A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy walls. Help !  (Read 2353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prl.amy
« on: July 07, 2010 06:51:06 PM »

So.. I am renting a room in my mom's friend house. It actually belongs to her daughter, but she will be away in spain for 14 months.
Anyway.. I am not allowed to paint anything & the walls are insane.. Seriusly, i have no idea what she did with them.

walk-in wiew

1wall & bathroom door

that stupid door closer

wall

wall
/
It's really big. Like 37 square meters or whatever the thing is.

I want to seperate study & bed area, but still.. With WHAT? I have no ideas.

/ English is not my mother language so excuse me .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010 07:32:25 PM »

part of it looks like she tried to paint over it white n part of it looks like she tried to paint it pink.... truthfully i would just paint it all white.... i mean 14 months is a long time to put up with ugly pink walls with half painted sections and drawings on them, and when the woman gets back she can go back to trashing the walls all she wants
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
lunamadre
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010 08:20:01 PM »

oh my god.

That's way worse than I was expecting to see....wow.

First of all I can't believe you're not allowed to paint!  This room is in serious need of some quality paint!  It would be the best solution, honestly....but they said no, so let's think here...

I'm afraid all the solutions that I am thinking of might be a little expensive, but I'll put them out there anyway.

I used to work at Macy's in the visual merchandising department, and we used this technique all the time.  To recreate the look/color of a space without actually painting, we used foam core board. We would get large sheets of foam core (4 foot by 8 foot), and tack them to the wall with bank pins (the largest pin pictured here, without the T shape on the top: http://www.aaimporting.net/Everyday/pins_wire.html).  We would hammer them in on an angle until they bit into the wall, and then use wire cutters to snip off the rest of the exposed pin.  We would start by tacking along the top, and then down each side, then butt the next piece and tack it, etc etc.  If we were covering glass or mirrored surfaces, we used double stick tape.
Often we used fabric to cover pieces of foam core for particular themes, and we would lay the fabric down on the floor, set the foam core on top, then gently staple gun the fabric to the back of the board, keeping the front smooth.  We would lightly steam it if it was badly wrinkled.  Foam core is expensive, but if you run across something similar to use this method, like huge sheets of thick cardboard, it might work.  It might work on the smaller wall under the windows too.  If you do use foam core, make sure to use a NEW sharp blade in your utility knife and a straight edge to cut it, otherwise the paper on top will look ragged and little bits of foam will flake everywhere.  You will need to cut out little windows in the foam core so you don't cover up any electrical outlets or light switches.  And if you are cutting your foam core, don't walk, stand or kneel on the board, it will dent. 

The other solution would be to "wallpaper" using something that is not permanent.  For example, staple gun some long pieces of burlap or felt to the wall, or even cheaper, maybe try a roll of gift wrap, or newsprint.  If you go to a local newspaper printers, sometimes they have left over rolls of plain newsprint that is too small for them to use, but is a TON for you to use, and they might give it to you for free or for very little.
Lots of large posters might help too.  You could even make wallpaper:  tape together smaller pieces like posters or magazine pages into a large panel, and then staple gun that to the wall so it's a big sheet, and not using a hundred staples and making a ton of holes in the wall.  You could also use fabric, king size bed sheets would probably work well, and basically make looooong curtains.

Separating the space into bedroom and study area might not be too hard if you have some kind of furniture that can be a divider.  If you have a bookcase or couch, you could put it in the middle of the room to split the space, or use something like a large floor plant or folding screen to help too.  Honestly, I would probably not worry about dividing the space, and put any large pieces of furniture against the craziest part of the walls to hide the most of it that you can!

Good luck!  i would love to hear what solution you come up with.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010 11:39:45 PM »

If sound is not an issue you could get lots of sheets and make dividers and cover those horrid walls with them.  Maybe a hotel would have ones they don't want any more?  You could patch any holes with art.  You might want to use thin long bits of wood to help hold the sheets better to the walls and ceiling.  Think Arib tents kind of.  Or tiedye tham and be a hippie for a bit Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
digitalann
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010 10:07:11 AM »

I have honestly never seen walls so bad. Wow.

Try sheeting the ones that are multicolored (at a minimum), or the whole room. Or beg them to let you paint it what the daughter's favorite color is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Offering Austin interior design services.
prl.amy
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010 02:30:12 PM »

I have honestly never seen walls so bad. Wow.

Try sheeting the ones that are multicolored (at a minimum), or the whole room. Or beg them to let you paint it what the daughter's favorite color is.
Daughter's favorite color is black.. & they told me that i am allowed to paint only 1 wall & that must be black.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunamadre
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010 08:09:13 PM »

Are you serious??? Wow.

I don't know if painting ONE wall black would help this room!  That's insane.... I just looked at the pictures again and I can't even pick the "worst" wall to cover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lydiaharper
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010 08:41:49 AM »

Your title is so right on!  Those are some fugly CRAZY walls.  Shocked And it looks like one seriously CRAZY person lived there.  Roll Eyes

I would do something like fabric on the walls.  Maybe do a black and _____ (whatever color you like) color scheme and paint the one wall black, and use the starch or heck even the staples, since some staples can't do much damage to those walls, and put up some fabric that adds color.  Look on the clearance or discount racks for fabric to go as cheap as possible. 

Then just pull it down before you leave, and she can have those nasty walls back.  LOL   Grin

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_chan
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010 08:19:47 AM »

Make sure you save the pictures you posted here so they don't try to claim YOU did that sh*t to the walls.

Man, I hope she comes back from Spain with TASTE.

How much you bet that the room and having black as her favorite color was a thing from when she was like 17 and angsty and she'll come back from Spain and be like "WTF was I thinking? And whyTF did my parents leave it that way??"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prl.amy
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010 01:34:06 PM »

Make sure you save the pictures you posted here so they don't try to claim YOU did that sh*t to the walls.

Man, I hope she comes back from Spain with TASTE.

How much you bet that the room and having black as her favorite color was a thing from when she was like 17 and angsty and she'll come back from Spain and be like "WTF was I thinking? And whyTF did my parents leave it that way??"
Hehe, she is 3 days younger than me. Her mom lets her do whatever she wants.

& i have good news now. she said that it's okay, if i paint 2 walls black, and 2 walls white. problem solved, jeah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backgammon: Playing The Game
Backgammon Opening Position
How to Play Backgammon: Rules
How To Make a Memorial Vase Arrangement
How To Make a Bow Using Double Face Wired Ribbon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...