A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An amazingly yellow dahlia for winter use  (Read 3272 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

syrlig
« on: July 04, 2010 09:32:08 AM »

So, I've knitted the wonderful dahlia sweater. It's sooo pretty! And the pattern is wonderful! Cheesy I was thinking of wearing it in the winter over a long sleeve. Cute and warm!

I changed the cable to something easier to knit up and made it a bit longer, to wear it as a tunic. It was a real pain in the end because I increased between the stitches to make a A shape, I think I had about 500 stitches to bind off. But it's really wide and flowy and lovely.

I bound off a bit tight so the neckline is too high up. I'm thinking of redoing that since I'll be using a top under anyway and it might give my bust a bit more room. Also, that would make it a bit longer and cover my butt a bit more - I think that wearing tights as pants with regular tops are tasteless, and I'm not sure my dahlia is long enough.

I also did some increases below the bust so it would fit my curves better. Here is a detail shot of the bust. Sorry for the boobage  *ehm*

Overall I'm happy with it. BUT - now that it's done I've realised it's so very yellow. I have no idea why I chose that color really, I'm more of a purple kinda girl. I guess I was trying to do something different but I've realised that it's just too damn yellow for me to ever wear Sad

It is 100% wool, but I don't want to dye it black - that would loose all the details. Is there anything else I can do to save it? Would blue dye make it green? I've never dyed yarn before and am a bit out of my league here.

It would be sad to frog all that hard work to knit it again in another color. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I collect the pieces of insight I find on the street and sew them into a quilt of understanding.
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010 09:36:43 AM »

I love it! It's really cute, and I really like the color. I think that after a few months of dark winter colors, having something bright to wear on a cold day sounds like a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreyAward

Gusset both ways?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010 09:44:35 AM »

Lovely!
Since it is 100% wool it should dye fairly easily. You should test dye a piece of yarn before trying the whole garment.
Congratulations on a knit well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If  you want to personal swap, pm me!
mansonette
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010 10:33:17 AM »

I think this looks great on you...yellow and all!  Even though you think yellow may not be your color, I think you should leave it.  Sometimes you just get an itching to do something out of the norm and it will make you feel special on some cold winter day.  (Maybe you were subconciously planning for this kind of day.)

You did a great job!!  Especially with all the adjustments and deviating from that pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010 11:14:49 AM »

this is lovely and looks wonderful on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marnster
Citizen of the Planet

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010 11:57:33 AM »

Great job! The darts are perfect! As for the color- I agree- test dye a bit of yarn. Also try to use a cold dye- wool felts and shrinks in hot/warm water. :-) Knitpicks.com always has great advice and nice dyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, Marni

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun", Katharine Hepburn
syrlig
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010 12:18:58 PM »

Thanks everyone! It's great to hear that it looks nice from someone else too Cheesy

Great job! The darts are perfect! As for the color- I agree- test dye a bit of yarn. Also try to use a cold dye- wool felts and shrinks in hot/warm water. :-) Knitpicks.com always has great advice and nice dyes.

Thanks! And testing on some yarn is a great idea! Yeah, I was a bit worried with the whole felting-thing. Thanks for the tips, I will deff check out knitpicks!

And if it dosnt work it might be true that yellow will be a good thing come desember ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I collect the pieces of insight I find on the street and sew them into a quilt of understanding.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010 02:37:59 PM »

It looks fantastic! Wonderful job. Your modifications resulted in such a perfect fit.

I think the color is great on you - especially with that red lipstick Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
syrlig
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010 03:41:49 PM »

I think the color is great on you - especially with that red lipstick Wink.

Red lipstick makes everything fabulous! Cheesy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WorkingJackie
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010 03:35:54 PM »

Wow! Everything about this is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Cheesy Beef Pizza
How To Make Gluten Free Flatbread
How to Make Last Supper Tarragon Peas with Carla Hall
How to Make Veggie Jambalaya
Sourdough Waffle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...