A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Sewing Inside the Circle"  (Read 646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivyannie
« on: July 08, 2010 08:43:43 AM »

So, my fantabulous Huskylock s25 is supposed to arrive by UPS today, so I've been on a serger research rampage for the last couple weeks.  One of the only "cons" of the s25 that I've seen mentioned is the lack of a free arm, but some reviewers are dismissing that as a non-issue because you can always "sew inside the circle" for hemming sleeves or pant legs.

I *think* I have an idea of what this "sewing inside the circle" means, but would really appreciate it if anyone can confirm.  Diagrams or YouTube videos would be especially awesome. 

I'll be sure to post a review of the s25 after a couple weeks of fiddling with it, because there doesn't seem to be much out there on this machine.  I know serger basics from high school Home Ec but have sewn exclusively on a 1950's Singer Slant-o-Matic for the last 5 years, so buying the s25 is a little like going from a Huffy with training wheels straight to a Lance Armstrong racing bike (or, perhaps, a 500HP Harley).  The deal was just too good to pass up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010 05:17:18 PM »

My serger has a free arm, but all the other sergers I have worked on don't. I didn't think it was all that common.

Do you have a sewing machine? Does it have a free arm? You know how you can have a plate or tray that attaches to a sewing machine so that you have a flat table-like surface when you are sewing. But if you remove this you just have a little flat space in front of and behind the needle. When you just have that little area you can take something that is sewn in a circle (like the end of a sleeve or a pant leg) you can put the pant leg around the free arm of the sewing machine and stitch. Sewing "inside the circle" would be instead of putting the pant leg around the sewing machine you put the leg so the opening is on top of the sewing machine.

No free arm means you can't put the pant leg (or whatever circle around the serger you have to put it on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DMQT #20 - Final Cut Pro - Applying Filters ...
DMQT #21 - Final Cut Pro - 4 Ways To Search / ...
DMQT #22 - Photoshop CS3 - Creating A ...
DMQT #28 - Final Cut Pro - Searching For ...
DMQT #29 - Final Cut Pro - Creating a Freeze Frame
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...