A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,785
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What goes where? Making a bath mat thingy for my daughter...  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 06, 2010 04:42:37 AM »

Hello out there, I am desperately hoping someone can help me with my little dilema!
In our  bathroom we have a rather large pile of towels laid out on the floor permanently for when we get my daughter out of the  bath (she is 14months old) but I did a huge clean out of the room and decided to make something a bit easier to use and less washing of towels after they get walked all over.
I came up with the idea of using some fabric I have which is plastic quilted with a thin layer of wadding inbetween. Used for making change mats etc...
I was going to sew a few old towels on top of that to make a little mat which I can just hang up to dry much easier.
But then I was sorting through my stash and found a super soft felt which I thought might be a bit nicer than towelling for my girl. Only problem is that it is slightly waterproof so the water wont absorb into it.....
We do lie her towel down on top and attempt to dry her off first (she's a wriggler!) but then i pull it out when it comes to her clothes....So she isnt lying on wet towel in her pajamas.
So I guess my question is, what order should I do the fabric?
Id really like the use the felt even as just padding under the towel as it has sat in my stash for years and I really dont like the print at all, I bought it to make something for a friend but bought way too much. (Thats what insane specials do to me!)
I'm leaning towards the plastic, then felt then towel, just so any extra water would get absorbed  by the towel on top...... But the felt is so much softer.
Ah help please!
(Sorry for the ginormous essay of a question!)

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010 04:04:27 PM »

Felt may be softer, but since it repels water, it won't help her dry off. I'd suggest using it as padding under the terrycloth. If you're concerned about scratchiness and skin feel, there's some absolutely amazing terrycloth out there.

Honey Fork Fabrics has some astoundingly soft and absorbent cotton/bamboo blend terrycloth http://www.honeyforkfabrics.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?product=basic1&productid=fq331&mult=natural, but it's fairly expensive.  Vogue Fabrics has some less expensive, but still very soft and thick terrycloth as well. http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/product.php?productid=7836&cat=0&page=1

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Somen Noodles Recipe
Japanese Cooking, Vegas Style
Sweet Potato Mushipan Recipe
How to Make Tako-Meshi, Mixed Rice with Octopus
How to Make Taco Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...