A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheting with unconventional materials  (Read 2340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jazzhands
« on: July 08, 2010 06:45:11 PM »

Hi! I have two questions that I thought might make for interesting discussion:

1. I want to crochet a translucent ball for an amigurumi project, and I'm having trouble figuring out a good material to use. I tried fishing line and it was way too difficult to work with. I also tried cutting a clear plastic produce bags into strips -- it was much easier to work with, but it loses its transparency when squished up and stitched. Has anyone here ever crocheted with clear elastic-y jewelry/beading cord? Or something like this?

I would consider something that gives a feeling of translucency, like a very sheer, shiny ribbon if you think that might work well. I'm also open to any other suggestions anyone has!

2. What's the weirdest, non-yarn material you've ever crocheted with? I've heard of "plarn" made from plastic grocery bags, or making jewelry by crocheting wire... but I'm curious to know about what other unconventional things are crochetable.  Grin

As I mentioned, I've tried fishing line and plastic bag strips... Also: wire, pipe cleaners, Xmas garlands, various kinds of cording and string, fabric strips, plant stems... Sometimes I'm trying to get a particular effect, and sometimes I just want to see if it can be done.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirsa
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010 07:40:55 PM »

I don't have any ideas for how to make a translucent ball other than fishing line.  If you figure something out, please share, I've been wishing I could crochet something at least semi-transparent for ages.

I have yet to crochet with anything other than yarn.  There's lots of things I've contemplated, but I don't have a lot of patience for joining small pieces together and weaving in ends, so I haven't tried anything unusual yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowyinn
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010 11:12:14 PM »

Try this: http://www.jellyyarns.com/yarns.html

It may be a wee bit pricey, but it's jelly yarn! You can get it in all the colors of the rainbow, and translucent as well, just like you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 12:31:31 AM »

Did you try experimenting with different weights of fishing line? Some types/weights work better than others for crafts.
Ive worked with tanned hide and string liqourice (not together!). I love trying different things to see the result.

I would love to see the end result of your project- I hope you post when you figure it out  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jazzhands
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010 02:12:25 AM »

I think I will try another kind of fishing line -- I know nothing about fishing, and may have inadvertently picked an especially stiff kind.  Tongue

If that doesn't work, and I can't come up with anything else that is relatively inexpensive, I think I'll just go for the jelly yarn because it looks perfect! Thanks for the link, Meowyinn.  Wink

And if/when I figure this out, I will definitely share the result.

You say you've crocheted with licorice, Kiewiet? That's definitely something I've never heard of before!  Cheesy Now I'm really curious: what did you make with it, if you don't mind my asking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scribble
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 04:17:59 AM »

What about clingfilm yarn? We have clingfilm in the UK, but perhaps you call it sandwich wrap? The clear sheeting that stick to itself and you use to cover food. It would certainly be a challenge!

I love experimenting with yarn. I made a newspaper tree (hidden in the challenge archies Wink, and I've just finished a bag made of t-shirts. I've used the multi-coloured wires taken from the inside of electric cables (not live ones!), normal jewellery wire, and I'm going to try jeans or jute twine next. I like a challenge, so if I can get it over my hook, I'll try it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jazzhands
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010 04:53:45 PM »

Clingfilm -- That sounds like what we know as plastic wrap (or saran wrap, a brand name) here in the US. It was actually one of the first materials I considered, but I turned to the clear plastic bag instead because I thought it would be easier to cut and work with -- you know, because it doesn't stick to itself. Wink I'm wondering if it would have the same problem as the bag, with losing transparency when it bunches up as it's stitched... I might just have to give in to my curiosity and try it anyway.

I'm going to have to look up your newspaper tree, Scribble.. I can imagine that crocheting with paper was a challenge, but I really like the idea of sort-of recycling the newspaper back to where it came from -- at least in spirit.  Smiley

Using the little colored wires is a very cool idea too! I might have to try that sometime. I'm really enjoying this thread so far (no pun intended  Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010 08:55:56 PM »

I made a sweets- bowl from the liqourice! Cheesy I was very  bored and made it to pass the time then filled it with smarties! It didn't last long though Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingerhooks
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010 02:07:27 AM »

For the first question I can not think of anything.

But for the second question, I haven't done this but I have seen people crochet the "ribbon" that is in a old cassette tape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy:http://www.etsy.com/shop/gingerhooks
Eco-friendly items,messenger bags, hats, scarfs and more.
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010 04:23:43 PM »

I've crocheted with plastic lanyard lacing, which is fairly cheap and comes in a large variety of colors, and it will maintain its transparency but it's really difficult to work with if you're not using a large hook. (The smallest hook I used was an I/5.5mm.) If you don't mind using a bigger hook though then it works fine.

I've crocheted with plarn, wire, t-shirt yarn (an old t-shirt cut into strips), sewing thread, ribbon (both the kind made from fabric and the kind made for wrapping gifts), embroidery floss, and elastic. Though for the most part I like to stick to plain old yarn, it's so much easier to work with. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How Glass Is Shaped
Quilting: Making Easy Blocks
Quilting: Pillowcases You Can Make
How to Make a Squared Cup
Glass Blowing: How to Marver
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...