A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elegant Peacock-Inspired Headband ((Pic Morbidly Obese! Semi-Tute!))  (Read 2108 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Awesome McTastical
Pretty much amazing.

Live your life so the devil cries when you get up.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2010 01:16:11 PM »

So I went and bought myself some Kato Polyclay. Would have been Sculpey but I don't like how it gets all mushy if you work it too much. So Kato, forever and always. Now, I've never successfully made anything from polymer clay. So I was scared. And after several failed attempts at a tropical bird bracelet, I just took the broken pieces, attached them to an unrelated yet fabulous flower, and that onto a dinky plastic headband, and got this:

((NOTE: Please ignore the strands of hot glue. I got too excited to deal with those buggers...))

BODY:

PROOF THAT ITS A HEADBAND:

DETAILS AND DIRECTIONS:

^ So I made this flower. First I rolled a ball, squished it flat. Then I made... hang on, let me count... 14 by three is... 42. 42 rectangular shapes that I formed into diamonds. Two broke, and two got squished, but I think it gives the piece character. I put 14 down on the squished ball, then curled the outer edges. I repeated this two more times, making the second row smaller than the bottom, and top smaller than the second. Then I put a ball into a dip in the center, then wrapped a thin strand of clay in a spiral around the ball. Then I made TONS of little balls. There are 24 in the center with the spiral, and one between each and every petal. I painted the spiral gold, then infused a both a robin's egg blue and an emerald green with silver. I painted the rest of the flower with my blue, then on every petal where it touches the next layer I painted a pinch of green. Then I used a piece of steel wool to scrape the paint and age it. Ta da!

^ Turn your head. Like, rotate it like a clock. So when you look 'down' your nose, you're looking left. Now look at the picture. I told you I made a bird, a peacock, and there's the body and wing! I cut out a basic shape for the body, then cut the wing, then embellished! I used the same petal-technique from the flower on the wing, and painted some feathers with my blue and some with my green. The body itself you can see is gold with a silver-infused purple streak and 11 golden balls detailing the streak. Again, I used steel wool to scrape some paint.

^ There is a head AND tail in there. The head is the top part that looks kind of fuzzy. The beak is the green part that disappears behind the flower and the three nearby curls are plumage. I cut several layers to give it dimension. There are seven gold balls on the purple plume. As for the tail, that's the main chunk of this part. There are seven curls of plumage built on one basic piece. The three purple plumes have a total of 12 gold balls on them, the two green pieces each have one gold 'rod' on the top of them, and the two blue plumes have 10 gold circles and two gold balls. The circles were made by rolling clay very VERY thin, and cutting them into short pieces, then attaching the ends together. It's hard, but a toothpick helps because it can press the ends together. You'll notice your finger's can't do the delicate job. And of course I scratched the paint job.

Then it was just a matter of gluing the pieces together in a way I like that fit the curve of the headband. That and convincing my older sister to let me use her expensive yet amazing camera with a boutique lens... Cheesy

SIZE

^ I'm a tall girl, so if you have a small frame it would probably be a bit bigger in your hand than mine. But still.

So yes, this is my beloved Peacock-ish headband, and I had to share. I mean, how could I even consider depriving you guys? LOL I crack myself up. Haha.

Anyways, please tell me what you think! And if you have any suggestions for what to do for my next act, let me know! Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010 01:17:45 PM by Awesome McTastical » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an artist and crafter. I will privately (and happily!) swap anything I can ship in an envelope!
HNJMOM
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 01:50:18 PM »

This is really beautiful. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robin
Wife to the best hubby ever
Mom to seven super sweeties
NightOwl21

after all this time I finally show my true form

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 04:17:24 PM »

Shocked

Amazing! that's so cool!!!! totally rocking it ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have 2 shops! Scandalous! Take a visit and enjoy Smiley

Jewelry and Wedding Accessories: http://www.somewearintyme.etsy.com

Crafts and supplies: http://www.squidooink.etsy.com

Wists: http://www.wists.com/nightowl21

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/somesquid
aisy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 04:29:30 PM »

love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shootenanny
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010 04:31:00 PM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indiana
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 05:04:11 PM »

Wow! Sooooo gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
nougatgee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010 09:47:47 PM »

oooh lovely!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010 09:36:46 AM »

Really very nice!  The onlays are complex and thoughtful, and the colors really attractive. 

The only thing I would suggest is perhaps introducing a bit more gold into the center motif piece.  You could even do that at this point with a (gold) mica or real-metal powder mixed into a clear water-based medium of some kind (like polyurethane, Future floor finish, clear acrylic fingernail polish, acrylic medium, etc), or with a gold metallic wax (Gilder's Paste, or even Rub 'N Buff).  If you don't know about doing using those materials with polymer clay and are interested, check out these pages at my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/powders_metallicwaxes.htm
http://glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

Oh, and not quite sure I understood the "rings" you mentioned joining, but if they're the bumpy gold bits on the blue area, you can just use the head of a ball-headed pin (in the size you need) to press little gold balls onto the background blue clay--press in deeply enough to create the depth of indentation you want to simulate tje ring size you want. 
Or use a small round "rod" of some kind that's been trimmed flat across the bottom, like the end of a small round dowel; or just make a rod-type impression tool from polymer clay by rolling a small round log and baking it, then cutting off the end crosswise while it's still warm with a sharp blade.

Diane B.

P.S.  If the glue gun glue doesn't hold, try a 2-part epoxy or E6000.  And if those don't hold, stick that sucker down with a polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue, etc) but you'll have to clamp it while curing and wipe away any of the yellow goo that may seep out as it swells.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010 09:46:46 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Patriotic Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
How to Put Icing on a Cake
Cupcake Masterclasses: Working with Sugarpaste
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...