A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renting is no excuse for lame decor!  (Read 14712 times)
Tags for this thread: decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SharkyNell
« on: July 09, 2010 07:54:03 PM »

Okay, I understand if your landlord won't let you paint or put up pictures or do anything fun.  But if they DO allow it, then you SHOULD!   Grin

My boyfriend and I are renting a house.  Our landlord told us we can basically go nuts, because nothing could be worse than how it was painted before (most of it was done before she bought the house, and neither she nor her previous renters ever got around to redoing it).  Well, my fella and I have pretty strong opinions about interior design, and serendipitously nearly all of our opinions are the same or at least similar enough to blend well. 

I haven't yet gotten around to sewing pillows, curtains, etc.  What you see is, for the most part, a pretty even mix of mine n' his.  We did, however, paint the house.  The entire.  House.  So here is a Before and After for your perusing pleasure.

First, the living room.  Now, I forgot to take a picture of the true Before; what is dark brown in these photos was a bright stop-sign red.  I'm not against red; as you can see, I have many red items scattered around my home.  I am not, however, such a fan of red on walls. 

And after! 

Dining room, before.  The white line was a continuation of the really pretty border from the kitchen, which you'll see in a moment.

Dining room after!

STRIPES.  Not only are they tone-on-tone, they also have a different sheen (the lighter shade is eggshell; the other is semi-gloss).  We love love love the stripes.

Kitchen before.  Pardon the mess, the stunning beauty of the wallpaper border made me lose my effing mind.  It was far too lovely to be allowed to exist for one more moment.

Kitchen after!  Yeah I'm a slob who doesn't do last night's dinner dishes.  Sue me.  The kitchen looks a hundred billion times better now.

Let's go upstairs.  Spare bedroom before.  The mural is well-drawn but quite poorly painted.  I don't know why the woman who did it would take great pains at drawing such cute characters just to give them a crap paint job.  Shame, really.  (And she also put the New England Patriots character in a prominent position.  We live in Colts country.  I do not know what she was thinking.)  I felt a little bad painting over it, but.... it's our house (for) now and there's no "Baby Noah" who shares it with us as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, spare room after.  I love this color.  I want to marry it and make babies with it.  I want to bathe in it.  I want to eat, drink, and breathe this color.

Master bedroom before.  Boyfriend called it "vomit with bruises."

Seriously.  It vomit could have bruises it would look like this paint treatment.  I mean, I hate sponge-painting anyway, but COME ON.  It's not even well-done.

Aaaand bedroom after.  Not terribly exciting, still a work in progress.

Oh, speaking of really bad sponge painting?  Check out what they did in the bathroom.  THEY ADDED WALLPAPER.  Charming.

We painted it a nice taupey gray.  Still might replace the countertop, but we've run out of steam for the time being.

And here's the space I know y'all are wanting to see.   Grin Grin Grin  Our art/crafting space!  There's an excellent loft in this house, just the perfect size for us to share.  Boyfriend paints and draws, and I knit, sew, and occasionally play with beads.  This shelving unit and desk are the only major items we've bought together.  It was nine bitches to assemble, but so worth it.  (No before pictures; there wasn't much of anything up here before we set up our space.)

My knitting chairs are on the other side of the room.  These old things are getting so brittle and ratty but I can't bring myself to get rid of them yet.  They're so cool and comfy and perfect for knitting and I love them so.

And that's our house!  It's been a fun process getting the painting done; now we can focus on each room and the finishing touches (and Boyfriend can get to work on all the paintings brewing in his head).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 08:13:24 PM »

WOW I am IN LOVE with that house! And even MORE in LOVE with the decor! You two did a fabulous job! Really really fantastic! Oh and the befores YIKES! EW I've never seen a well done sponge paint job unless it was on an HGTV faux finish show Cheesy I also detest wallpaper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 08:45:24 PM »

Oh, this is just great!! I am particularly in love with the craft space and the master bedroom blue. I love the contrasting walls! And that all of the rooms are shades of brown and blue, it ties the whole house together!

Soooo jealous that your guy crafts. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kyrakat
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 09:15:16 PM »

Basically, I wish I lived there. Now. I'm so freaking in love with what you did with it and the already existing elements of the structure (aka the little window things in your art room that can be seem from the living room). I love the color combos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - http://whereartart.blogspot.com/
Personal Swaps = open
IronyandParadox
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010 09:51:33 PM »

I'm still retching a little at the thought of the before versions of the master bedroom and bathroom.  I'm afraid of nightmares because of that sponge painting job.

But you fixed it.  =)  The good color choice and excellent paint job have joined forces to defeat the evil demons of wretched sponge painting.  It looks nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
envirocraft
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 09:52:41 PM »

I have one of those chairs too! At the moment I live at home with no where to put it, so it lives in my mom's monsterously huge bedroom.  Great for curling up in...and maybe knitting, if I were to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
fairweatherknitter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010 10:12:07 PM »

I LOVE before and after posts!  You and your mister did a fantastic job!  I love the stripes too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfaerie
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010 12:58:21 AM »

Vomit with bruises.  That says it all!  You did such a good job fixing it lol.

Love the dining room!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010 07:19:36 AM »

well done!! I'm jealous of your loft! I've always wanted a Loft, but we've never had the joy of house hunting.  We just bought what was available in our town.  But I love the paint job!  Especially the master bedroom do over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuneAriala
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010 02:11:33 PM »

We have the exact same couch as you do. Exactly the same.

Also, re: your bathroom counter-maybe look into laminate paint?  It's an inexpensive (but temporary) change.

It looks good.  I really like that mint colored paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...