A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Purse Attempt (mini-tute)  (Read 793 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GlinkS1063

I can make that...

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2010 06:58:24 AM »

This is my first attempt at purse making and by the way this one went I think I will be making plenty more!

I found a remnant piece of cream fabric with cream flowers and vines already embroidered on it and thought I would try coloring the embroidery with markers (which worked out wonderfully). 

To construct the actual purse I took the lining (cut to match the remnant) and outer material and attached them right sides together on two parallel sides by sewing them on the machine.  I turned the "tube" right sides out and tucked each of the unfinished ends in so there was about 1/2inch tucked in and sewed those up as well so I had a finished rectangle of double sided fabric.

I then gathered each corner by hand using a 1 inch gather stitch 6 inches long on the "long" corners (as in long side of the rectangle) and 3 inches long on the "short" corners.  I brought the gathered corners together hot dog style and sewed the two sides of the purse.

To attach the belt I cut the belt about 6 inches past the buckle and undid the belt so I had two separate pieces and attached a strip of lining fabric to both cut ends (covering about 2 inches of belt) using hot glue and staples.  I inserted the fabric covered area of the belt down the inside of each side of the purse and sewed the fabric to attach it to the purse itself, I also sewed the remaining strip of handle fabric back up the side and tucked it neatly to cover the staples(sorry, no pics of this).  This is the finished product although I can't decide if I should attach a button to close the top or something...any suggestions would be great!

This is the medium project for my swap partner for the Newbie Swap Round 13 (if you haven't swapped yet I would really suggest trying it!) and I will be sending it out along with a couple other projects next week sometime. 

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any suggestions and comments Cheesy

~Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010 07:02:16 AM »

I love the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GlinkS1063

I can make that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010 07:08:25 AM »

Thank you, that was a very fun project all on its own, mixing markers on fabric is pretty easy and very rewarding, give it a try sometime (just make sure they are permenant)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caroline92f
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010 07:15:47 AM »

You did a really great job.  I n ever would have thought about coloring in the embroidery to make it pop.  It looks so soft and girly!  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over...SHE became a butterfly!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Duct Tape Woven Belt
How to Make a Duct Tape Travel Shower Caddy
How to Make a Duct Tape Sunglass Case
Pretty Savvy: Tie Dye
Party Favors For Kids With Heidi Klum
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...