A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How To Cut Cardboard?  (Read 1286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheTSArt
« on: July 14, 2010 11:21:54 AM »

Hello!

Could anyone here tell me the best way to cut cardboard? 

I have tried X-Acto blades, smaller crafting blades and scissors.  I always end up with crumpling, dimples, bending and so forth.  My goal is to get a straight, clean cut--leaving the perfect wavy pattern in the middle intact.  (I would like to leave the cut ends visible.)

I see things created in this style but I just haven't figured out how to replicate it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeriLynn
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 11:28:52 AM »

I did a picture frame of exposed corrugation all stacked & glued once, and I got pretty good straight cuts with a new Xacto knife and a metal ruler. Once they were stacked, some imperfections could be ignored, though. My biggest problem was doing the miter cuts- I never did get the angles perfect to fit really cleanly. Beyond that, I don't know. If it's a small piece, you might try one of those guillotine style paper cutters if you have access to a sharp one. They're pretty expensive.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheTSArt
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010 12:00:45 PM »

I did a picture frame of exposed corrugation all stacked & glued once, and I got pretty good straight cuts with a new Xacto knife and a metal ruler. Once they were stacked, some imperfections could be ignored, though. My biggest problem was doing the miter cuts- I never did get the angles perfect to fit really cleanly. Beyond that, I don't know. If it's a small piece, you might try one of those guillotine style paper cutters if you have access to a sharp one. They're pretty expensive.

Good luck!

TerriLynn, thanks for the response!  Just curious, do you remember when you did your frame, did you do your cuts in a single pass with a lot of pressure or did you do repeated, lighter cuts?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittenmittens

Mosquito Magnet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 09:29:36 PM »

I have to second TeriLynn's response about the exacto knife. Whenever I cut cardboard or book boards, I use an exacto knife with multiple cuts. Not necessarily super light cuts, but trying to slice all the way through the board in one go will either snap the very tip of your blade off or just hurt your hand. Smiley I use reasonably moderate pressure and 4-10 cuts to get all the way through, depending on the type of board. And after testing out a little strip just now, I would say a lighter hand would be preferable for keeping the middle intact (although it doesn't need to be THAT light, since cardboard is so springy...). I think the key is a sharp blade...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eerrrrrgh real life, why do you have to be so busy?! I've barely been on the forums, but I'll be back! Note here to remind myself to come back.
TeriLynn
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010 10:36:07 AM »

I second KittenMittens' response. Repeated, semi-light cuts. The metal ruler really helps-I always slice into plastic ones, and without the ruler, I am incapable of a straight line! In fact, I need a non-skid backer on the ruler or I can't even hold it still. I'm kind of uncoordinated...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010 08:14:36 PM »

What about using a box cutter (w/a new blade) ? It is bigger than an exacto, the handle is bigger also so you'd get better control. Do use a metal ruler & GO SLOW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MakingBookmarks
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010 09:48:29 AM »

I use a brand new utility razor blade... you can buy them in bulk at a hardware store. These things stay sharp a lot longer than the exacto knife. It keep it straight I use a metal ruler. Seems to work well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Jenni

I NEED HELP: I am finishing up a "How to make Bookmarks" instructional product and need help! Please go to HowToMakeBookmarks.com if you can help me out.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Chic Ways to Wear a Sweater Dress
How to Sport the Checkered Trend Like Jessica Alba and Kristen Stewart
Cate Blanchett Is a Femme Fatale in Red Sequins
The Most Comfortable Flat Boots
5 Different Ways To Wear A Denim Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...