A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Jersey Dress with Gathered Neckline  (Read 5714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2010 07:36:15 PM »

preview pic of finished dress

So, despite the fact that I have a large collection of sheets for the express purpose of sewing, I had no idea what to make. Finally decided to chop up a really soft dark green jersey sheet my parents had used. It had some holes and odd faded spots that made cutting a large pattern piece difficult.

Beautiful sheet, right?

I frankensteined a pattern (NewLook 6705, if anyone is interested; it is a good pattern) I had to make the yokes narrower and lengthen the pattern. Hooray for large pieces of paper! And then I cut. I hate cutting cotton, and since I had never worked with jersey before, I was more frustrated than I imagined I would be. After cutting the pieces, I ran to Iowa for 6 days. This is how I made a 1 day project into a 2 week one.

I had decided to do French seams. I know that jersey doesn't fray, but I have a slight obsession with eliminating all raw edges. Hence, I doubled my sewing. I like it anyway. I won't bore you with the pinning, sewing, pinning again, and sewing again. The actual sewing is my favorite part.

Bound off the lower part of the armholes. Not to bad.

Attached the front of the dress to the front yoke. Mmm...gathers. The original pattern called for pleats.

I went on, actually following the pattern instructions, to apply the inside yoke facing. Attaching and topstiching at the neckline wasn't too bad. I like topstitiching, which is why I used black thread. (That, and the fact that I have no green thread.)

And now we enter my least favorite part of the project. When I used this pattern once before, I made a version with sleeves. Well, it turns out that when there are not sleeves, the pattern requires a large amount of tedious turning-under of edges. It is not fun to turn two different raw edges in towards each other. I will say I am proud of the result though since, as per my irrational expectations, there are no raw edges anywhere.

If you've stayed with me this long, you deserve another mediocre final-product picture. And so do I!

And, on a side note. I started another project with more of the sheet. Being a queen, there is a LOT left. I thought this would be an easy way to satisfy my Celtic knot craving, but it isn't as easy as I thought. It's nearly done now, applied to interfacing. I was planning on using it for the back yoke of some sort of flyaway jacket once I cut the interfacing away, but now I can't really decide what to do with it. It wasn't easy, and I want to make sure the finished product looks good. Any suggestions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010 08:11:45 PM »

Thats an awesome use to an old sheet. I would of never guessed that's what the dress was made of if you didn't mention it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010 07:18:07 AM »

i love the neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
Opalgryphon
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010 03:27:34 PM »

That's awesome!  I've actually thought of using those super cheap jersey knit sheet sets for clothes because I hate the jersey knit that's available at fabric stores.  It seems awfully thick and stiff (I'm talking about fabric here, keep your mind out of the gutter!). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010 02:36:35 PM »

That's awesome! I've actually thought of using those super cheap jersey knit sheet sets for clothes because I hate the jersey knit that's available at fabric stores.  It seems awfully thick and stiff (I'm talking about fabric here, keep your mind out of the gutter!). 

So funny! I have never bought jersey from a store, but everything I've looked at is really thick. Even though the dress is such a dark color it is really cool because it is so lightweight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
doveylou
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010 08:17:46 PM »

What a nice dress.  And I think your compulsion to hide all raw edges is a good thing.  Nothing says "handmade" like a bunch of unfinished edges.  But I agree it can suck up a big chunk of your life.  I just spent far too much time making a gift bag for a 3 year old's birthday party (actually a tote bag from Thomas the Tank Engine fabric).  I did french seams and bound the top edge because I can't stand to see frayed edges on the inside of a bag.  As if the kid will notice or care!  But I had to do it.  And I think every time you wear that dress, you'll be glad you made the effort to make it perfect.  Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSavoyTruffle

I want a head like the heads I see on EasterIsland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010 10:25:35 PM »

I love this dress because it looks so simple and comfortable looking! The neckline is very cute and the style would look good on almost any body type!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay me down and close my eyes where the red-winged blackbird flies...
wandrintiger
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010 01:07:32 PM »

I love this. I want one, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
XMACCHIATO
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010 02:18:32 PM »

simple and elegant
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miz Spike
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010 08:14:49 AM »

For the Celtic knot; make another dress with that as front neckline.

Or stitch it to an existing purse or totote and carry it with your lovely dress!

Miz spike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Food Writer Michael Ruhlman
Roz Savage Reveals Her Favorite Song
Gustavo Arellano Talks About Orange County
Meet Author Glenn Beck
Meet Author Allison Dubois
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...