A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,627
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Sketchbook Project Craftalong 2010  (Read 112527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prettyinpaisley
« Reply #920 on: September 25, 2010 11:12:50 AM »

Just thought I'd brag, that I got two more pages done! Though, I am only satisfied with one of them. I'm trying desperately to do the "one spread per week" thing, but it isn't always yielding the best results -  I'll post pics soon.

I second the idea for a number completed in the signature. I'm currently at 4/24 (plus THE COVER! YIKES!)

Even attempting the cover scares me beyond belief! It's a nightmare. Is anyone else having this problem? So far it has a few splotches on it because I accidentally set it in paint while working, and it's dented from the STUPID mailman who jammed it in my apartment mail box. Also, I had to duct tape the spine to secure the binding, because it was on the verge of falling out! (Does anyone know how best to conceal duct tape?) BLARGBLARG! At this rate, I'll need a miracle for the cover to even look presentable.

EDIT:

Perhaps I'll use my theme "Boys and Girls" and use the duct tape (as something traditionally masculine) combined with lace (or something equally "feminine")- and see if I can't make a statement with it. I dunno... it just might work.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010 10:56:00 AM by prettyinpaisley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafting blog: www.prettyinpaisley .com

Www.wists.com/prettyinpaisley

Sketchbook project: "Boys and girls"
TheMadMel

Meh... Just start cutting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #921 on: September 25, 2010 05:20:24 PM »

I have the kraft brown cover and I bought red tie dye colored duct tape to cover it in.  I figure since my theme is "Adhere to me" what could be more appropriate than duct tape?  I bought many fun colors of duct tape including chrome and I hope to use them throughout the sketchbook.  I'm debating over whether or not to have the whole cover red tie dye or to put that down first, then layer chrome or black or white over top of it, leaving shapes of the red tie dye showing through like hearts or stars or waves or something.

In duct tape collage, what does a good job of sealing the seams so the duct tape doesn't get pulled up when it rubs on things? Should I try that Delorean's Wax or what?  Anyone have any experience sealing duct tape collages?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sketchbook Project 2011 Tour - "Adhere to Me"
A Million Little Pictures - "The Great Adventures of"
"My NEW blog!"
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #922 on: September 26, 2010 12:30:36 PM »

Okay, I am stuck firmly in the way behind camp! I've been so busy with the start of school that I haven't even been on Craftster too often.

I've also been meaning to ask a question:

I read somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that using acrylic paints on the pages can make them stick together. Is there any way to prevent this? Can I use any type of sealant that won't be sticky?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
TheMadMel

« Reply #923 on: September 26, 2010 12:52:42 PM »

I read somewhere that Delorean's Wax (I bought mine at Dick Blick) can be rubbed on using your fingertip, then buffed so that pages won't stick together.  That's what I'm going to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My NEW blog!"
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #924 on: September 26, 2010 07:01:36 PM »

I read somewhere that Delorean's Wax (I bought mine at Dick Blick) can be rubbed on using your fingertip, then buffed so that pages won't stick together.  That's what I'm going to use.

Thanks! There isn't a Dick Blick close by (there may be one in Boston) so if the art store down the road doesn't carry it, I'll order it online.

ETA: Except I just looked for it online and can't find it...

Another ETA: But I did find this site ( http://www.altered-book.com/acrylic-paints.html ) that suggests using a Krylon spray.

And yet another ETA: And then I found this: http://newfry.typepad.com/newfry/2009/11/how-to-keep-art-journal-pages-from-sticking-and-write-over-acrylics.html which suggests Dorland's wax (is that what you meant MadMel? Dick Blick has this, so I'm guessing it's the same stuff Wink ). I just love Google!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010 07:16:16 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
prettyinpaisley
« Reply #925 on: September 26, 2010 09:06:21 PM »

Liquitex makes a matte gel that I LOVE. It works as a paper adhesive, and doubles as a sealer over acrylic paint, and most other mediums. The only downside I've discovered is that it smears fountain ink. It's also a little spendy, but a small jar will go a long way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #926 on: September 27, 2010 06:14:38 AM »

I'm a big fan of Liquitex Matte Medium.

Liquitex makes a matte gel that I LOVE. It works as a paper adhesive, and doubles as a sealer over acrylic paint, and most other mediums. The only downside I've discovered is that it smears fountain ink. It's also a little spendy, but a small jar will go a long way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
prettyinpaisley
« Reply #927 on: September 27, 2010 11:06:50 AM »

Here's my feminine hygiene page. For the background, I used the "directions" from my period products - I especially like the diagrams.

I've realized that I am a very reckless crafter. I got paint EVERYWHERE while making this page. Every page ends up slightly messier than the one before. I need to find a way to make a contained mess.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010 07:47:21 PM by prettyinpaisley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #928 on: September 27, 2010 07:37:12 PM »

I am so in love with your book and cannot wait to see it in RL, Paisley!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMadMel

« Reply #929 on: September 27, 2010 07:38:57 PM »

Dorland's! Yes, that is what I meant.  Not Delorean. No flux capacitors involved....  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My NEW blog!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple 5-Hour Roast Chicken
Lamb Sliders to go with your Beer
Pizza Dog Bash with Chef Cat De Orio
Big Game Snackers with Chef Jill Houk
Brunch for a Bunch with Chef Cat De Orio
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...