A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: IYP16 - Gallery  (Read 33770 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2010 07:58:11 AM »

Gorgeous Poppet and clothes, with a see through negligee how saucy! Wink

What a beautiful daughter you have too, she is adorable  Grin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010 07:58:39 AM by mink_bikini » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2010 12:30:31 PM »

I received a fabulous package from Beth8144 today! This was her first swap, and she did an amazing job!

She made me a beautiful steampunk poppet who arrived accessorized from head to toe. Her felt hat is adorned with gears, a black feather and a lace veil, and matches her riveted fingerless gloves and boots (both of which snap up). Her hair is so soft and silky! Her eyes are hand-painted a lovely shade of green. She's wearing a 'ruby' choker and earrings. The off-the-shoulder bodice (so sassy!) laces up the back and also has those cool rivets on the front. I love the fabric of the over-skirt, it feels so luxurious! There's a little lock and key dangling in the front. The skirt is all lacy ruffles! She's even wearing lacy panties.  Cheesy

I also got a precious little ami teddy bear for my collection (so cuddly!), a needle book and a bookmark. I've been needing a needle book so badly...I can never find a needle when I need it, but now I'll never be far from this gorgeous book! It has a hand-stitched applique of a raven holding a heart in its beak (love ravens/crows!) and it's big enough to hold even my biggest doll/upholstery needles. The bookmark is just so lovely - it's very delicate and lacy - and it will get a lot of use! Beth also sent a huge bag of dark chocolate to spoil me rotten!

Thank you, Beth, for being such a thoughtful and sweet swap partner!  Kiss  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2010 01:30:41 PM »

What great packages you both sent/received! I don't know much about poppets, but I can see there's a huge amount of skill and love that went into making those. Fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squire_inaria
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2010 02:57:42 PM »

She's beautiful! You guys both do amazing work! I might have to stalk you next time IYP sign ups come around Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2010 05:36:41 PM »

The stitched crow is totally awesome! Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckdragon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2010 05:56:38 PM »

So much detail in both of the poppets!  They are both fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2010 06:15:42 PM »

I was also super spoiled! Jemimah is seriously talented. I'm a little intimidated, to be honest (in a great way, I promise!)
First I tried taking pictures as I was opening, but pretty soon I was so blown away that I stopped snapping pics and could only ooh and aah.

First I found these wonderful cards:

The tea one is my favorite- it says tea with stitching in red thread.

Then there were awesome mitts and scarf.

They are so soft! I've been wearing them since I opened the package. Love!

Next this super cute owl:

I'm putting him on my work bag to help with the crap days.

Still more folks- I was so spoiled! Look at this bag! Jemimah thought it wasn't really my style, but it's perfectly my style!

Now, my favorite thing- Stumpwork dragonfly! It teeny and wonderful and I'm going to display it inside a bell jar.

So, it's all been amazing so far, right? Prepare to be blown away- a hand wiped drypoint etching that blew my socks off.

This was the best photo I could get, let me assure you it is breathtaking in real life.
I can't wait to get it framed!

Extras! The New Zealand stickers are "TOTALLY AWESOME STICKERS" and I say totally awesome ALL THE TIME. Cracks me up.

Stumpwork instructional book (I can't wait to try it!), transfers, blue fabric scraps for a camping quilt, and pretty ribbon that was wrapped around everything with the fabric.

Thank you so much Jemimah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2010 08:22:19 PM »

This gallery is amazing! The poppets are gorgeous (one day, I WILL try them). Loving pearliepie's uber spoilage. The stumpwork is really cool. I don't think I've ever seen it before. Is it just a different form of embroidery?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2010 09:12:19 PM »

Pearliepie, I'm so pleased you like everything! It was a pleasure crafting for you and getting to know you a little. Cheesy

Dharma_rebel, stumpwork is quite an old form of embroidery, where you stitch separate pieces, often wired or stuffed, and attach them to the main embroidery. It's usually quite 3-dimensional, and often incorporates wires, beads, etc. It's lots of fun to do, though it's probably best if you've had a bit of practice at regular or crewel embroidery first.

If anyone is interested in how the dragonfly is made:-
- fuse 2 layers of organza, put in small hoop
- lightly draw 4 wing shapes with a hard pencil
- couch fine wire around the wings, using single strand floss, very closely spaced (no gaps showing wire), leaving an inch or so wire ends
- stitch veins on wings (fly stitch, finest thread you can find)
- cut out wings very carefully
- put base fabric in hoop, very taut, 2 layers or line with calico
- mark dragonfly position lightly
- (this is the hard part) using a large needle, poke it through so the eye is sitting in the fabric, attach wings through hole
- carefully secure wires to back of fabric, under where the body will go, trim wire ends if needed
- arrange and attach beads for body in one long stitch, then couch between each bead in position
- attach eye beads
- stitch antennae and legs with fine Kreinik cord or similar (something roughly sewing thread size)
- lace firmly on board with thin layer of Pellon padding

If you are keen to try stumpwork, see if you can get hold of some library books on it. I have a book of Jane Nicholas designs that this little fellow is based on.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010 09:34:12 PM by jemimah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2010 09:41:34 PM »

I can embroider and I have to go to the library tomorrow so I'm gonna see if I can find some books. I'm in the Hoopla swap - something like that might be kind of cool on the hoop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Glamor Shot Tutorial
How to Import Photoshop Files in Microsoft Expression Web
Picasa 3: A Photo and Video Editing Freeware
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper - Part 2
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...