I was part of the Glee swap that's in send-outs now and wanted to share what I put together for my partner! I was able to put this messenger bag together in about an hour (just kind of a trial and error since I've never put a bag together before)
Check it out!
It's little hard to see but the patch down at the bottom says WMHS New Directions!!
I used iron-on transfer paper and am evidently out of yellow ink because New Directions was supposed to be orange lol.
But here are all the sizes I used and my mini-tute:
I wanted a bag that could be used for many different purposes. It is big enough to throw a laptop in but still small enough to use for just little everyday stuff (which for me I guess is my laptop
I used a medium weight black fabric and a cutesy light skull fabric for the liner (based on my partner's Tina style)
I started by cutting a front, back, and side pieces out of both fabrics. Then I sewed the black and skull fabric together for each piece (front, back, and side separately) using the edge of the foot for the seam distance.
On the front and back I used an embroidery hoop to mark off for rounded corners (any circle would do but that's just what I had on hand in my craft room!)
You can kinda see the rounded corners in this photo
After getting all three pieces together, I sewed them all along the edges with a seam of 5/8" and made sure to leave a little allowance to fold down the edges along the back (only like 1/2"), which give you the main part of the bag!! You may have to trim a little bit off the side piece after sewing it to the front and back because the rounded corners will shorten what you need but don't worry about the edge because it will be folded and sewn again for the strap. (I thought sewing around the rounded corners would be hard but it wasn't! The fabric was just heavy enough for the fabric to stand up a little while I sewed!)
Alright, now you'll have the main part of the bag together which you can set aside while you make the strap. I have 3" but I used a strip that was about 5-6" that I folded over twice to meet and overlap in the middle. It gave the strap a little more weight and security. For the length I just threw it over my shoulder to see what would work.
I used the edge of the foot again for seam distances and sewed 7 seams along the strap to make it stronger. Each was the length of the foot from the one before (geez I hope that makes more sense than I think). And, hurrah, I had a strap.
Grab the main part of the bag again and fold over the open edges (along the sides and back and fold them into the bag until it meets the length at the back - the allowance left earlier) and put the strap into place inside the bag. I used a 5/8" seam again and sewed over the straps and all along the edge. I then sewed a little further in (probably another 5/8") to make sure that the strap stays in place and wouldn't rip out with a little weight in the bag! Ta-da!! The actually bag is done!
But this wasn't a plain bag swap I was in.. it was a GLEE swap
I decided to do a series of patches on the bag with the Glee club's name and some quotes. I used iron-on transfer paper to make 5 badges - one big one and four small with quotes.
I sewed the big patch on and frayed the edges and just loved the way it looked to scratched the other patches on the bag. (don't worry, they didn't go to waste - they ended up on a little polka-dottie box I made too)
Check out the final product!
Next time I'll remember to take pictures as I'm working on stuff
Comments/Crits welcome! Lemme know what you think!!