A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - July 9, 2010  (Read 2510 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

.:dollface:.
« on: July 09, 2010 10:07:02 AM »

woot! it's friday! (even though at my work it's only my tuesday  Tongue )

I'm happy to start off this week with a few yarns all spun on my drop spindle.  At my work it's really slow for 2-3 of my shifts so I spend almost 6 hours drop spindling.  Anyways, enough blabbing.. on to the pictures!

"Anywhere but Here"
68 yards (0.5 oz)
(BFL? It was in sampler package from etsy)

"On the other side"
56 yards (0.5 oz)
(BFL? (same as above))

In progress, but same fiber sample package.  I'm excited for this one to be finished because it's the thinnest I have spun on my drop spindle.

I can't wait to see other fiber Friday entries!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
shootenanny
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 04:34:50 PM »

I love the colors of the bottom fiber! In fact, the singles I'm furiously working at plying right now so I can post in time for Fiber Friday are nearly the same colors.

And your photos make me want to pick up my drop spindle again! It's been sorely neglected since I bought my first wheel  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 05:55:00 PM »

They're all so gorgeous but I especially love the colorway of the bottom fiber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 06:33:33 PM »

Very pretty!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Azzarath
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010 08:27:38 PM »

Ack! Friday already??

Lovely colourways, and your singles look so soft! I'm really curious to see how you spin up that last colourway- it looks really thin! Are you planning to ply it or leave it as a single?

Well, i did end up attempting boucle on my dropspindle. It didn't really work. I got most the way but i know where i went wrong...i think Huh.  Couldn't get the binder to ply nicely either  Cry so it's just been left as a bumpy misc. I'll be setting the twist and such like over the next week.

1 oz merino, unknown yardage, approx 8 wpi. Detail shot gives the most accurate colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dwarf fort 'FUN'
shootenanny
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010 12:16:46 PM »

Okay. So it's not quite Friday anymore, I admit. But this is the first post I'll be making that has photos instead of links, so I feel like that should make up for the tardiness!

The yarn I spun this week was an experiment. I started out with 1 ounce of merino wool, and spun it as thinly as possible. I ended up with 450 yards.  I then navajo plied that single, and ended up with 150 yards of 3-ply lace weight. I then navajo plied THAT yarn, and ended up with 50 yards of a worsted weight 6-ply. Surprisingly, it came off the bobbin evenly plied, despite all the manipulation!

Stats are:
1 ounce merino wool, 'Brightwood' (dyed by Hanks In The Hood)
50 yards, 6-ply(ish)
12 WPI

Here's a photo of it in a skein:

A photo of some of the individual loose strands:

And finally, a photo of a small swatch I knitted on US 8 needles. I adore the fabric this yarn creates. The picture absolutely doesn't do it justice. In fact, I love it so much that I'm seriously considering spinning the other 3 ounces the same way, despite the fact that a) spinning yarn the width of a hair is nerve-wracking and b) the method I used is a serious yardage-hog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010 01:27:23 PM »

Thanks for all the comments Smiley  The fleece is from Poppy Flower Fibers on etsy, and it's uber-soft!  I plan on leaving the purple one as a single.

azzarath: I like how the boucle turned out! I can't believe you spun that on a drop spindle!  Huh

shootenanny: i love the colors, especially knit up! Also, I usually spin on a wheel as well, but I'm finding with it being slow at work, i have time and I enjoy it way more than when i spun on my drop spindle before my wheel.  i guess all the practice really does make a difference lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010 05:01:15 PM »

Lovely yarns this week! I love the blue one dollface! Azzarath, I can't believe you did that on a drop spindle! I would love to know how you did that! And shootenanny, those colours are so pretty! It really does look lovely stitched up!

I just got an order of bamboo so if all goes well with my attempt to spin it, I will actually be able to post next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
Azzarath
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010 06:18:17 PM »

Shootenanny- it's still the weekend, i reckon that counts  Wink Your brightwood looks lovely! It's really interesting to hear the yardage decreases as you went along and to see how it knits up is awesome.

As for the quasi-boucle, it just took a bit of juggling. I made the various bits first: 1 thin Z (clockwise) yarn, with plenty of twist and 1 thick yarn S (counterclockwise) with a small amount of twist. Then i plied them together in the direction the thin one was spun (Z or clockwise). This added a bit more spin to the thin single and took some out of the thick.

In plying the thin yarn was held under higher tension than the thick- I stood with a bobbin in each hand when plying and had the thin yarn vertical- the spindle hanging from it. The thick yarn was held more out on an angle and was a lot looser so it could wrap around the thin yarn easily. To help it along every so often i parked the spindle either between my knees or feet and pushed the thicker yarn down to help it coil/bump.  Kinda hard to explain  Lips sealed if i do it again i'll rope someone into taking a pic. Hope this helps Slingmomma!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dwarf fort 'FUN'
HunterJumper33
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010 10:21:13 PM »

YAY for Friday!!!!! BOO for pictures being taken at midnight so no natural light oh well...

Corriedale mix - I'm spinning and knitting this yarn at the same time so I spin some and then knit it the same day.

Everyone has shared lovely yarns as always.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop Rosemary Lane Design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RosemaryLaneDesign
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Meet Burning Man Sculpture Artist Marco Cochrane
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Creating the Vica Illusion Sculpture on the Makerbot
MakerBot Made Skull from Dissolving PVA Time Lapse
Unusual Sculptures by Suprina
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...