A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yellow and Gray Nursery (Warning: massive amts of pics!)  (Read 6339 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 09, 2010 08:06:39 AM »

I'm finally mostly done with my daughter's nursery in our new house. I wanted to do a color scheme of yellow and gray. I ended up throwing in a little pink and green here and there for contrast.

I painted the walls gray (Castle from Kilz) with a stripe of yellow (Banana (i think) from Valspar) and stenciled a design on the stripe in more gray.

Closeup of the wall stencil:

Here's the view from the door:

The rocker in the corner I reupholstered. It was ice blue velvet before.

Here's the back:

I still need to find some trim for around the edges, but haven't found anything matching yet.

Owl night light: (The moon lights up)

I repainted the outside black. (It was faux wood (brown) before).

Here's the corner with the crib (I apologize for the weird coloring in this pic):

I made the quilt and crib sheet from new fabric, the skirt was made with an up-cycled yellow eyelet lace curtain. I did not make the bumper.

Banner above the crib w/ Maddy's name made out of scrapbook paper and grosgrain ribbon:

Art in corner made from old window frame and vinyl cut on cricut:

Changing table area:

The dresser was one my mom refinished for me. Birds are more vinyl cut on cricut. Ugly bookcase for storage is covered with a thrift store scarf.

Lamp I redid (spray painted to match rocker, recovered lamp shade):

Art above changing table (Still a work in progress)

Knobs are drawer pulls from $1 bin at Michaels screwed into the wall (w/ wall anchors). Frame is from Creative Memories. I plan on putting pics and mementos in the frame (haven't had time yet) and hanging some other kind of art on other two knobs.

I would love to hear some feedback on this. I think it's the most cohesive decorating I've ever done!

More details about individual projects are on my blog here if interested.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010 08:54:18 AM by ehinders » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 12:54:37 PM »

I love it! I would've never thought of gray and yellow, especially for a nursery, it looks very elegant. Definitely a room your little girl can grow up with. Where'd you get the owl nightlight?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ehinders

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 03:01:12 PM »

My mom found it at an auction in a box of junk. All it needed was some black spray paint on the outside and it matched the room perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toney
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010 11:47:09 AM »

I love it, the grey by itself would maybe have made the room a bit too dreary but by adding the strip of yellow you negate that perfectly.

With the strip you have added colour without making the room too bright, also gives the feeling of being very cool (as in temperature) aswell  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ehinders

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010 01:46:13 PM »

Thanks Toney! I was originally going to paint the walls yellow and do gray accents, but I'm glad I changed my mind. Now I really need to find or make matching rugs and the room will be much warmer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010 11:38:28 PM »

yellow and gray look so great together! i have been thinking of using it as a color scheme for my living room and your nursery really inspired me. that little dresser is absolutely adorable. love it <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010 02:48:51 AM »

Oh my goodness! Its lovely! I just mentioned on another member's post how I love baby rooms that are not smothered in pastel everything  Grin LOL And I love how well your stencil on the wall matches your fabric for the rocker!

BTW: super envious of you for having a cricuit  Tongue

Only suggestion I would make (tiny one, not really even a biggie)... I would paint the power cord the the night light (which I am in love with btw) to help keep it from standing out against the wall. Just a thought, I'm kinda crazy about cords being on my wall and clashing LOL  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
ehinders

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010 07:51:48 AM »

BTW: super envious of you for having a cricuit  Tongue

Only suggestion I would make (tiny one, not really even a biggie)... I would paint the power cord the the night light (which I am in love with btw) to help keep it from standing out against the wall. Just a thought, I'm kinda crazy about cords being on my wall and clashing LOL  Roll Eyes

Sadly, the cricuit is my mom's. But once in awhile she brings it to visit! Smiley

That's a great idea to paint the cord! I was trying to think of how to hide it. On all those tv decorating shows they always put a big piece of trim over it, which I think makes it look just as obvious if you leave the cord the way it is in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leigh7911
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010 08:56:33 PM »

I love yellow, and non-pastel nurserys. Ergo, looking at this room makes me very happy. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulieOZ
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010 03:02:58 PM »

beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maya Kaimal Talks About Her Cooking Experience
How Turmeric Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Garam Masala Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Fenugreek Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Cardamom Is Used in Indian Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...