A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Play Box  (Read 778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catyfaver

Dealing with being a tracer.

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010 05:30:29 PM »

Last month I went with my family to Disney World and was inspired by this (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=345383.0) to make a play set for my niece to take with us. Sorry about the lack of good pictures. I used my iPhone to take a couple while I was making it and was going to take some better ones later but couldn't get to it before the pieces were scattered all over my sister's car.

I found the lunchbox at Hobby Lobby. One side was raised (embossed?) with the princess image so I painted over the flat side after roughing it up with sand paper. I also added a pink border when I noticed the edges were a little messy. I had debated on whether to attempt to paint a castle when I remembered the finished chipboard pieces they sell at craft stores so I just went all Bob Ross on the shading and blending so my rolling hills didn't come out looking like a weird alien boob job (as they appear here).

I know this is the suckiest picture ever but you get the idea. I just glued magnets on the back of the pieces and they were ready to play. Well, after I sealed the little background with a bajillion coats of mod podge. I found some little princess figurines at the dollar store that looked like they belonged on the cakes at Piggly Wiggly since I'm not ready to make the leap into doll making yet.
I don't have a picture of my favorite part of the box which was a little tower I made. I got the kit for $1 at Micheal's but swapped out the blue and red paint they included for a nice stone gray and a fake walnut finish for the door then added a pink flag to the top. Besides the dolls and magnets I also put in some little crafts she could do on the way up there and a copy of the Swan Princess that I found in a $5 bin somewhere. Honestly it didn't take long for all of the little pieces to get lost in the abyss my sister drives, but we had fun with it and I had fun making it. That's all that counts right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, she wants to know, are women so susceptible to the fantasies of romance they encounter in novels? Maybe it is because the world outside of novels holds so little for a capable intelligent woman.
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010 08:29:09 PM »

Cute! I definitely get the gist, even if the pictures aren't the greatest Smiley Put some more up if you get them! The only critique I can offer is that Swan Princess isn't by Disney, but hey, who cares?  Wink

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
zilamonster

Who's awesome? ...you're awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010 01:52:08 PM »

This is a great idea! I'd love to do this (the magnets) with a lunch box and some felt shapes (fishes or letters). Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie a Tie: Four-in-Hand Knot
How to Wear to a Festival
How to Buy Underwear for Your Partner
How to Pick Shoes to Make Short Legs Look Longer
How to Pick Shoes to Go with Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...