A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sharing space with crafting materials  (Read 780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkladymajesta
« on: July 04, 2010 07:59:54 AM »

So my husband and I are planning on moving next month into a townhouse and I just can't wait! I have decided that my husband needs his space more than I do so he is getting the spare bedroom as his man-cave Cheesy I have been downsizing my craft and art supplies to fit into my dining room and perhaps a closet. My main work area will be the dining room but I don't want it to look like a craft room when I put everything away. I would love one of these http://www.hobbyhideaway.com but need a much lower budget plan. Does anyone have any tips on storage and organization that still looks nice but not cluttered? I am not sure where I am going to put my computer desk yet but I don't mind seeing that in my living room because it can be kept clean and neat. Thanks for your help Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lydiaharper
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010 09:28:14 AM »

I am probably no help at all, but I have the same problem.  I have been trying to think of ways to organize, but not have to totally put everything away each time I want/need to craft. (I have 3 kids, so I start and stop alot  Grin)

I have a pretty big desk that will be crafting/computer, so it has to stay neat and tidy, then a big 6ft tall bookshelf I *stole* from my sister when she moved out of my parents house.  I am trying to figure out a way to "close off the bookshelf", making it kinda like the hobby desk. I bought some shutters from a thrift store, and am thinking of using some of them to make doors for the shelves.  But, I don't have enough to cover the whole thing.  So, that's where I am right now. 

Maybe search craigslist, flea markets, thrift store, etc for an old armoire?

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrisSews
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010 06:52:31 PM »

I see a lot of TV armoire/entertainment centers on craigslist and yard sales. It seems everyone is getting rid of the cabinets when they get a flat screen. 

It should be pretty easy to mod these into a crafting hideaway.  If you can find a computer one you'll already have a slide out tray.  You could also add more sliding shelves or a fold down desk without too much trouble.  It should also be pretty easy to add more shelves across the space intended for the TV.

If you have another flat surface (like the dinning room table) to work on but you want to be able to move your work without putting everything away then you could buy several large serving trays (again easy to find at thrift shops/yard sales).  Use the serving tray as your work surface for you scrapbook pages, beads, or whatever smaller flatter projects you've working on.  When you need to put it away just pick up the tray and slide it one the shelves.  You can stack multiple trays on top of each other or build narrow shelves to fit each tray. 

For bigger or bulkier items I like to keep everything in a basket.  I do this for my sewing projects.  Everything I need for my current project (material, thread, zippers, buttons, pattern, etc) is thrown into a "work in progress" basket.  When I'm done working everything goes back in the basket so it's easy to find again next time I have time and I don't have to waste time trying to figure out what I did with the pieces.  It's easy to just pick up the entire basket and slide it on a shelf when I need to clean up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
lydiaharper
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010 07:42:06 AM »

Great ideas, ChrisSews.

darkladymajesta, let us know what you come up with.

By the good graces of the crafting gods, my friend found an awesome looking armoire and talked the lady selling it from $50 to $20!!  I will be using some of your ideas, ChrisSews, to make it work even better.

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010 08:22:27 PM »

you can get drawer slides at most any hardware store or the actual undermount keyboard drawer slides at some places, quick googling shows a lot of options, those work nicely for a pull out smallish table surface that you can slide back into a cabinet and shut the doors.

You can use MDF or plywood or most any flat surface and use hinges to add them to an existing bookcase so that you can hide stuff away... you can use whiteboard/corkboard/chalkboard on the inside to use for doodling/moodboards/sketching ideas whatever you choose, or handy for when you need to keep kids/pets safe is to use pegboard to hang tools on like scissors that you want readily available for you but not for injuring small/furry people. you can grab a lock at the same places you can snag the drawer slides... having things I didn't want anyone injured with but available to me led me to that solution :} you can do the same thing mounting a medicine cabinet on a wall and putting pegboard or containers inside and some of those already come with a lock so you don't need to install one. using doors to mount things on helps as a space saver for me since quarters are always cramped..

i like to use large flat baskets or else a tray to put my supplies on... inbetween use i can put them up on top of a bookshelf or temporarily slide them under another piece of furniture to get them out of the way while i have to do other things.. 

i tend to work on multiple projects at a time and since most of them are small i can use ziplock baggies to store all the materials for each one.. sometimes i'll set a project up w/ all the supplies- pattern, fabric, trim so that it's ready to go when i have time/inclination.. they can get pinned to a corkboard so i can see them and be reminded to not ignore them.. larger/heavier ones go in suitcases and that's been working pretty well for me because it's also mobile and i can just grab the supplies and set up where ever in our home..

anyway, topic caught my attention because we've been having to try and make our home look like uhm a home rather than a hobby shop Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Heat Displacement - Shake 4.1
How to Create an Animation - SideFX Houdini
How to Use the Copy SOP - SideFX Houdini
How to Use Metaballs - SideFX Houdini
How to Texture - SideFX Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...