A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,427
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renting is no excuse for lame decor!  (Read 18263 times)
Tags for this thread: decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticdancer
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010 10:23:09 PM »

this is great! you're right, that yellow is brilliant

i'm renting atm too; sadly, our landlord is not so gung-ho about major renovations  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue.laroo
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010 08:27:06 PM »

oh so hey....

an idea for a reincarnation of your chairs: collect colored plastic shopping bags, and then if you lay them flat, cut off the top handles, and cut horizontally into 1 inch loops, you can loop all the loops together (making plarn in case youve never before) and just re-weave them. my mum's done it with lawnchairs, and it works quite nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010 04:47:35 PM »

Gorgeous!  I LOVE that loft...what I wouldn't do for a loft to have my craft space in...my kiddos could hang out downstairs and I could spy on them in between projects.  Sigh...
And I'm usually not a big fan of blue, but you picked a great colour!  I've got paint and decorating on the brain since we're getting our house ready to sell next year AND planning to build after that.  Two houses to fix up!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
eyeluvlilG
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010 10:55:32 PM »

Awesome! It would be amazing to have landlords so easy going. But then again, we just do stuff anyways most of the time!

Did you know you can paint counter tops? I don't know if cash is an issue, or how good they would look. But my mom did it when she sold her old house because the old counter tops were really, really terrible (I don't even think they were stylish in any era), but she didn't want to spend much on something she wouldn't be living with for long. They looked much better, but almost any change was an improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been working hard to post daily and keep providing creative content on my blog:
  http://acireg.blogspot.com
Etsy:
  http://acirebaby.etsy.com
  http://acireg.etsy.com
Facebook:
  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acire-Adventures-Blog/118056124922448
Twitter:
  http://twitter.com/4Acire
onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010 09:54:39 PM »

Hm...WOW!
I love what you did! I'm with you on sponge-painting...bleck! If I hear one more time "You can make your ceiling look like a cloudy sky..." Enough said.
I absolutely love the colors you chose. I can't believe such a wonderful space could have been so poorly mistreated.
I especially love the guestroom. So great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
chenkydragon
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010 06:24:34 PM »

I love your colors & the decorating! That house are really interesting architecture...good choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SidecarStella
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010 10:13:18 AM »

What awesome and dedicated painters you and your boyfriend are!  I'm sure your landlord is going to think you are dream renters!!!  I was wondering if you could say exactly what that buttery color in the spare bedroom is, as I too, am interested in making babies with it!!  Also, how in the world do you paint horizontal stripes without wanted to kill yourself in the process?!?!  Did you use a laser level?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SharkyNell
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010 02:28:27 PM »

What awesome and dedicated painters you and your boyfriend are!  I'm sure your landlord is going to think you are dream renters!!!  I was wondering if you could say exactly what that buttery color in the spare bedroom is, as I too, am interested in making babies with it!!  Also, how in the world do you paint horizontal stripes without wanted to kill yourself in the process?!?!  Did you use a laser level?

If I remember correctly, that color is Valspar "Desert Hotsprings."  It has just the faintest tint of green to it, so it's a surprisingly neutral yellow.  It goes with quite a lot of colors.

And I very nearly did kill Boyfriend when he WOULDN'T LISTEN TO ME on how best to tape out the stripes.  Wink  We measured out the lines in several places on the wall--make SURE you measure in the VERY CORNERS, and at roughly one-foot intervals along the way.  That was what got Boyfriend into trouble; he thought three marks was sufficient, and ignored me when I asked for more marks.  So I taped it out "his way" and when he saw how damned wavy the line was, he quietly made more marks.  Wink  It truly would have been easiest to snap a chalk line, but we didn't have one available and I wasn't in a festively MavGyver mood.  Anyway, so that's how.  Measure from the ceiling (if your floor and ceiling are not exactly parallel, it'll look more level aligned with the ceiling) and tape out the lines.  Make sure you tape on the OUTSIDE of your intended stripes.  Pull the tape while the paint is still tacky; if it's allowed to dry fully it may chip or peel.  It's not hard, but it's kind of a pain in the ass.  We had planned on doing stripes in the bedroom too, but changed our minds after the dining room headache.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skamperdans
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010 12:48:40 PM »

Anyway, spare room after.  I love this color.  I want to marry it and make babies with it.  I want to bathe in it.  I want to eat, drink, and breathe this color.
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/SparkMonkey1980/spareroom2.jpg

What is the name of this colour?  It oozes with happiness!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010 08:08:00 AM by kittykill - Reason: Quoted image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SharkyNell
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010 05:36:39 PM »

What is the name of this colour?  It oozes with happiness!

Valspar Desert Hotsprings.  I will never again live in a house without it.  It is The Perfect Yellow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Red-Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe
Momofuku Culinary Lab Creates Flavor Explosion
How to Make a 90 Second Thai Chicken Pizza
Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...