A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for keeping the cost of shipping and packaging low  (Read 2055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

signalsurreal
« on: July 07, 2010 07:36:45 AM »

Wow I can't believe I've been a member since 2004 and haven't posted anything  Huh

Anyways, would like to get tips on getting price breaks on shipping through USPS and packaging materials. I'm always shocked that some people can offer free shipping and I'm wondering how I could do the same. Also are there any good sites for purchasing discount packaging material (I create jewelry FYI, but also looking into reselling vintage items)

Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010 10:09:17 AM »

Here are a few things I do to keep shipping and packaging low:

-Reuse boxes or make your own box if you have an oddly shaped item.  You can turn a box inside out to reuse for business purposes (just don't do this with a Priority Mail box--that's illegal).  The worst thing to have to do is buy boxes. 

-Reuse packing materials, like packing peanuts, paper wrapping,  bubble wrap--as long as it's clean, dry, and odor free no one will know where it came from.  Also use newspaper or dollar store plain tissue paper.

-Use the smallest size box or envelope possible.  Bubble mailers rock!

-Ship First Class instead of Priority whenever possible--ESPECIALLY internationally!

-Get Delivery Confirmation.  Yes, this is an extra 80 cents, but it's proof you sent the item in case your buyer would say they didn't get the item.

-I also don't sell things that I know will require a lot of postage (big stuffed things, mostly)--if you want to make pillows, just make the cases and have the buyer stuff it themselves. 

-Use Parcel Post for big packages unless they need to be rushed.

Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
surrealsignal
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010 12:32:39 PM »

Thank you for the tips!

I'd also like to know about any good wholesale sites out there for packaging. I'm sure I will have to buy this stuff at some point Smiley

And am I living in a fantasy world or is there a way to get a price break from USPS if you do a lot of shipping??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toney
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010 03:30:18 PM »

Hi surrealsignal

What sugarshox said is generally correct, be efficient with your packaging, width, height and length all matter if you are trying to post for as cheap as possible.

I would say if your products have a general size go onto Ebay and get a bulk deal on say 50 or 100 small bubblemailers or boxes, there are LOADS of suppliers on Ebay for packaging.

USPS is just a standard mailing service so you wont get a break from them, doesn't matter how much you ship, they charge per package.

It is possible to get a good deal from a proper courier, but it would probably only be in your interests if you were shipping tons of goods every day, I assume you are in the beginning phases of business so you have a while to go yet for this to apply to you.

But don't worry about all that start slow & choose a good price for your products, if you incorporate packaging in your pricing then you can ship for free also.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010 03:31:38 PM by Toney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010 06:50:06 AM »

Uline.com has shipping stuff for the best prices around. You might get a deal on ebay, but make sure they don't kill you on shipping and find someone you can go back to and get the same stuff. Searching around for bargains sometimes takes more time than it's worth.

If someone told me I had to stuff my own pillow, I'd leave their shop immediately...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

metalsmitten
MetalSmitten!

Girl Silversmith. http://metalsmitten.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010 10:28:03 PM »

My personal favorite for shipping supplies: www.lintonlabels.com

A lot of those places that always offer free shipping have actually increased their prices to totally cover shipping, then just dropped the shipping. (Not all, but many do this.)

Are you charging actual shipping cost or are you charging for the mailer, packaging, etc also? Make sure all your costs are covered!

If you use Endicia or some of those other online postage printy sites, they'll often give you a small discount on shipping price. I use Endicia, and not only does it hide the actual shipping cost on the label (so that customers don't think I'm overcharging when I'm actually just charging shipping + packaging) but it gives a small discount and free delivery confirm. It does cost on a monthly basis, but I ship a fair amount so it's totally worth it for me.

Hope some of this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010 06:29:56 PM »

Uline.com has shipping stuff for the best prices around. You might get a deal on ebay, but make sure they don't kill you on shipping and find someone you can go back to and get the same stuff. Searching around for bargains sometimes takes more time than it's worth.

If someone told me I had to stuff my own pillow, I'd leave their shop immediately...

The only reason I am contemplating selling pillow covers instead of actual pillows is because of the shipping and cost of materials.  I just can't find a way to make stuffed pillows both affordable to the buyer and cost-effective to me to sell.  Both shipping & material cost (we're not even talking about labor)are so high that I would have to charge a lot to just break even on the sale--I don't think a customer would want to pay $8-$10 in shipping costs (my regular size stuffed guys cost about $4 to ship, and pillows would be 2 to 3 times bigger). Stuffing is also expensive with the cost of that material in itself--unless you're using fiberfill (which loses its resiliency after a month or so), pillow forms are expensive to be buying, especially for larger size pillows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
MissMalaprop
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010 06:52:38 PM »

USPS actually does offer a slight price break if you set up a business account and have it so that you can calculate and print out your shipping labels online. You need a shipping scale, because you'll need to enter the weight of the package. It makes it easier because then you don't have to stand in line at the post office either, and you can actually schedule for the postman to pick it up from your house.

USPS also offers some free shipping supplies through their website. I know you can get most of the flat rate priority mail packaging for free. You just have to set up an account and order it through their site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

surrealsignal
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010 06:31:57 AM »

Thanks for all the great tips and sites everyone. I can tell this is a topic on everybody's mind, not just my own Smiley And Sugarshox I totally agree with you, the idea is to sell the highest quality product without getting hammered by shipping expenses (from both the seller and the buyer). I firmly believe that if you make something to sell you should make a profit (unless its a trade with someone)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HardLuckGal
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010 01:27:10 PM »

I sell and ship mostly clothing items so I always ship priority. The boxes are free and the actual cost to ship priority vs. parcel post is never more than it would cost to purchase boxes/packaging to ship it in. Also, as a bonus, the USPS will deliver the boxes right to my home and pick them up for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - 27 and 28
Playing Darts - The Game of Cricket
Playing Darts - Games of 301 and 501
Playing Darts - Proper Technique
Playing Darts - Equipment
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...