A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Tetris Afghan  (Read 10537 times)
Tags for this thread: tetris , wedding , blanket , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Malica
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010 04:34:26 PM »

Edit: I'm sure by now you know, but this afghan made it onto the craftster blog! Which is where I found it. ^_^
w00t! I hadn't seen that as I often just dive into the completed projects boards. Totally made my day! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010 04:45:48 PM »

Wow, ok, after doing up a little swatch using this technique I'm even *more* impressed with this blanket than I was (I didn't think that was possible, to be honest!).

Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010 10:59:38 AM »

Thanks fantasticmio! I had a lot of fun trying to figure out a technique and general futzing around to see what would work. Now if there was a way (and their probably is - just haven't thought it through yet) to do angled post stitches so you weren't limited to just horizontal or vertical lines there's tons of things you could do with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010 11:01:33 AM »

Thanks fantasticmio! I had a lot of fun trying to figure out a technique and general futzing around to see what would work. Now if there was a way (and their probably is - just haven't thought it through yet) to do angled post stitches so you weren't limited to just horizontal or vertical lines there's tons of things you could do with that.

I thought of that, too, when I was swatching.  I wonder if the answer might lie in the techniques used in crocheted cables.  I haven't tried them out yet, though, so I'm not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010 07:30:50 AM »

I thought of that, too, when I was swatching.  I wonder if the answer might lie in the techniques used in crocheted cables.  I haven't tried them out yet, though, so I'm not sure.
Ooh - probably. I haven't had any interest in crocheted cables (having learnt knit cables first, and just generally don't like crochet trying too hard to be a craft that it is not), but now I'm interested... If you try it out, could you let me know? I don't have a particular purpose in mind but I'm sure it'll percolate in the back of the noggin and it'll come back out as a crazy project idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010 07:38:07 AM »

Ooh - probably. I haven't had any interest in crocheted cables (having learnt knit cables first, and just generally don't like crochet trying too hard to be a craft that it is not), but now I'm interested... If you try it out, could you let me know? I don't have a particular purpose in mind but I'm sure it'll percolate in the back of the noggin and it'll come back out as a crazy project idea. Smiley

I've been procrastinating on learning crocheted cables for that reason, too.  They just don't have the same sort of feel that knitted cables do.  Kind of like Tunisian entrelac... I wish we'd stop calling it that, because it's quite a nice technique on its own, but it doesn't look ANYthing like knitting entrelac does.

Another question about your blanket:  did you draw out  a pattern, or just make it up as you went?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010 10:17:37 AM »

Another question about your blanket:  did you draw out  a pattern, or just make it up as you went?
The only 'pattern' I went from was the tetris blocks drawn out on graph paper, and I knew in my head each square was 12 (or was it 14?) stitches by 8 rows. I wanted the pieces to be perfectly interlocking and knew there was no way I'd end up with that if I'd left it to chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clrowi
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010 01:00:11 PM »

I have been pondering a "Tetris" themed wedding gift for my sister, and this is such a mature twist on an old classic (and a LOT easier/cheaper than the bookcase I had settled on!!), that I think it will be perfect for her!!! Thanks so much for sharing, the grey was the perfect colour choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malica
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010 07:16:14 PM »

I can only imagine. I've had my eye on various sets of tetris-themed shelving units for a while now. I will have to break down and just make them myself some day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GathGreine
☼ Little Sunbeam ☼

.:*❄*:.☃.:*❄*:.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010 07:17:12 PM »

I also love the subtle geekyness of it ; )  I think a colorful version, but smaller would make an awesome mini-quilt/wall hanging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's neat and it's sweet.  It's a ding-dong treat.  Knittin' socks for little feet.  Just sittin' with yer knittin' all day long!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Bows
Pat Mitchell: Policy Comes from the Top
Pat Mitchell: The Audacity to Take Risk
Pat Mitchell: Everyone Needs a Rabbi
Pat Mitchell: One Woman Per Station
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...