A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
241 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Tetris Afghan  (Read 11146 times)
Tags for this thread: tetris , wedding , blanket , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Malica
« on: July 09, 2010 12:42:42 PM »

For a dear friend's wedding I wanted to make her a geeky afghan, but a little more subtle than my last one. After buying and flipping through Crochet Stitch Bible I got it in my head to stick to one or two colours and play only with texture and raised stitches, so this is what I came up with:

I had intended to make the brown boarder bigger so that the afghan would be a good size for two, but my procrastination got the better of me and as it was I had all the fans in the house trying to dry it out from blocking and weaving in the ends the morning of the wedding. Oh, well. I'm still happy with it, and hope she was too.

It's made from Lion Brand Fisherman's wool. The raised stitches are various combinations of post stitches in the right places (I think that's what you call them - where instead of going into the normal part of the stitch you go around the post either from the front or back, depending on which side I was working). I had a lot of fun coming up with this (especially since I don't do well with reading patterns still) although I think I'm going to do a few smaller projects next which don't take as much time. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwality570
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 12:46:55 PM »

Amazing.  I applaud your dilligence.  I tried to start an afghan once and gave up after a foot or so.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 01:14:33 PM »

Just amazing. I love this I love the one color look. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
wewilltaketothesea
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 01:22:12 PM »

Wow, that's amazing! That must have taken so long! I really admire your knitting skills.  Cheesy

I'm sure your friend loved this unique and beautiful present!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010 02:57:42 PM »

It's beautiful!  Geek chic!

How did you do the raised parts that run horizontal?  Front/back loop only? (ETA: or was it just a case of back-post when the RS was facing you?)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010 02:58:42 PM by fantasticmio » THIS ROCKS   Logged

clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 04:31:19 PM »

I have to comment, but I don't have the words to describe how much I love this. 

Thank you for sharing this.  It is just beautiful, I would hang it on a wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malica
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010 04:48:28 PM »

Thanks everyone!

How did you do the raised parts that run horizontal?  Front/back loop only? (ETA: or was it just a case of back-post when the RS was facing you?)

I tried doing just front/back loop which I know gives a bit of a raised line, but it's not quite definite enough so I opted for going around the post (so if I wanted a horizontal line on the front, I would work the back of each post all the way along). Vertical lines are worked on the front post (rs) and horizontal lines back post (rs). I did a number of samples of each of the 'intersections' of lines up to see which would be better - should I continue the horizontal line or the vertical line and in the end it worked out best to just do a normal DC at the intersections instead.

The horizontal lines aren't as well-defined if you're viewing them head on, but on even a bit of an angle they standout just as much as the vertical lines so I'm happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010 07:09:56 PM »

Unbelievably awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010 09:16:59 AM »

i love it. subtle geekiness (or as i like to call it, 'undercover') is my favorite thing to achieve Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010 11:02:07 AM »

The incredibility of this piece is melting my brain!

AUUUUUGH!

Edit: I'm sure by now you know, but this afghan made it onto the craftster blog! Which is where I found it. ^_^
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010 11:13:20 AM by skullseamstress - Reason: It was ALL WRONG » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malica
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010 04:34:26 PM »

Edit: I'm sure by now you know, but this afghan made it onto the craftster blog! Which is where I found it. ^_^
w00t! I hadn't seen that as I often just dive into the completed projects boards. Totally made my day! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010 04:45:48 PM »

Wow, ok, after doing up a little swatch using this technique I'm even *more* impressed with this blanket than I was (I didn't think that was possible, to be honest!).

Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010 10:59:38 AM »

Thanks fantasticmio! I had a lot of fun trying to figure out a technique and general futzing around to see what would work. Now if there was a way (and their probably is - just haven't thought it through yet) to do angled post stitches so you weren't limited to just horizontal or vertical lines there's tons of things you could do with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010 11:01:33 AM »

Thanks fantasticmio! I had a lot of fun trying to figure out a technique and general futzing around to see what would work. Now if there was a way (and their probably is - just haven't thought it through yet) to do angled post stitches so you weren't limited to just horizontal or vertical lines there's tons of things you could do with that.

I thought of that, too, when I was swatching.  I wonder if the answer might lie in the techniques used in crocheted cables.  I haven't tried them out yet, though, so I'm not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010 07:30:50 AM »

I thought of that, too, when I was swatching.  I wonder if the answer might lie in the techniques used in crocheted cables.  I haven't tried them out yet, though, so I'm not sure.
Ooh - probably. I haven't had any interest in crocheted cables (having learnt knit cables first, and just generally don't like crochet trying too hard to be a craft that it is not), but now I'm interested... If you try it out, could you let me know? I don't have a particular purpose in mind but I'm sure it'll percolate in the back of the noggin and it'll come back out as a crazy project idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010 07:38:07 AM »

Ooh - probably. I haven't had any interest in crocheted cables (having learnt knit cables first, and just generally don't like crochet trying too hard to be a craft that it is not), but now I'm interested... If you try it out, could you let me know? I don't have a particular purpose in mind but I'm sure it'll percolate in the back of the noggin and it'll come back out as a crazy project idea. Smiley

I've been procrastinating on learning crocheted cables for that reason, too.  They just don't have the same sort of feel that knitted cables do.  Kind of like Tunisian entrelac... I wish we'd stop calling it that, because it's quite a nice technique on its own, but it doesn't look ANYthing like knitting entrelac does.

Another question about your blanket:  did you draw out  a pattern, or just make it up as you went?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010 10:17:37 AM »

Another question about your blanket:  did you draw out  a pattern, or just make it up as you went?
The only 'pattern' I went from was the tetris blocks drawn out on graph paper, and I knew in my head each square was 12 (or was it 14?) stitches by 8 rows. I wanted the pieces to be perfectly interlocking and knew there was no way I'd end up with that if I'd left it to chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clrowi
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010 01:00:11 PM »

I have been pondering a "Tetris" themed wedding gift for my sister, and this is such a mature twist on an old classic (and a LOT easier/cheaper than the bookcase I had settled on!!), that I think it will be perfect for her!!! Thanks so much for sharing, the grey was the perfect colour choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malica
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010 07:16:14 PM »

I can only imagine. I've had my eye on various sets of tetris-themed shelving units for a while now. I will have to break down and just make them myself some day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GathGreine
☼ Little Sunbeam ☼

.:*❄*:.☃.:*❄*:.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010 07:17:12 PM »

I also love the subtle geekyness of it ; )  I think a colorful version, but smaller would make an awesome mini-quilt/wall hanging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's neat and it's sweet.  It's a ding-dong treat.  Knittin' socks for little feet.  Just sittin' with yer knittin' all day long!"
SciFunk
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010 09:49:16 PM »

Whoo! That is super stylish. Lucky friend you have. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malica
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010 08:30:41 PM »

Thanks everyone! I was super surprised to see I was chosen as a featured project. You'll have to forgive the 12 year old girl who lives inside my head sometimes, but SQUEEEE!!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SomethingWickedProduction
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010 10:15:06 AM »

I love this blanket. It's a total must have for the sophisticated nerd, the texture is just gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010 02:51:31 PM »

I would still think this is a great-looking afghan even if I'd never heard of Tetris. The subtle coloring and use of texture to make the tetris pieces are great and make me think of architecture and old tile mosaics--if that makes any sense.

...for the sophisticated nerd...

That should be the slogan for a whole catalogue of products. I would order that catalogue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
NotKnit

My best works.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010 06:24:07 AM »

...for the sophisticated nerd...

That should be the slogan for a whole catalogue of products. I would order that catalogue.

I would too! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010 02:00:13 AM »

very very very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anneliese25
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010 07:22:48 AM »

I once made an afghan as a wedding present, but it wasn't nearly as cool as this and she loved it. I'm sure your friend loved it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twofrogs
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010 12:08:59 PM »

Wow.  How I wish I was handy with the hook.  I couldn't crochet a granny square if you dangled me over a pool of sharks by my ankles and told me it was my only chance at being set free.  Um.  Anyway.  This is gorgeous.  I would have LOVED this as a wedding present.  And I love that it isn't all different colors - it gives the afghan a kind of sophisticated, yet slyly nerdy air.  Really beautiful, and congrats on being featured.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetDad
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010 10:59:22 AM »

This is so cool.  What a unique gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gene in SoCal
Blog Flickr Ravelry Etsy
Stein
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010 12:05:58 PM »

This is fantastic. I love it! The grey looks amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmartkitty
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010 10:53:19 AM »

You did a GREAT job!!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
One Question From The Master Interviewer: Ken Coleman
Why Books Are the Hardest Addiction to Quit
Tao Lin on the Economic Problems of Being a Writer
The Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell
JFK Authors Find Conspiracy Theories Sell Lots of Books
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...