A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Painting around a toilet is tricky - but worth it :)  (Read 12515 times)
Tags for this thread: bathroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFunkyDuck
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010 06:53:25 PM »

What an amazing idea! I love the blue walls with all the mirrors, it looks great... I have so many mismatched mirrors that I had no clue what to do with, thanks so much for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop and follow me on Twitter for special discounts and giveaways!

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'littlejerryjewelry.etsy.com')
Twitter: @littlejjewelry
coloringmyworld

I want to be crafty forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010 06:59:17 AM »

LOL im one of those weird people who like cleaning and it isnt even my house Tongue

If you lived near me, I'd totally hire you to help me tidy up the place! LoL!! It's not that I don't like cleaning, I'd just rather do something else!  Lol!

What an amazing idea! I love the blue walls with all the mirrors, it looks great... I have so many mismatched mirrors that I had no clue what to do with, thanks so much for the inspiration!

Thank you! (and you're welcome Wink )
I did the same thing! I have collected mirrors that I love and decided they were doing me no good just lining the walls or piled in a corner.  I love them all together on the walls Smiley  Lifts my spirit every time Smiley  I still have a few more floating around that didn't fit into the wall and i need to figure out what to do with them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
damedremel
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010 07:31:09 PM »

What an awesome bathroom make over. The window treatment is pure genius - perhaps you might think about doing the same to the inside of the door or the fronts of the cupboards. I am still waffling about doing my ensuite bathroom - I have yucky grey marbly tiles with a pink floral border along the top which I want gone but too scared to start taking off in case I wreck the walls. I am thinking maybe what you did to your windows I can do to my tiles .... hhmmmmmm
thanks for the inspiration,
Dame Dremel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coloringmyworld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010 01:48:34 PM »

What an awesome bathroom make over. The window treatment is pure genius - perhaps you might think about doing the same to the inside of the door or the fronts of the cupboards. I am still waffling about doing my ensuite bathroom - I have yucky grey marbly tiles with a pink floral border along the top which I want gone but too scared to start taking off in case I wreck the walls. I am thinking maybe what you did to your windows I can do to my tiles .... hhmmmmmm
thanks for the inspiration,
Dame Dremel

I bet you can do it to your tiles!!  I would use mod-podge for sure, though because of the humidity in a bathroom.  I don't know if a starch solution/paste would last as long in a bathroom - it might though if there isn't a shower.  I tried putting sheer fabric on my patio sliding doors today using a starch paste and it didn't work so well - an opaque fabric would have worked better...I could tell where my paste was a little thinker in some places than others.  I also took a crow bar to the chair rails in my hall way!  I figure, I can putty the walls if I put a little ding it Smiley  I hope I don't regret it! Smiley  Lol!  Sorry for the novel  Cheesy Best of luck in your bathroom Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010 03:56:31 PM »

*Adding that fabric on the windows idea to my list of things to do in my next house. Smiley

Also, great idea having a mirror at your daughter's height!  I have four little ones and my oldest can see the mirror, but the younger ones can't yet - that would be great for them....nowhere to put it in this house, but it can go on the list, too. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
coloringmyworld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010 04:50:21 PM »

*Adding that fabric on the windows idea to my list of things to do in my next house. Smiley

Also, great idea having a mirror at your daughter's height!  I have four little ones and my oldest can see the mirror, but the younger ones can't yet - that would be great for them....nowhere to put it in this house, but it can go on the list, too. Wink

I'm flattered that you liked my idea enough to do it in your next house!  Cheesy
Yes, It bugged me that Elli couldn't see herself anywhere in the house except our full length mirror - and not that I want to start a complex or anything, but I thought she'd like it!  It turns out, I was right!  And it's great for me because she puts on a great show makes funny faces to herself in it! Grin

Good luck on your next house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amber.hope
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011 03:57:41 PM »

I just love the treatment you did on your walls!! I was wondering if you could explain a lil more how you did it? Also did you just use two shades of blue or totally opposit colors? Sorry for so many questions but I want to paint my kitchen with the same technique, and I'm lost
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coloringmyworld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011 05:46:31 AM »

This treatment is so easy!  Basically I picked two colors from the same chip strip.  One was lighter and one was two or three shades darker. 
I painted the lighter color first on the wall - I'm pretty sure it was eggshell finish.  I hate flat paint, so I refuse to use it, but it works best if the first coat is sort-of absorbent. 
So first coat painted... while that's drying mix your second coat in a bucket with some painting medium that is for faux finishing on walls - I think it thins it down without screwing with the drying time...ask the paint department peeps...it's clear, I don't remember what kind it was exactly...sorry. 
Anyhoo, mix that up in a small bucket and grab a bunch of plastic bags.  *word of warning* the ink on the bags could possibly come off on your wall - so make sure you use ones with little printing on it or use the inside of the bag.  I used a LOT of cvs bags. You may also want some gloves, it's not a tidy process!  I didn't, but had blue left on my hands for a couple of days.
Wad up your bag, dip it in, like you would a brush- not completely in, just a part of the bag.  Then, dab it, smash it, stipple it, pounce it, dot it on the wall in random ways in one little area - work your wall in sections.  Don't slide it or swipe it or anything like that!  It will smear the paint and you'll have to start over. The plastic is going to add and remove the second color of paint leaving a cool effect on the wall. 
You don't have to leave the bag balled up either.  I would start out tidy and then end up with it open, scrunched up small, then loosely wrapped around my hands while I'm patting the bag like I'm giving the wall a high-five, etc.  The more you don't do the same motion with the bag in the same position, the better the effect.  Work quickly, so you don't over work the paint.  It's fun and forgiving too! If you have someone helping you, don't start on opposite walls and meet in the middle.  It will look different-believe it or not!  Work side by side getting into each other's space so that you're work as one - trust me on this!  Your technique can even look different day to day. 
It's really really easy and not as intimidating as maybe I'm explaining it. Does that make any sense at all?  It's been a while since I've done it.  If you have any more questions, please please please ask!  Good luck!  You'll love it!!!  In my other house I did it with greens and it was awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amber.hope
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011 07:00:14 PM »

I'm so excited to start my project now! Its a pretty big one, I'm doing my living room and kitchen, yikes. I'm doing a lil more neutral colors there, tan and dark tan/brownish. But I do plan on doing my daughters bathroom with the same technique with pinks! Wish me luck!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coloringmyworld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011 07:05:00 AM »

I'm so excited to start my project now! Its a pretty big one, I'm doing my living room and kitchen, yikes. I'm doing a lil more neutral colors there, tan and dark tan/brownish. But I do plan on doing my daughters bathroom with the same technique with pinks! Wish me luck!!  Wink

Yay!  Good luck!  You're going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ingredients for Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make Raw Food Spring Rolls
Filling Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make a Raw Red Thai Curry
Red Thai Curry Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...