A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sustainable Gardening  (Read 12951 times)
Tags for this thread: garden , sustainable_garden_greenhouse , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2010 06:21:36 AM »

We've had our hobby farm for a few years but this is the first year we've been able to manage more than just container plants.  We put in 12 raised beds, with 4 more planned.  My husband, who is a genius, built our greenhouse.  They delivered all the pieces on a flatbed trailer with no instructions.  That was a total freakout day!  We eventually received them, all 2 pages...  Anyhoo - one year later and we've got a functioning greenhouse.  We use it as a season extender, it's too expensive to run year round.  

We're growing hopi squash I received from a friend in New Mexico.  We harvested our first one this morning, can't wait to see how it tastes roasted.  

Our back deck is full of tomato, cucumber and hot pepper plants in pots.  

We also raise shiitake mushrooms. 

We have two hives of bees to keep everything pollinated.  The honey is a very nice benefit to keeping bees for pollination!

We also have a small herd of sheep and dairy goats.  I milk twice a day and make cheese every week.  Here is Beatrice right after being shorn.

We love our little farm, thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010 07:22:50 PM by MissingWillow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010 06:33:20 AM »

Wow you are busy!!!! You have a beautiful place. I love goats Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
MissingWillow

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010 06:40:58 AM »

Thanks Tynwia.  We ARE busy, but we like it that way!  Baby goats are the cutest things ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

parallax
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010 06:55:03 AM »

That's lovely and amazing! I dream of having a similar situation some day...where-ish do you live and how much more of a growing season do you get with that green house? I live in upstate NY and our growing season is just too short for me. Well for the veggies that I love, root veggies grow for a long while here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010 07:01:03 AM »

Thanks much, Parallax. We're in SW Virginia (ex-upstate NY residents!).  You've probably got awesome soil vs. our clay, thus the raised beds.  We run the greenhouse down mid-October thru December and fire it back up early April for about 6 weeks.  We hope to add some permanent beds inside the greenhouse to try growing a few cold season crops January thru March without heating it.  Right now, we've got a few baby pools in there for lettuce and spinach over the cold months.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muddy21
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010 08:31:15 AM »

What a lovely place - looks like your hard work is really paying off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010 08:40:44 AM »

You are my hero. That is exactly where we want to be at in a couple of years. How big is your place? How difficult are is it to keep bees? What did you plant? I have a million more questions but I don't want to bombard you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010 09:00:04 AM »

Thanks Knickertwist, and feel free to PM me as we've apparently arrived at your destination!  We have 15 acres, half in pasture.  We had to re-buy bees this year because ours didn't make it over last winter.  As we understand, we're not the only ones who had losses because last winter was a very bad one.  This is the first year we've had a honey harvest.  We've got 8 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, 7 kinds of hot peppers, 2 kinds of melons, french breakfast radishes, pumpkins, zucchini, 3 kinds of cucumbers, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, garlic, sunflowers, horseradish, asparagus, ginger, leeks, carrots and herbs planted.  I sell excess produce at our farmer's market, along with shiitake mushrooms, honey, fleece and handcrafted soap.  Life is good! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010 09:04:20 AM »

i adore your goats Smiley so cute, even cuter when they get rowdy and chase eachother around!  Cheesy  i too want to be in a similar place someday. i am addicted to the book 'backyard homestead', and i eventually want to be able to live off of my own land. right now i only have a vegetable garden, but this is my first year trying, and im not even close to being able to buy land right now, haha.

anyways, everything looks great! you guys did a wonderful job on the greenhouse and everything looks tidy and organized.  i want to come over and do some cartwheels, i have hardly any space at the moment and you have so much room!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010 09:46:08 AM »

beautiful!!! you are seriously living my dream!!! too bad i seem to kill every plant i touch! your farm is fantastic, i love your animals too!! you are an inspiration Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Simple Peanut Butter Cookies
Strawberry-Banana Sherbet Recipe
How to Make Traditional Buttermilk Beignets
Caramel Filled Chocolate Easter Cupcake Recipe
Passover Macaroons Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...