A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Friendship Bracelet Project  (Read 577 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ClarinetCutie
« on: June 24, 2010 08:00:34 AM »

I don't know how many people remember making friendship bracelets out of embroidery floss when they were younger. You might have learned at summer camp, or made them with your best friends. Anyways, I really love making them and make them all the time. I also happen to be a Girl Scout planning for her Gold Award project, which is the Girl Scout equivalent of Eagle Scout. The idea is to plan and execute some sort of big service project. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could channel my friendship bracelet skills into a service project of some sort? I'm just trying to get ideas, so feel free to post anything that comes to mind. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

30 years from now, it won't matter what shoes you wore, what your hair looked like, or where you bought your jeans. What will matter is what you learned and how you have used it.
laur328
Blood, Sweat and Crafts.

Let's get high on art supplies and hibernate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010 10:02:41 AM »

first of all as a fellow scout congrats on getting so far!  i was a gs for 15 years!  its been 7-8 years sine i completed mine and im not sure or the requirements, i dont remember you need 50 hours though

anyway you could have session teaching kids in the community how to make the bracelets, them have each kid write i post card to sent to troops over seas. 

or you could have your troop make a ton and then sell them and donate the money to something, or use it for another part of your project. 

or teach a class at a nursing home after several sessions you may have enough time.  you can precut the strings and maybe pre tie some of them to get some more hours together.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rooftopstudio
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 11:24:08 AM »

anyway you could have session teaching kids in the community how to make the bracelets, them have each kid write i post card to sent to troops over seas. 

good luck!

I really like this idea .. and to take it one step farther .. how about partnering up with your local Big Brothers Big Sisters organization, have each kid make two, one to keep and one to send to a soldier overseas to say thank you and to let them know we are thinking about them.   

I'm going to suggest this to my daughter's Big Sister as an idea for a table at their annual summer picnic.

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
catdaddytn
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010 04:33:32 PM »

hi,  My ideas are similar to those already posted.  I forwarded your message to my daughter who earned her Gold Award a couple of years ago.  She is working at a GS camp this summer and this week wanted to make friendship bracelets.

I think anything where you teach your skills to younger children, esp ones that are disadvantaged would be great.  Check with your local craft store for possible material donations.  You might combine your event with a local craft show.  It might be good practice to teach the skills to girls in your troop first and then involve them in your event.

I dont' think you will be allowed to sell your bracelets and donate the $$ to a worthy cause.  Check and see, but I think that is against the rules.  Be sure to discuss your ideas with your Gold advisor and follow the guidelines, exactly.

My daughter's project involved decorating a young girls' room in a Habitat for Humanity home.  She painted, furnished the room and involved the little girl in the design.  She sent the family to a hotel, overnight.  The family was estatic!  My daughter learned so much through this project.

Way to go on your GS involvement.  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
charivari
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010 12:31:01 AM »

Hey!

I always thought a cool Gold Award project would be something like sending a blank foam-core cutout of a state/country to a girl scout troop from that place and having them build a collage on it the represents their state/country. Then after all are completed you could piece them together like a puzzle and display it during world (?) day? i don't remember what its called... anyway you could display it during a big GS event- and then send it off to the other troops for them to display too- I remember when I was a GS how exciting it was so get stuff/projects from other troops!

+ you could totally tie in the friendship bracelets here-perhaps a world wide friendship bracelet swap?

anyway- whatever you choose to do good luck! and don't get overwhelmed with the paperwork - I remember there being waaaayyy too much paper work! but I always say going through it prepared me for all of the paperwork in college! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Berry Cobbler Recipe
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Holiday Sugar Cookie Recipe
Raw Southern Style Cherry Cobbler Recipe
Filipino Cascaron Bitsu Bitsu Carioca Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...