A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miss Woodhouse  (Read 6993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShoelessJane
« on: July 06, 2010 07:26:30 PM »

Okay, I'm brand spankin' wet-behind-the-ears new to craftster, so new that I'm not allowed to post pictures yet, (i can has photos!) so please, be kind!

Also, this is not a recent project for me, it was done a while ago, but it *was* made from a bedsheet, has never been entered in any kind of contest, and I've been wanting to get some decent photos of it, anyway.  (If "not made specifically for this challenge" disqualifies the entry, so be it.)  Further, apologies for the kind of crappy photos--it's the webcam special tonight, I'm afraid.

The story.  My name, my real name (as opposed to my reenactor, etsy, and craftster persona) is Emma.  So I made this dress so I could be Emma for halloween, because that's the sort of thing that totally cracks me up.

The dress was patterned from a draft in Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 2, and while I'd love to give more information on the original dress, the book is in storage at the moment.  I do remember that it's English, circa 1800-1810. -ish.

The construction is odd.  It's an apron-front, which means the rectangular portion that covers the bust and the skirt panel that's attached to it are only pinned to the back bodice. The back bodice has tabs that wrap around under the bustline and pin together there.  The front panel has long ties that wrap around the body (slipping through belt loops near the center back) and tie in front.  I would have taken photos with the apron front down, but they wouldn't be exactly family-friendly.

my crappy little webcam isn't good enough to capture the details, which is a shame.  The apron front has lines of soutache braid, mimicking the pintucks of the original.  The skirt has cartridge pleats in the center back, stacked box pleats to either side of the cartridge pleats, knife pleats at the side front, and a little bit of gathering at the center front.

(bonus kitten ears!)

The sheet in question is a very old, very soft, possibly linen (but if not, all cotton-no poly here!) flat sheet. It tears very easily, and the skirt has already been darned in the back where something caught and ripped a 14" hole.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 10:36:39 PM by ShoelessJane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010 07:45:19 PM »

Gracious, Miss Woodhouse- that certainly is a lot of work you have done!

I am a fan of Jane (the original Jane, without the zombie ninjas...) and you have done a really lovely job here. And I love the braids- you are set for halloween!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
GlinkS1063

I can make that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010 08:37:30 PM »

beautiful work, it looks straight from emma, all you need now is a little nosegay Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010 08:10:45 AM »

absolutely gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennilocker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010 12:38:32 PM »

This is beautiful!!  Excellent job!  It actually looks comfy which is not how I imagined English women's clothes in the 1800's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShoelessJane
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010 12:54:40 PM »

Thank you all!  You're right, I need a nosegay, as well as gloves, a spencer, maybe a fan...

But I'm sorry to tell you, Jenni, it's *not* that comfortable.  The construction of the bodice forces my shoulders all the way back.  Very elegant, and boobtastic, but not so comfortable.  (I could probably tweak the pattern to make it better, but then the lines in the back would be wrong. Probably.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raennn
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010 07:15:07 PM »

Lovely!! You know you did an authentic job if it isn't comfortable but still looks light and airy. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010 11:45:56 AM »

Oh so regency. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSavoyTruffle

I want a head like the heads I see on EasterIsland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010 09:35:33 PM »

This is lovely! I've been looking for a Austen-esque dress pattern to make for Halloween as well! Yours turned out very lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay me down and close my eyes where the red-winged blackbird flies...
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010 11:29:17 AM »

I love it, it totally suits you. Welcome to craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate Anime Eyes
How to Illustrate Anime Boys
How to Illustrate Anime Wings
How to Illustrate Anime Hands
Website Design and Development Terminology
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...