A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for Spinning Bamboo  (Read 4210 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 09, 2010 09:46:14 AM »

My lovely orders of bamboo samples have finally arrived: Cheesy

Bamboo Silk roving top luxury 1 ounce From handspunbyme on Etsy

Bamboo Combed TOP ROVING sample 0.4 ounces from FiberLady on Etsy (I think its a little more like .5 ounce because it doesn't feel much smaller than the white!) The colour is "Ocean Dusk"

First off I only bought these lovelies because they were like $1.50 ish each! So I couldn't help myself, and if I totally mess up its only a little bit right! Tongue

So my questions is, how do you (drop spindle spinners) spin your bamboo? I tried a Google search and a search on here and didn't get the same info I did when just searching spinning wool.Most of the info I found was about spinning on a wheel. I did find out that it is harder to spin because it is slippery!

What would your tips be for a first time bamboo spinner?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
LeapFeetFirst
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 10:38:27 AM »

I usually spin from the fold when I spin bamboo. It is so slippery it is really hard to predraft. Basically you just pull a chunk from the end of the roving and drape it over your index figer on one hand and spin from triangle of fiber in front of your finger. (there are lots of videos and tutorials for how to spin from the fold on the interwebs) It might be more difficult to do this with a drop spindle depending on how you normally hold your fiber and draft, but I think with enough practice you can get the moves down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 12:22:09 PM »

My advice: Go to town! lol I always see people saying, "Don't start off with bamboo, it's too hard." I disagree. I find it fun and when I started spinning I got some bamboo right away. I also love chunky funky yarn so just sort of figuring it out on my own has produced some really cool yarns I've already used in projects. If it slips, just pick it back up and start again. Overlap it on to what you've already spun and just keep going.  Grin

I bought mine from the fiber lady too. I got to meet her at the DFW Fiber Festival. They had a fun booth and her husband was cool along with all her helpers. I have a pink/teal bunch of 4oz bamboo roving from her. I'm saving it for a rainy day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 01:18:18 PM »

I usually spin from the fold when I spin bamboo. It is so slippery it is really hard to predraft. Basically you just pull a chunk from the end of the roving and drape it over your index figer on one hand and spin from triangle of fiber in front of your finger. (there are lots of videos and tutorials for how to spin from the fold on the interwebs) It might be more difficult to do this with a drop spindle depending on how you normally hold your fiber and draft, but I think with enough practice you can get the moves down.

Thanks for that tip! I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFK6NGwHGgw and about half way through it she shows how to do it with a drop spindle! It was the only one I could find that wasn't on a wheel and it definitely looks like something I could do! Cheesy

My advice: Go to town! lol I always see people saying, "Don't start off with bamboo, it's too hard." I disagree. I find it fun and when I started spinning I got some bamboo right away. I also love chunky funky yarn so just sort of figuring it out on my own has produced some really cool yarns I've already used in projects. If it slips, just pick it back up and start again. Overlap it on to what you've already spun and just keep going.  Grin

I bought mine from the fiber lady too. I got to meet her at the DFW Fiber Festival. They had a fun booth and her husband was cool along with all her helpers. I have a pink/teal bunch of 4oz bamboo roving from her. I'm saving it for a rainy day.

This will be my first time not spinning wool and I thought if I don't try it now I never will Grin Fiberlady was super fast with her shipping! I will definitely order from her again for sure! Maybe next time it will be more than just a sample Tongue Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010 07:21:42 AM »

I spun some of it up last night! It really is slippery stuff! I can't even count the amount of times I dropped my spindle! I do like though how thin it is coming out and how much yarn I am getting out of 1 ounce of fiber! Once I get it all spun up I'll post some pictures!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010 10:01:07 AM »

That really is the coolest part about bamboo, it seems to stretch forever and when you blend it with other fibers it takes very little to make a huge difference.

I bought like 5 bundles of fiber from her, including a gray alpaca/bamboo mix. That was one of my favorite batches of fiber to spin. It came out AMAZINGLY thin yarn. I just used it for a hat. I'll have to find the link.

Her shipping deals are awesome, also it works out to buy more from her. I think things get discounted. My husband actually talked to her on the phone to get the best deal. He ordered me 32 ounces and it was like $18. That is a deal! I highly recommend her to everyone as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Torn Book Trailer
Mann and Ornstein on the Hazards of Partisanship
Howard Jacobson on the Importance of Comedy, Filth and Sex
Rodes Fishburne on His Book Going to See the Elephant
Janet Malcolm on Lost Souls and Delusional People
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...