A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster etiquette ?  (Read 4322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2010 11:19:34 AM »

Not sure if this would work or not. Maybe the brains in the mod squad could come up with a good way to throw this out there? I am not suggesting something that would turn into a bitch fest, as that is not what Craftster should be about.

Way back in the day when Craftster was smallish and felt so much different there were unspoken, unposted rules almost. I think the bigger we become the more we might be losing that supporting one another feel.

Maybe a Ms Manners of Crafster post would help that? Things like.....

Respond to the poster before you, before you throw out a totally new topic.
Example, gals posting their packages sent (because the partner who received didnt post pictures)

Folks should take a moment and say something about the package before posting about how they are doing such and such or where they are at in their crafting journey.

I have seen the same thing with folks posting questions. Posting in the thread and getting ignored by all the folks in it is just no fun. I don't think people do this to be mean, they just need a "it is nice if you...." suggestion I am thinking.

Posting pictures of a received package on a timely manner and ALSO saying thank you in the post.

Supporting folks when they put their work out there on line. It can be scary to post something that you have worked hours and days on, only to have people ignore you.

There are some really hard ones out there too that might be difficult to know how to handle. The death of a pet being talked about in a swap thread. I have seen this all over the place and most are allowed, due to the sadness of it and how a person really needs support during that time. However there have been other times that folks have swooped in a smacked the person who just lost a pet? What is the right way to handle this? I am sure there are other topics that are kind of sticky as to what is the polite way to handle it.

I am sure there are more that can be thought of, these are just a few that I have noticed. Again I don't think that people are being cruel or nasty in anyway. I think that folks just get so excited to post what they are thinking or doing that they don't think about the first poster. Thus is the Ms Manners suggestion. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010 07:52:08 AM by Tero - Reason: not knowing how to spell LOL » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010 02:21:09 AM »

That's an interesting idea. Some threads do move very quickly so some people's posts may not be responded to. Lots of times if I can't answer a question or have nothing to say I just move on to something else, I didn't think anyone would take it personally if the post after theirs doesn't comment on their post. It's probably not reasonable to expect everyone to comment on the post before theirs.

It definitely is nice though to comment on a question that you see that gets lost in the thread, or that has 0 replies.

As sad as the death of a pet is, it really isn't an appropriate swap thread discussion. If one person says they lost their pet, then everyone wants to sympathize and give condolences and the swap thread derails, I think that is when a mod may step in. Luckily we have an off-topic board that is a great place to talk with other Craftsters about that type of thing.

I think there is a thread somewhere on the "unwritten rules" of swapping, but I really like the idea of other general unwritten rules of the site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Tero

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010 07:49:23 AM »

glad you like the idea MareMare Smiley

I agree with you that it is hard to respond to everysingle post. Not sure what to say to someone preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'posting....example..')

Well, waiting to get supplies and then I will start crafting...

LOL so there for sure are some that just get moved past. My concern comes in when you see swaps and threads where there are like three or four folks talking and chatting it up with one another and they have no responses for anyone else. There are threads and swaps where craftster family members get ignored almost. And I do think it bothers more people than we all realize. I have even seen folks come in with...
"Are my post invisible?"

It is the clique feeling that I was talking about.

I can see your point also on the death of a pet. Maybe a thread that is started with a topic of "needing support" or something of that nature.
It is the inconsistency of that topic that made me mention it as needing to be addressed. I can think of four or five examples of that topic taking up several pages and going unchecked but then another example of someone posting in a swap thread that was finished and being made an example out of.
It is such a sensitive subject and one that is close to peoples hearts. It is uncomfortable to make the call either way I think. :/

Thanks for your wisdom on it all. Hope that one of our fearless leaders can come up with an idea to address some of the questions and concerns out there. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010 12:45:21 PM »

Maybe you could post something about this in the FOC OT thread? I think that board sometimes gets more traffic than this one.

I've definitely noticed some cliquish stuff, I know what you are talking about. If it gets bad on a certain thread and people are being ignore or feeling bad because of un-craftster-ish behavior, I definitely recommend putting in a report to mod. Sometimes just a mod posting in the thread or participating can help people stay on track Smiley

Regarding the inconsistency with some things being moderated, I think it has to do whether or not a mod sees it...if there is a mod already participating in a thread or swap then broken rules are more likely to be addresses quickly. Likewise if someone reports it. We definitely don't want anyone to feel like they are picked on or singled out for moderation, but a lot of times things are missed simply because it never comes to a mod's attention. Also, sometimes rule bending like a little OT is left to slide for a bit in the hopes that the thread will go back to normal quickly without mod intervention.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010 12:46:54 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010 08:55:37 AM »

I think Mare has already covered all of the answers I had.  Thanks, Mare!

This is the perfect board for this topic.  jungrrl & myself read all of the threads and suggestions here, but we might not always personally respond.  We're always lurking, though! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
Wildfyre
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010 03:58:08 PM »

As far as the cliquish thing goes, there are a couple swaps that I changed my mind about joining because all posts from me and other people who weren't in the clique were completely ignored. One swap in particular was so bad it really seemed intentional, like they didn't want any non-clique members joining the swap.

Anymore I try to keep my posts short and to the point, because it seems like the more personality I let show in my posts the more they are ignored.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Tero

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010 09:36:17 PM »

Wildfyre, you should post more and there will be folks that appreciate you. I know I LOVE your post as you teach me something almost everytime I read one. Smiley That is what I loved about Craftster the most, it was/is about teaching and encouraging one another. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011 11:19:00 AM »

I don't think that an etiquette thread would be a bad idea.

But I think that "clique-ish" behavior can be a snowballing issue, too.  If you're new, nobody knows anything about you, which makes it much harder to know what to say to you.  So then you don't want to share because you're afraid you'll be ignored, and people still don't know anything about you...

I've been a Craftster member for years, although I wasn't super-active before.  And I still don't feel like a "Crafster family member" - not because I feel that anyone has excluded me (everyone has always been great!), but because I don't feel like I know the other members as well as some know each other.  But, y'know, the ones that seem to know each other best tend to be the ones with the highest post counts - they've just interacted more.  It just is what it is.  Point being, the best way to get around feeling ignored is probably to post more and hold less back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011 03:59:19 PM »

I've also noticed some changes in Craftster behavior... I've been mostly away for a year or so, but it seems to me that there used to be a lot more posting replies to people who had none, and just general support.  One thing I've always treasured about Craftster is that everyone was always so supportive and nice, which is so different from most messages boards.  I'd hate to see us trend away from that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011 04:20:06 AM »

Yes, there are some posts that one puts in a swap thread that don't get answered. But I've never seen this as a problem of manners.
I like to chat in the swap thread, I really do, but if someone posts something that I don't have an answer for, then I don't feel pressed to say something.
I don't think it's bad manners if you have a fluent conversation going with some swap members, and with others you don't. The swap requirement is usually to check in once per week. You're not required to answer to everyone's posts. I don't even see how it would be possible to do that, given the size of most swaps.
Craftster member are very supportive, but as a whole, craftster is not a very chatty place when it comes to things that aren't crafts, and while you can make friends in a swap, it's not necessarily going to happen that you're going to be social with the whole swap. If that makes someone feel left out, it's certainly not nice, but perhaps in the next swap, things will be different already. And there's always your swap partner to chat up things with.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011 04:21:10 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011 06:09:13 AM »

I have to put my two cents in, as always!  Grin

I've been a member for about a year and a half now.  During that time, my FIL suddenly passed away, as well as have had other minor crisis' happen, as does in everyone's life. 

I have had nothing but support during that time, from condolences from people about my FIL, to people sharing their life experiences with me which showed me I was not alone, to making suggestions for things I could do in certain situations that could benefit me.

Did I have to reach out?  Yes.  I am silly and gabby and outspoken.  I post a lot on Craftster.  Sometimes people couldn't be bothered, but that is fine, it's just like in real life.  But I do have to say, that my "Craftster friends" have been there for me, and for that I am grateful.  I have also, I'd like to think, touched the lives of some of the people who have came to me with things they wanted or needed to share.

Luckily, I haven't experienced the "cliquish" behavior that other people have noticed.  But Tero, I did notice you were around a lot more when I first started on Craftster, and then I didn't "see" you around.  I'm glad you're back!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011 09:56:10 PM »

Well...since we are discussing etiquette....as some folks are aware, I have a unique artistic voice.  So, my life has been filled with folks who don't get me or what I'm trying to express.  Part of the reason I love Craftsters is I have found some peeps who appreciate my outlook on life and such.  I certainly don't expect everyone to "get" it.  But I am frustrated and confussed by people who feel the need to post that something I (or anyone one with a unique view) have made disturbers them or freaks them out.  Especially since I don't do blood guts or gore (even any leather I MIGHT use is recycled from clothing no longer usefull).  And I do not make things to get a reaction out of folks, I make things because I want to.  One discouraging comment can be hard to fight even against many more positive comments.  And I for one feel being labeled odd, weird, or strange, discouraging. If I were to go about pointing out plagiarism, or the normalness of any persons work (I try really hard to not see anyone creative process as boring)  I'm rather sure I would get a response from the mods.  And, yes, I believe people are allowed to have an opinion (which is why I don't feel comfortable deleting peoples posts).  But, for us folk who see things in the world differently then others, it's just one more comment on the pile that can lead us to thinking we don't belong.  I hate to think that some young one out there like me was discorage by...what I can only describe as "rude"...comments.  I would rather get no comments then one person's veiled, cruel opinion.   While I feel "Bambi" was a disturbing movie, I do believe Thumper had it right, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011 04:07:07 AM »

I love your unique view, suereal! When you post something I am always sure 1. it's not something I've seen before, and 2. it will make me smile.

We do try to make Craftster a supportive place, and we do try to moderate comments that are hurtful and consist of nothing but non-constructive criticism. If you (or anyone else!) ever comes across such a post, please hit "report to mods" so we are aware of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
A2JC4life
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011 06:27:37 AM »

Wow; you get comments like that?  How rude.  I have been known, on occasion, to say that "it's not really my thing," but in immediate context of "but even though it's something I wouldn't hang in my house [or wear, or whatever] I still think it's pretty awesome." I'm probably one of the most conservative (and boring! lol) people on here, but if I came across something I would describe as "disturbing," my response would be just to not comment.  Why do people feel the need to say everything that ever crosses their minds? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011 10:27:06 AM »

Thanks rackycoo.  I all ways feel like Lady GaGa said she liked my dress when you comment Grin  And I'll try and remember to do the report button if it comes up again.  That hadn't even occurred to me.

and Thanks A2JC4life.  It doesn't happen often, but I have one of those brains that makes it hard to foreget stuff like that.  I don't find "it's not my thing" type comments annoying or rude at all.  It's nice to get comments from all types of folks.  That's one of the cool things about Craftsters. All the different kinds of people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011 09:13:27 AM »

Thanks rackycoo.  I all ways feel like Lady GaGa said she liked my dress when you comment Grin  And I'll try and remember to do the report button if it comes up again.  That hadn't even occurred to me.

and Thanks A2JC4life.  It doesn't happen often, but I have one of those brains that makes it hard to foreget stuff like that.  I don't find "it's not my thing" type comments annoying or rude at all.  It's nice to get comments from all types of folks.  That's one of the cool things about Craftsters. All the different kinds of people!
Ahhh, I love your work, it is fun and different and you know how I feel about you and Cosmo~ I have seen some of the comments that have come across when you have done challenges and I want to jump through the screen and just all but smack some as I know how it makes you feel and really who here or anywhere should ever say Wow that creeps me out or disturbing that is just obnoxious IMO! You are one of the most amazing fun crafters and that is why I am just always at ahhh over you! Your one of the best recycle girls here~~ Save the earth one craft at a time Smiley I would love to tell you WHO CARES what shallow or simpletons think but I know personally how much it hurts your feelings and brings you down and makes you feel inadequate! Well sister from another mother YOU ROCK AND your craft style might be different but it in now way is less valuable then someone else here...HAHA Look at the world of real are how many REAL artist do you see that are "normal" there are really not too many and again...WHY BE NORMAL right??? You be you and hahah Create so much more then what you see on the surface you are an amazing crafter!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011 06:48:50 PM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
suereal

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011 11:07:32 AM »

That's why I love ya Babsy!  (She's my number one chearleader Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011 06:52:54 PM »

That's why I love ya Babsy!  (She's my number one chearleader Grin)
Haha I am a sore one right now Smiley and YES I am always amazed at what some can do with a gum wrapper, a pin and some yarn and some how come up with a door key made of it ( not really but you get the idea)
  Haha I found you a head a few days ago must send her to you so she can me fixed Smiley in to somethign funky and fun she SOOO needs some Suereal love and knives and sanding work  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Melby
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011 03:14:15 AM »

...Luckily we have an off-topic board that is a great place to talk with other Craftsters about that type of thing.

Okay, color me blind, but where is this board??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melby
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011 03:35:33 AM »

And also, because I feel silly posting in this thread totally off-topic myself, even though this is older, I'll throw out my 2 cents as well.

First of all, my own sightings around here have been nothing but positive. It's one of the reasons I really fell instantly in love with this place; everyone posts really nice, uplifting, helpful, supportive, etc comments on everything. I haven't seen anyone say anything rude or discouraging at all, and I think it's fabulous!

Oftentimes on larger boards, there ends up being lots of snarkiness and negative attitudes, because the internet is just so full of it. But I think, because the people who are drawn to sites like this are those who love it and understand everyone else's love & passion for it, these type of crafting sites seem to not really have that same problem. Which is awesome!! Cheesy

Anyhow-
I certainly don't expect everyone to "get" it.  But I am frustrated and confussed by people who feel the need to post that something I (or anyone one with a unique view) have made disturbers them or freaks them out.  ...  One discouraging comment can be hard to fight even against many more positive comments.

I know it can be really hard, especially when it's about something you've made with lots of love & passion with your own two hands, but try not to take those kinds of things to personally. I don't imagine most of those people are trying to be rude, and probably don't realize you are taking it as such, but are just thinking they're sharing their own opinion. Obviously, simply saying "That freaks me out!" is not very constructive, but I guess in the midst of all the various "I love that" comments people are always tossing out, they don't think that a kind of less-positive comment of opinion would be a big deal.

And I for one feel being labeled odd, weird, or strange, discouraging. ...  But, for us folk who see things in the world differently then others, it's just one more comment on the pile that can lead us to thinking we don't belong.
Personally? I label myself all those things; odd, weird, strange, crazy, geeky, nerdy, dorky, quirky, etc. I don't see them as a bad thing at all, and neither should you! No one is "normal," "normal" IS weird! Because even though the word implies it is what everyone is, everyone is actually unique; some people just hide it better/more than others. So instead of being upset by those labels, just embrace them! And/or, instead of being upset by any specific label, politely tell people you don't like labels at all, you and your art are unique, and you don't feel that labels are a positive thing, or whatnot. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011 09:08:53 AM »

...Luckily we have an off-topic board that is a great place to talk with other Craftsters about that type of thing.

Okay, color me blind, but where is this board??

The off-topics board is a perk to being a Friend of Craftster. Otherwise you can't see the board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011 03:49:43 PM »

Oh. Well that's kinda lame. I mean I actually am planning on becoming one, probably in the not so far off future, but, I don't see why everyone who participates shouldn't get to random-chat with their friends on here.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011 04:38:21 PM »

Probably because it costs money to run this site and the little they generate from the subscriptions to be an FOC....it is a "benefit" to those people who help Craftster in that way.

Or by angeling to become an FOC.

IMHO, I think Craftster offers a LOT to everyone, even if you are not an FOC.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011 07:16:59 PM »

Oh. Well that's kinda lame. I mean I actually am planning on becoming one, probably in the not so far off future, but, I don't see why everyone who participates shouldn't get to random-chat with their friends on here.  Undecided

Craftster main purpose is as a community where people can share hip, off-beat, crafty DIY projects.  While we do have the Friends of Craftster Off-Topic board as a benefit (thank you, FOCs! Kiss), we don't want it to be Craftster's prime focus.  First and foremost, it's a place to share and discuss crafts. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
Melby
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011 05:24:12 AM »

Oh I agree that it shouldn't be a prime focus or anything, just I think tons of friendships are formed here with the whole craft-bonding thing Smiley and it could be nice for people to have a place to random-chat together about other stuff too. And, I'm not saying the site doesn't offer plenty, either. I love the site, hence my relatively high post count for someone not even here 1.5mos hahaha. I just think it'd be nice not to limit that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back to School Trends: The Boho Trend
How to Choose the Right Foundation
How to Do a Kate Moss Makeup Look
Fall Skin Beauty Routine Swaps
Skull Mask Makeup Tutorial - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...