pages based on the different materials I want to include. There would have been more pages but I kept in mind the time frame we have to finish the books. This is a lot of pages for me Smiley Some pages correspond with each other to make a spread so that will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Five Essentials For Fall Fashions
New York Fashion Week Detail Cam: Shoes - Spring 2014
H&M Fashion Haul
How to Get the Selena Gomez Look
Four Fun Looks for Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...