A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A little bird told me...  (Read 3888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2010 09:46:34 PM »

Birds are such pretty things. They chirp and sing, fly around like fairy folk, perch on your shoulder and make you feel like Snow White. Then of course someone has to come around to offer you a Washington apple. Don't buy apples from strangers. If you must, buy it from a reputable store because you really don't want to contract narcolepsy as it wouldn't benefit your career at all.

So back to birds. They eat horrible creatures such as insects and worms so that your delicate sensibilities would not be offended whenever you step outside of your comfortable home. We should have more birds around. Although, I have one small suggestion. Birds should not be allowed to defecate. Instead they should regurgitate a beautiful jewel every time they are done digesting a disgusting creature. This way everyone will be happier and no one needs a change of clothing.

There are some birds that really don't need to be seen; buzzards, vultures, turkeys, and other hideous ones. I saw a buzzard this evening as I was driving on the highway. It was perched on the railing as I passed by and I guess it wasn't too fond of me either, so it flew off down hill.

Oh yeah I made a clay dragon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010 03:02:59 AM »

LOL LOL LOL!!!

you're exactly right about birds!!!

your dragon is FABULOUS!!!!
did you use one colour of clay and paint?
i love the skin texture!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010 06:00:23 AM »

hahaha I'm glad you enjoyed my dribble.  I used one colour sculpey... basically that brown/orange looking colour that came in the box.  Then I used metallic aquamarine acrylic paint on it.

As for the skin texture, all I did was run lines with a dental pick.  I have another dragon to post but I don't want to be a spammer so I'll wait a couple of days before posting the next one.

I'm glad you enjoyed the dragon, Nouga.  Thanks for motivating me to make one (or two)! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010 08:07:19 AM »

Nice dragon! and like the "base" it's on.  

Will you be trying metallic powders sometime too (like Pearl Ex, e.g., or one of the ones with a binder, or real metal powders though those have to be sealed against later oxidation) as well as the metallic acrylic paints?  
Most of the powders can look different depending on which color clay they're brushed into too, the colors can be mixed (before application or after), and there are even a few "interference colors" that do the light-shifting thing.

There are also interesting metallic/pearlescent (thin bodied acrylics) that can look pretty cool too like Lumiere/etc, and actual pearlescent inks like Pinata, and metallic powders can even be turned into paints by mixing them into clear clay-safe finishes/sealers.

As for birds, love 'em.  When I think of bird poop I tend to think of all the interesting seeds and even parasites they act as transportation for, as well as all that good fertilizer since I'm kind of science-oriented as well as animal-lover (I remind myself of these things when cleaning bird decorations off my car every so often...lol).  
I'm even partial to vultures since a friend of mine in college was doing a study she dreamed up using two vultures (she named them Elvira and Virgil). They're actually friendly and fantastic birds once the fact that it has the "bald" head isn't seen as ugly, quite magnificent up close, and intelligent to interact with.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 08:08:19 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
nougatgee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010 08:19:41 AM »

Smiley
when i think of bird poop i rather prefer clayman's alternative Smiley

i'm dying to see dragon number 2....Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010 08:38:44 AM »

I remind myself of these things when cleaning bird decorations off my car every so often...lol

lol when life throws you a lemon, you make a screwdriver out of it.  I like the way you think Diane.

I have used pearlescent acrylics before and it really does have a nice effect.  I think the metallics really worked well on dragon skin.  Almost has an armour like quality about it.

I love watching birds eating off the feeder, so do the cats.  lol I have heard of parasites that come out from bird poop.  I think I saw one such clip about a parasite infested insect eaten by a bird and then the bird started acting crazy as well or something I can't remember. lol@ vulture names.

Do you run out to buy the lottery when a bird craps on you?  Its good luck I've heard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010 08:47:55 AM »

i'm dying to see dragon number 2....Smiley

Nouga, as I was making them, I realized that it was so much easier to make dragon heads if I pictured a horse's head with alligator skin and bull horns, and toad warts all over.  I messed up the wings on this one... it looks more terradactyl than anything else lol.  I tried to imagine what a bat's wings looked like and made the 2nd one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010 12:03:56 PM »

I love the pterodactyl look of the wings on this one! I do like the look of the paint on the dragon. I was going to ask if you used pearlex, but I agree about the paint. It looks more like skin, probably because it is more like skin. Plus you get much more even coverage with less effort. And you don't have to use clay that will not change the color of the powder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
clayman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010 12:23:36 PM »

aww thank you teapot *smiles*  I really was a little hesitant about the wings... I didn't even think to look up a reference until it was baked, then I thought oh god... ok what do I do now.

Which was why I made a 2nd one.

Yeah paints are great... I don't have to buy a bunch of coloured clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ankhored
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010 06:15:53 AM »

That dragon is so cute , aw I want one Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is my Inspiration.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
You’ll Never Guess The First Thing Miss USA Ate After Her Victory
See Makeup Pro Kandee Johnson Transform Into Taylor Swift
Pick Up This Purse Essential on Your Next Grocery Trip
The Best Beauty Products for Summer Chosen by Essence
High School-Appropriate Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...