A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recipe ideas for the following?  (Read 928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honeybone
« on: August 14, 2010 05:31:48 AM »

I bought fresh veges for the first time in ages, and now I am not sure what I want to make.

I bought:

Brocolli
Zuccini
Spinich
Mushrooms
Green capsicum
Tomatos

My flatmate and I made lasanga the other night, and that was delicious.

Help help help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strappleangst
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010 06:15:03 PM »

I don't know what else you have on hand but the broccoli made me think of this...
http://www.chow.com/recipes/28733-tofu-and-broccoli-pad-see-ew?tag=ft_box1;ft_col1
I made it a few days ago for lunch (with cooked fettuccine instead of rice noodles) and it was pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010 07:07:06 PM »

For zucchini, you can make it into salad. 

Peel zucchini. Slice thinly crosswise.  Add carrots if you like, cut the same size and shape as the zucchini.  Put vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.  Let it cool in the refrigerator before serving. 

The easiest thing to do with brocolli is to steam or blanch it in boiling water for a few minutes.  Drain.  Season with salt and pepper.  Top it with some grated cheese.  Eat.  Cheesy

You can saute the mushrooms with brocolli.  Put some oyster sauce and you're done!

Tomatoes can be eaten raw or put in sandwiches or taco salad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
rabbitheartedd
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010 04:58:12 PM »

Brocolli
Zuccini
Spinich
Mushrooms
Green capsicum
Tomatos

You could make a good ratatouille-esque dish with this-saut the broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers and toss in some olive oil, garlic, onion and maybe some fake cheese or nutritional yeast.  Voila!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My art jewelry tumblr: F Yeah Art Jewelry
My personal tumblr: Rabbit-Heartedd
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010 09:50:12 PM »

Those veggies together would make an awesome, hearty spaghetti sauce or stew! I would save the tomatoes to eat them fresh though and used canned for the sauce.

Coarsely chop up veggies. If using onions and garlic, begin by lightly browning them in a touch of oil. Add the rest of the veggies, some canned tomatoes, tomato paste (for the sauce), and season to taste. Simmer until veggies are tender! Or, even better, toss everything in a Crockpot (no need to saut the onions first) and turn it on. For protein, you can add lentils or other beans (if using dry, soak overnight before cooking), tofu, tvp, quinoa, etc. I love adding sliced up Italian veggie sausages.

You could make an awesome broccoli casserole by making a cheesy white (bechamel-style) sauce which you'll season to taste (try adding some nutmeg, yum). You'll pour the sauce over the cooked (steaming is my fav) broccoli florets and top with grated cheese that has been mixed with some bread crumbs and seasoning. Pop this baby in the oven (at 350F) for about 30 minutes depending on how hot your dish was before putting it in the oven. You'll know it's ready when you see the cheese bubble and turn golden. This dish can also be made using cauliflower instead of the broccoli or a mix of both).

Here are a couple of other recipes:

Alright, so I just wrote all this THEN realized that this was posted a while ago and you've probably eaten all the veggies already... but since I put a lot of effort into this post, I'll send it anyways, maybe it can help you (or someone else) in future culinary endeavors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010 06:25:58 PM »

Hi Burgz, do not worry.  Your effort is not in vain.  There are 282 who viewed this post.  I would love to try your broccoli casserole.  How do you make the white sauce?

Your vegetable stew also sounds good. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010 11:43:05 AM »

The white sauce I usually make in the microwave, though it can be made on the stove-top too. You mix 1 tbs margarine (or butter) white the same amount of flour and you heat until they are hot and melted. Then you add 2 cups of cold milk, season, and cook until thickened, stirring every couple minutes. The fun part is that you can put pretty much whatever you want in it - I usually add onions, herbs, and some grated cheese.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Whirlwind Flag Quilt Block
Creative Letter packaging Ideas
Wanda Wen Gift Wrapping Advice
Birthday Mini Album with Acrylic Cover
How to Warm Dry Polymer Clay
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...