A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,461
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made my prom dress! WOOOO!! (pic heavy)  (Read 9665 times)
Tags for this thread: prom_dress , prom , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: July 14, 2010 02:58:34 AM »

I made this for my year 13 prom.
Here is the finished product on the night, with hair and make up Smiley

(i cropped my friend out as i haven't asked her if tis ok to post her)

It was inspired by this gorgous Lanvin gown which i totally fell in love with after spending a few happy hours browsing net-a-porter's wedding boutique: http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/65377 i still think its so gorgeous. I tried to draft the pattern myself, but it was too complicated, so i searched for a commercial pattern and found V1079 (http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1079-products-9199.php?page_id=861) Which was actually a really good match. It has embellishment in the front, like the Lanvin dress, and is the same kind of shape, the main difference is the vogue pattern has a much more structured bodice, which i quite like anyway.

Finding fabric was a complete nightmare. I wanted an embellished chiffon, but I live in Wolverhampton, England, where the local market has a really bad selection, so I went to the Birmingham Rag Market but the chiffon there was really cheap looking. Eventually I found this gorgeous green/gold chiffon at Fancy Silk Stores in Birmingham. Its sooo soft to touch and so silky, i absolutely felll in love with the texture and the colour. Only 2.99 a meter. BARGAIN!! Its absolutely hellish to work with though, especially on my decrepit sewing machine. I ended up sewing the dress in the week leading up to prom, over about five days (I'd already cut out all the pieces before my exams started) and that week I got a really bad cold, so I was sneezing everywhere and was really tired and achey. By the time I got to the hem at 11 at night the day before prom I was practyically delirious with exhaustion, just sitting at my sewing machine chattering away to myself in a weird scottish accent. It was so odd. My mother was quite bemused (though  i think she was quite tired herself as she kept giggling.)

Anyway now for the dress!!

Bodice detail:

I hate doing applique, its like i get stage fright as i'm so scared of doing it wrong. So I bought one of those cheap elastic hair bands from primark that have a bit of applique on. The applique was too big to sew straight onto the dress, so I cut off the beads and sewed them onto the dress in the same kind of pattern. That was a lot eaiser as i had something to go from.

The fit of the bodice was good, though it had two layers of lining material and two layers of interfacing and then the gatherring, i thought it would be too thick. I added some extra boning in the middle, as I had some extra. Bizarrely once i'd gathered the top it didn't fit the lining at all, so we (me and my mum) had to spend quite a while pining and basting and trimming to make it look right. Silly vogue pattern.

Side:

Back:

When I got the fabric home I found that it had lodas of watermarks on. It was sooo annoying as they hadn't told me in the shop, and i had to rejig the way i cut everything out. They're practically invisible until you hold the fabric up to the light, though, so i didn't see some of them as i was cutting out the pieces and I ended up with watermarks on the dress. You could only see them if you looked closely, but it was kind of irratating for me, and i have noooo idea how to get them out!!

Sneaking into next door's garden to play in the wildflowers:

I wanted to line it in crepe back satin like the pattern suggests, but it wasn't wide enough, so i got duchess. This doesn't show the colour well - its actually a very vivid pea green.

Me and my mum! It was really a joint effort, she helped loads especially when i got ill and tired, she pressed and pinned etc

(we were exprimenting with my camera's automatic photo-taking-when-you-smile feature, so we're smiling quite widely to try and make it take the photo!)

Overall I like the pattern, but the instuctions were not easy to follow. Definitely not for a beginner. I am noo expert, but i've followed patterns before which made it easier. I don't think I'll use it again, but I am super happy with how it turned out, and I had an absolutely fabulous night with my friends Smiley

Thanks for looking!
Sarah

ps I love feedback/questions/criticism etcc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnight

I live where hens catch mice and cats lay eggs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 03:31:47 AM »

That dress is simply beautiful! Sooo lovely. It its 10 times more stunning than the original dress in my opinion.Great job! X
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight_Satyne

Waxing Lyrical and Tripping the Light Fantastic
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010 03:55:02 AM »

WOW  Shocked that dress is amazing an the fabric just adds to its beauty and i love what u did in the centre of the bust it looks amazing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010 04:06:25 AM »

Your dress is totally stunning and you look beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010 04:12:46 AM »

Absolutely stunning - an awful lot of work clearly went into this dress and it really shows, I particularly think the bust line is outstanding.  Well done you x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
TMLGirl
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010 06:01:09 AM »

ummmm this rocks.  From the pattern, to the fabric, to the execution! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tmurray
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010 06:16:34 AM »

Beautiful.. Just beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010 06:23:29 AM »

Oh, this is utterly lovely!  Agreeing with everyone else--you did a fantastic job with the bodice.  I wish I could sew so well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
amazing_784
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010 06:36:26 AM »

I love it!  That pattern might be on my list of things to make now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010 06:49:42 AM »

Very beautifully done, and a great choice of fabrics!  IMO, your dress is so much prettier than the dress on the cover of the pattern.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paola Antonelli on Forces That Shaped Humanity Most
Paola Antonelli on Features of Designs
The Advantages of Print Cartoons Over Animation
The Cultural Importance of the New Yorker Cover Illustrations
The Benefits of Comic Books to Children
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...