A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gleek-y messenger bag (Photo-fat and mini-tute - be kind, it's a first)  (Read 2391 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glee , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 13, 2010 02:48:05 AM »

I was part of the Glee swap that's in send-outs now and wanted to share what I put together for my partner!  I was able to put this messenger bag together in about an hour (just kind of a trial and error since I've never put a bag together before)

Check it out!

It's little hard to see but the patch down at the bottom says WMHS New Directions!! Smiley

I used iron-on transfer paper and am evidently out of yellow ink because New Directions was supposed to be orange lol.

But here are all the sizes I used and my mini-tute:

I wanted a bag that could be used for many different purposes.  It is big enough to throw a laptop in but still small enough to use for just little everyday stuff (which for me I guess is my laptop Smiley )

I used a medium weight black fabric and a cutesy light skull fabric for the liner (based on my partner's Tina style)

I started by cutting a front, back, and side pieces out of both fabrics.   Then I sewed the black and skull fabric together for each piece (front, back, and side separately) using the edge of the foot for the seam distance.

On the front and back I used an embroidery hoop to mark off for rounded corners (any circle would do but that's just what I had on hand in my craft room!)

You can kinda see the rounded corners in this photo

After getting all three pieces together, I sewed them all along the edges with a seam of 5/8" and made sure to leave a little allowance to fold down the edges along the back (only like 1/2"),  which give you the main part of the bag!!  You may have to trim a little bit off the side piece after sewing it to the front and back because the rounded corners will shorten what you need but don't worry about the edge because it will be folded and sewn again for the strap.  (I thought sewing around the rounded corners would be hard but it wasn't!  The fabric was just heavy enough for the fabric to stand up a little while I sewed!)

Alright, now you'll have the main part of the bag together which you can set aside while you make the strap.  I have 3" but I used a strip that was about 5-6" that I folded over twice to meet and overlap in the middle.  It gave the strap a little more weight and security.   For the length I just threw it over my shoulder to see what would work.

I used the edge of the foot again for seam distances and sewed 7 seams along the strap to make it stronger.  Each was the length of the foot from the one before (geez I hope that makes more sense than I think).  And, hurrah, I had a strap.

Grab the main part of the bag again and fold over the open edges (along the sides and back and fold them into the bag until it meets the length at the back - the allowance left earlier)  and put the strap into place inside the bag.  I used a 5/8" seam again and sewed over the straps and all along the edge.  I then sewed a little further in (probably another 5/8") to make sure that the strap stays in place and wouldn't rip out with a little weight in the bag!  Ta-da!! The actually bag is done!

But this wasn't a plain bag swap I was in.. it was a GLEE swap Smiley  I decided to do a series of patches on the bag with the Glee club's name and some quotes.  I used iron-on transfer paper to make 5 badges - one big one and four small with quotes.

I sewed the big patch on and frayed the edges and just loved the way it looked to scratched the other patches on the bag.  (don't worry, they didn't go to waste - they ended up on a little polka-dottie box I made too)

Check out the final product!

Next time I'll remember to take pictures as I'm working on stuff Smiley

Comments/Crits welcome!  Lemme know what you think!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kyut530
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010 04:29:09 AM »

That's awesome!! It looks so nice and standard, and yet--the method of making it still confuses me---perhaps I'm thinking too hard  lol ^_^;;;;
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010 04:29:39 AM by kyut530 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter by day, crafter by night
but my shift changed... oh right...
WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010 06:57:17 AM »

OMG so cute!! Great tutorial - still something I would probably fail miserably at lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
GlinkS1063

I can make that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010 07:00:21 AM »

oh wow, this is great, i love the lining...great work for a first (i just posted a first as well)!  i'm sure your partner will be very pleased!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mari D.

i wanna make craft friends!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010 07:52:24 AM »

I loved it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mariana.

- imagine happiness as a cup of tea in the morning of a winter -

http://thedabs.blogspot.com
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010 10:18:43 AM »

I promise it was super easy to make!!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caroline92f
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010 07:17:51 AM »

I  love this bag, and the lining rocks!  Totally unique and one of a kind Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over...SHE became a butterfly!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Theodore Leaf Reveals His Elevator Makeover Hair Tricks
How to Style a Messy French Twist
5 Things to Try This March 2014
3 Easy DIY Beauty Organizer Hacks
How to Apply Blush to Any Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...