A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
827 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First try at wearables and an experiment in tea dying  (Read 1686 times)
Tags for this thread: renaissance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geek Chic

I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010 07:05:01 PM »

So the local Ren faire is this weekend and what I learned from last year is simple is more and the only heat wave of the year is the weekend of the the faire. I borrowed someone else's outfit last year and thought I would never utter the phrase: "We can't stay for the joust because it is too hot and I am going to pass out because my corset is too tight" After much researching and mashing patterns together I put together this for around $30.

The underskirt used to be a curtain "swag" I picked up from the goodwill and the corset was an upholstry remnant I got for free when I went to get my shears sharpened. The blue over skirt was $1.97/yd fabric from Wal-Mart (the grommets and the cording for the corset lacing was from there too). The shirt was also bargain Wal-Mart fabric, but they did not have the specific old color I was looking for, so I bought white and dyed it with tea when I got home:

The scottish tartan sash and pin are family crests my grandmother got for me when she visited Scotland.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embercostumer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 11:19:20 PM »

Oh, I love the simple elegance of this! I also like how the shirt and underskirt both look like one long dress. And the tartan and pin are excellent too. Smiley

A few questions--Did you use boning in the corset? and what patterns did you use, if any?

I always go so overboard with my renfest costumes and then end up regretting it when I'm all sweaty and gross and my feet hurt, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.c om
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 12:38:23 AM »

This is a good idea for a Renfest costume. In style without going over the top (and overbudget Wink) Some friends and I want to go to our local one in October dressed as fairies. I totally didn't think about the weather as a factor for our costumes (Missouri weather can be quite unpredictable), so thanks for bringing that up. I love how you mixed different elements to make a unique costume. Great work. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Geek Chic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 12:52:26 AM »

For the corset I used Simplicity #8855. The pattern calls for boning, but I decided not to put it in (I like breathing too much). I knew I went overboard last year when I attached these cool old keys that I found to my belt and I walked a few steps and realized I made waaaaayyyy too much noise Cheesy This year I am only having a belt pouch I made, my dagger, and my tankard. I plan on buying some skirt hikes this year too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ludovi
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010 10:11:58 PM »

Beautiful! I must ask though, where you found the pattern for the chemise? I've been working on an outfit not too different from this, but I have been unable to find any decent chemises. That one looks extremely comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geek Chic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010 06:28:45 AM »

It was from Simplicity 3677 http://www.simplicity.com/p-1970-costumes.aspx, female pirate costumes.  It is view B(the one without the ruffly collar I had been searching for it for a long time because I was (and still am) planning on making a pirate coat and all the patterns I found were for males or children. The only adjustment I made was I made it 5 inches longer so it would stay tucked into the skirt all day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monnie31
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010 05:42:43 PM »

Great Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010 08:03:51 PM »

Great work on making it affordable, comfortable...as in light, and authentic looking. Love the tea dyeing too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Inmates in Ohio Enroll in a Crochet Program
A Man Builds a Dollhouse for His Daughter
How to Make Subway Art
Toilet Paper Roll Artwork
How to Make a Pregnancy-Belly Cast
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...