A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Croissants- from a baking newb  (Read 1203 times)
Tags for this thread: bread , croissant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RemusRox
« on: July 12, 2010 05:39:52 PM »

So I decided to make a recipe from "French Women Don't Get Fat" and of course I had to pick one that took three days. These croissants came out great! At first I thought there was way too much butter, but after baking it's clear the melt-in-your-mouth quality of the dough is worth getting your hands buttery for.

As a first time pastry maker/college students I didn't use a mixer because I don't have the funds for it, but I still think these came out fine, I just had to use a little more arm muscle to mix everything.

I really want to make these again, only with chocolate. I've seen baking chocolate in the cake aisles, but I'm not sure if that would be the correct kind to buy. Could I even use Nutella, or would that burn up in the stove?

And one last photo to salivate over ...

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some_Girl
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library. ~ Frank Zappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010 05:55:29 PM »

They look super delicious! Never tried croissants myself but I just might have seeing how good these look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EkkaGrrl
I'm normal.. the rest of you are crazy!

mmm.. fabric...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010 06:31:39 PM »

These pictures just made me 5 pounds heavier. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I completed my best craft project EVA!! 10 lb 2 oz baby Violet! Born at home in my own bed!! Smiley

Wisty Goodness!
http://wists.com/EkkaGrrl
blackie.sage
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010 07:01:23 PM »

I bought the book "1001 Cupcakes, Cookies, and Other Tempting Treats" JUST for the croissant recipe... but I still haven't made it. haha. I'm the kind of person who likes fast results, so it was silly of me to think I could accomplish something like flaky pastry dough.

Anyway, when it comes to chocolate for croissants, I've never had one where the dough is chocolate, but I've had chocolate filled ones. Usually dark chocolate. If you want filled ones, then it's best not to get any "baking" chocolate/coco. They are very bitter and not yummy at all. Just break up little pieces of your favorite chocolate bar and roll it into your croissant when shaping it. I think nuttella would melt out of the croissant unless you sealed it up well. It's like peanutbutter, and when you melt peanut butter it gets really really liquidy. Chocolate doesn't do that so much in the oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Spidersweb
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010 07:47:02 PM »

At holiday time, I make a sort of croissant bread dough: a yeasted dough, but after the first rise, I roll it out and put in thin sheets of butter (freeze the butter and use a cheese slicer) and fold it over then roll it and do it again, so I get the croissant effect.

Then I put in a chocolate filling-- Bittersweet chocolate (about 60% cocoa), cinnamon sugar, and almonds, all ground up in the food processor.  Then I roll it up, slice it into about 6 tubes, and put them in mini loaf pans.  It will still do a second rise before baking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010 05:15:54 PM »

I agree with spidersweb. Try semisweet or milk chocolate chips. Baking chocolate can also come in bittersweet which would not be so tasty.

Of course, there's also the sinful Nutella.....oh my. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RemusRox
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010 08:21:58 PM »

Thanks everyone!
blackie.sage I'm glad I didn't decide to put the baking chocolate in this batch then! Bitter wouldn't have been good.
Spidersweb That sounds like a lot more delicious, and a lot less time consuming, recipe! That filling sounds DIVINE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spidersweb
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010 08:36:50 AM »

Thanks everyone!
blackie.sage I'm glad I didn't decide to put the baking chocolate in this batch then! Bitter wouldn't have been good.
Spidersweb That sounds like a lot more delicious, and a lot less time consuming, recipe! That filling sounds DIVINE.

You're welcome.  The sugar and almonds and cinnamon help compensate for the bitterness in the bittersweet chocolate.  But it still tastes grown-up.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
How to Outline Fonts in Adobe Illustrator
How to Correct Color using Photoshop Lab Space
Chang Color of Sky in Photoshop using Selective Color
How to Create a Gold Text Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...