A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First try at wearables and an experiment in tea dying  (Read 2146 times)
Tags for this thread: renaissance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Geek Chic

I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010 07:05:01 PM »

So the local Ren faire is this weekend and what I learned from last year is simple is more and the only heat wave of the year is the weekend of the the faire. I borrowed someone else's outfit last year and thought I would never utter the phrase: "We can't stay for the joust because it is too hot and I am going to pass out because my corset is too tight" After much researching and mashing patterns together I put together this for around $30.

The underskirt used to be a curtain "swag" I picked up from the goodwill and the corset was an upholstry remnant I got for free when I went to get my shears sharpened. The blue over skirt was $1.97/yd fabric from Wal-Mart (the grommets and the cording for the corset lacing was from there too). The shirt was also bargain Wal-Mart fabric, but they did not have the specific old color I was looking for, so I bought white and dyed it with tea when I got home:

The scottish tartan sash and pin are family crests my grandmother got for me when she visited Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 11:19:20 PM »

Oh, I love the simple elegance of this! I also like how the shirt and underskirt both look like one long dress. And the tartan and pin are excellent too. Smiley

A few questions--Did you use boning in the corset? and what patterns did you use, if any?

I always go so overboard with my renfest costumes and then end up regretting it when I'm all sweaty and gross and my feet hurt, lol.

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 12:38:23 AM »

This is a good idea for a Renfest costume. In style without going over the top (and overbudget Wink) Some friends and I want to go to our local one in October dressed as fairies. I totally didn't think about the weather as a factor for our costumes (Missouri weather can be quite unpredictable), so thanks for bringing that up. I love how you mixed different elements to make a unique costume. Great work. Smiley

Geek Chic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 12:52:26 AM »

For the corset I used Simplicity #8855. The pattern calls for boning, but I decided not to put it in (I like breathing too much). I knew I went overboard last year when I attached these cool old keys that I found to my belt and I walked a few steps and realized I made waaaaayyyy too much noise Cheesy This year I am only having a belt pouch I made, my dagger, and my tankard. I plan on buying some skirt hikes this year too.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010 10:11:58 PM »

Beautiful! I must ask though, where you found the pattern for the chemise? I've been working on an outfit not too different from this, but I have been unable to find any decent chemises. That one looks extremely comfy.
Geek Chic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010 06:28:45 AM »

It was from Simplicity 3677 http://www.simplicity.com/p-1970-costumes.aspx, female pirate costumes.  It is view B(the one without the ruffly collar I had been searching for it for a long time because I was (and still am) planning on making a pirate coat and all the patterns I found were for males or children. The only adjustment I made was I made it 5 inches longer so it would stay tucked into the skirt all day.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010 05:42:43 PM »

Great Job

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010 08:03:51 PM »

Great work on making it affordable, comfortable...as in light, and authentic looking. Love the tea dyeing too!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Tips for Great Gravy
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Salt and Pepper Turkey Recipe
How to Make a Homemade Pizza
How to Make a Roux
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...